Don't forget to cycle your RAM stick positions every year.

1337Goat

Gawd
Wait what.

Well, I just opened my PC and felt my RAM. The one in A1 is warm, and the others are cool.
That means that A1 is always used first for everything, and the others only get used when I have a need to fill them.

Well, not much fills 32GB of RAM, so I wouldn't be surprised if the RAM in the further slots is fresher. I don't want them to die at different times of course, so I just went and pulled them out and put them back in, putting the previous first DIMM into the last slot, and the 2nd DIMM into the first slot, and so on.

I've never done this before, but it seems at least mildly logical.

Any thoughts?

Or it could just mean the airflow is worse, or it’s catching more heat radiating from the cpu / gpu

Multi channel memory spreads utilisation by definition.

RAM doesn’t really wear out, unless it is being run out of spec. It’s not even that prone to connections drying out because of the way it’s made and definitely not transistors ‘wearing out’

Like have at it, it won’t do any harm, but ram is one of the longest living parts of any computer. Power supplies, drives and overclocked cpus. They’re the malignant fuckers as they get old.

Never worried about it. Ram is pretty resilient and ram failures seem more a result of high voltage or randomness, but not typical use.

That being said, always turn your heatsink fan back for daylight savings, and forward in the winter for that extra heat.

As far as "general advice", I'd be careful as not all machine have uniform (same) memory.

Good catch, Iratus. That's really true, regarding multi-channel use.
Well, I invented this "advice" myself, so I wouldn't dare call it tried or tested or even true.

So yeah, considering that aspect, what I said is likely not true or relevant.

But this thread is still good information for a person to find in the future, considering you've essentially debunked my claim.
No need to have bogus computer advice around. I hate false claims.

Back