Don't forget to clean your 7800 GT's

So yeah, after I took out my 7800 GT to put in the GTX, I took off the to cover and found this. My idle temps were still around 44c but it would start artifacting in cs:s even at stock speeds. I assumed it was dusty but I didn't think there would be a wall of it.

7800gt1lg.jpg

holy cow... :eek:

do you place your computer on a carpetted floor?

i usually vacuum the inside of my computer every 2-3 months to prevent dust buildup.

WOW! I clean my computer weekly, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. I take a can of air and carefully blow out all fans and the vid cards, etc. Excessive? Maybe, but I love to take good care of the gear I work so hard for.

I thought you are not supposed to vacuum inside the pc due to the static produced? Or was i misinformed?

I change things so often in mine there isn't any time for dust buildup, hehe. I usually end up having it apart once a month and take the time to clean everything then.

That reminds me of the picture of what they pulled out of a buddies lint tray in his dryer a few weeks ago. He didn't know you had to clean it routinely and it had built up over the last year or so of living inhis apartment. you could actually fold the lint they pulled off of it because it was so thick, lmao.

AppaYipYip said:
WOW! I clean my computer weekly, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week. I take a can of air and carefully blow out all fans and the vid cards, etc. Excessive? Maybe, but I love to take good care of the gear I work so hard for.
i love those can of air

wish they weren't so expensive, i just use my vacuum cleaner :)

that's a fire hazard with the lint tray... he coulda killed everyone in that house!

anthongy817 said:
holy cow... :eek:

do you place your computer on a carpetted floor?

i usually vacuum the inside of my computer every 2-3 months to prevent dust buildup.

I keep my PC off of the floor for precisely this reason.

And damn at the dust build up on that fan..

I've heard that about the vacuum cleaner causing static but one thing you should definitely not do is put it directly on a fan.. A friend of mine did that and it created a generator burning out the fan header (for the NB of all things). So if you do put it on a fan, unplug it from the board.

I frequently sprayed compressed air into the opening, but I was either too late or I should have taken it apart and done it.

Yeah, the dust in my apartment is killer. I'm moving my main rig into my "lair" this week and it won't be close to the ground anymore, the carpets in here shed like crazy.

You can also invest in some filters too. My stacker has them on every opening and i DEFINITELY see a decrease in dust inside. Its like there is none and ive been on 24/7 since christmas. All I do is clean the filters from the 5 1/4 bay covers and thats it!

Same issue killed a 6800Ultra at my friends place, it reached 110 ºc while on NFSMW, damned thin fins heatsinks, they get covered by dust in like a couple of months :(

Be really careful vacuuming inside a case. Most vacuum cleaners shoot out tons of static electricity. Canned air is much safer for this sort of thing.

yikes... I just usually dust mine with the compressed air about once every week :D

Wow. thats a lot..of...dust. I know my GTX had some dust but i just blew it out and it was fine, nowhere near enough to limit airflow.

I remember back when I had my 6800gt with my NV silencer I was getting unusually high temps of IIRC 70C idle. So I take it out and take the cover off, and here I see that there was no possible way for air to flow through the vent with all of the dust in the way :cool: . I blow out all of the dust and my temps drop back down to 50C idle.

Moral of the story....same as the thread title :p

i do it a bit more routine like weekly or every 2 weeks, and be careful with canned air or air compressor, depending on air compressor can be quite powerful enough to break a capacitor or 2 off i suppose, and with canned air the whole accidentally using it upside down and liquid shooting out. :)

Back