DONT Buy ASUS and here is why.....

You lacked foresight and you got burned. That does not diminish in any way the fact that yes, Asus screwed up, and yes they are responsible for fixing the problem. However, as another poster stated, be happy they offered you the option of sending you another chip for a measly $5. Most companies would have told you to RMA the whole board, shipping at your cost. They offered you a solution that in my eyes is very reasonable, all things considered. Yes, great customer service would have been to send you the chip for free, but $5 isn't an unreasonable amount nor does it make Asus a terrible company out to screw people at any given moment.

CS Depts love customers like you. Customers has CS depts that think like you.

If this was a case of the poster screwing up on flashing his bios, you'd have a point, but that's not what happened.

Asus f***ed up, and they should replace the bios at their expense with an apology for inconveniencing a valued customer.

You can argue that he should have waited for someone else to try it first and post feedback, and that's some good advice, but somebody has to be the first to try it and whoever that was ended up with a hosed board and deserves a free bios sent their way.

Asus's policy is penny wise, pound foolish

No, it doesn't. Mine is just fine. Hopefully you didn't use Asus Update did you?

Wouldn't it be common for someone to use the MB's bios update utility? Still seems like an issue that's Asus' fault and thus they should replace the bios at their expense.

I have had awesome experiences with ASUS motherboards in the past as I've said before. Only with the Striker have I ever needed to contact ASUS support. I have to say that I was not pleased by their response. I was livid that I had to use my own money to pay for a BIOS chip that was only needed because their flashing software and BIOS flash failed.

This doesn't mean that I won't buy ASUS in the future, I just hope that if I do, I won't need their support again.

wow wonder how many asus mobos this guy has owned hehe.. as others say asus has low quality ive seen agp ports go out, sound go out, pci stop working endless problems but you hear about them because asus is popular. i wonder what percentage of the asus motherboards will never have any problems at all.. i have a pIII sony vaio with asus mobo that has been flawless since 1999! but that motherboard doesn't have alot to go wrong, no agp port even!

I have had bad luck with EVERY brand of motherboard at one time or another. If I quit using each company, I would not be able to build my own computer.

wow wonder how many asus mobos this guy has owned hehe.. as others say asus has low quality ive seen agp ports go out, sound go out, pci stop working endless problems but you hear about them because asus is popular. i wonder what percentage of the asus motherboards will never have any problems at all.. i have a pIII sony vaio with asus mobo that has been flawless since 1999! but that motherboard doesn't have alot to go wrong, no agp port even!

This many: (That I can remember)

P2L97
P2B
P2B-D
A7V-133A
P4B266
P4B533-E Deluxe
P4P800-Deluxe
P4C800-Deluxe
A8N-E
A8N-SLI Deluxe
P5W DH (Currently used in my LAN box.)
P5N32-E SLI (Sold)
Striker Extreme (Currently in use)

I've also reviewed several. Of those I've had very few problems. Boards reviewed so far:

A8R-MVP
A8N32-SLI Deluxe
A8R32-MVP Deluxe
M2N32-SLI Deluxe
P5B-Deluxe WiFi/AP
Striker Extreme (I had issues with this one as mentioned in the review)

I have also built several machines for customers using ASUS motherboards. I'd actually bet that there are only a few of the mainstream ASUS models that I haven't worked with in the last 10 years. I've not worked with nearly as many Micro-ATX motherboards or lower end boards. To date I've only even touched a handful of ASROCK boards either.

I've never seen any DOA ASUS boards and I've rarely replaced one due to failure. In my personal machines I've yet to replace a bad one.

I've never seen any DOA ASUS boards and I've rarely replaced one due to failure. In my personal machines I've yet to replace a bad one.
QFT
every ASUS board I have ever used has been solid.

1. After realizing what happened to me I went to Asus's Forum where I have posted and where I have seen another poster here named Texxx. The Asus Forum was not available. I waited a bit and I was yes very angry. Since I could not worn people with the Striker in the Striker Forum or any Asus forum I thought where might I worn people, so I came here.

2. I meant only to save people the anguish I suffered and to help

3. As I have said in this thread EVERY motherboard I have except my laptop is an Asus board. I listed them before and its 5 different boards. I have not had any problems with these boards. In fact I absolutely HAIL the P2B. It has enabled me to write 3 CDs of music. I still have it and use it. It has 3 ISA Sound Cards in it and I use Cakewalk vs 6. Outdated yes but I have my own style with the system as I do as a musician.

4. I made a detailed estimate of cost I spent on each item down to a FRIGGiN FAN for Christ sake. LOL My estimate was over 5500 dollars I think. I am not looking for the post because....... Its irrelevant to numbers 1 2 3.

Now if you cant figure out by now that I have been stung hard by this being a HUGE Asus supporter for YEARS then I dont know whats wrong with you.

The customer service is pathetic. It has been stated by me an others here. So I have come to a decision that it might be in my best interest to select another brand board in the future based on how I was treated on the phone. If they had simply provided the expected TECHNICAL SUPPORT and assured me that this would be taken care of as soon as humanly possible then I wouldn't be pissed...

The thread would have been named like..

"If you have a Asus Striker Extreme don't update to the 803 there forum is down"

Asus left people for sitting ducks over the weekend of 2-2-07 the release date of 803

Now I have read every single post in here and I am at the conclusion that the posts regarding how much I paid are meant to turn this into a flame war and get the thread locked. It probably will BUT.......

I already know that I accomplished somewhat what I wanted. To get people not to flash the bios and to rethink future purchases due to the handling of the issue by a Technical Support department that is absolutely clueless.

Now here is the most alarming thing I believe I have read. Some people in here I think said they were told to RMA the entire board and not even given an oportunity to buy a new Bios chip. That is not fair and if you read my posts I told you they have a "Bios Department" which in fact has a VERY nice lady handling it. She is smart and knows whats going on. I talked with her a while. If you happen to be in my boat DONT RMA your board. Bypass Tech support by hitting 0 and ask for the Bios Department. The lady there is an entirely different world. She sounded genuinely caring about what happened and she in fact called me today while I was at work.

Now if it is true that Striker owners who fell victim to this Bios Flash have been told to RMA the board rather then get a new Chip.

That in it of it self should tell you don't buy another Asus board. So everthing I have said from the beginning is correct except the estimated cost of all my parts including Vista Ultimate at 430 including tax.

For your info there is an 804 bios already and it may be released soon. For me?
The BFG 680i is a fine motherboard. No SCP in an SLI config. I can overclock the hell out of it so why should I put the Striker back in my box when I am getting better performance from The BFG. Yea and it was expensive. It cost 350 including tax at CompUSA.

Was it worth it to me? Yea I could get up and go to work the next day and deal with my customers and not be all wound up inside over it.

That covers every frigging angle in this thread from any speculation about motive, cost of parts and who knows.

I am actually a nice guy but when pissed off I am not. I usually use music for that outlet.

I am over it now.

I am giving the Bios department Kudos for the ladies kindness and consern about her companies Tech department. Hey maybe things will change and when future customers call Asus support they will be treated like a human being . You know.

It would be a good thing for the company to revamp their technical support department.
They will lose business if they don't.

I cant clarify any of the subject matter any better.

I in fact bought the Striker Extreme for $175 plus shipping when NewEgg was selling it for over 400 at the time so I did bargain shop. and I LIKE THE DAMN WINDOWS ON MY RAPTOR X DRIVES.

well by your list id say your a fan and paid off by asus! no one buys that many mobo models and not of all one brand!!! unbelievable.. i actually buy asrock mobos for budget pcs that people want and they work flawless ..pcie with 478 cpu 30$ newegg

well by your list id say your a fan and paid off by asus! no one buys that many mobo models and not of all one brand!!! unbelievable.. i actually buy asrock mobos for budget pcs that people want and they work flawless ..pcie with 478 cpu 30$ newegg

I am sure that equivalently to people having different purchasing habits when it comes to clothes, apartments, houses, cars and food, people have different motherboard purchasing habits. Just because you do not purchase that many mobos or not that many from the same company does not mean that no one does that unless he or she is paid off. I am glad to hear that AsRock motherboards work for you. From the small amount I know about Dan_D and you, I conclude that his motherboard preferences are different from yours.

Wouldn't it be common for someone to use the MB's bios update utility? Still seems like an issue that's Asus' fault and thus they should replace the bios at their expense.

In 2007 I think you are right. However there used to be a time when people did not flash their BIOS' like others change their underwear. Back then people were suggesting to "never change a running system"...

Anyway: Asus should have replaced the bios chip at their expense (how much is a 4MBit EEPROM in 2 million quantities anyway?) given that the problem was caused by a malfunction of their software and not user error or environmental conditions.

Oh wait, they were just jealousy fueled statements.

Where do you get jealousy from anything I've said? Get it straight kid. I don't list my rigs because a) I'm not flashy with my money and b) just listing the 4 that are hooked up at this moment, I wouldn't have enough room in my sig. I'll just state for the record that his computer is nothing for ME to be jealous of, so instead of making assumptions why don't you go back and read what I said one last time and make sure you understand it before you reply again. kthxbye.

5 bucks for a new bios chip doesn't seem too bad though. Yes if there is an issue with the bios on the site they should just give it to you but still whats 5 bucks?

Personaly I try to avoid asus motherboards just because I always seem to have issues getting driver files from their website. Site is slow and half the time I use to get FTP down messages from them.

5 bucks is 2 jamaican beef patties w/mozzarella on cocoa bread and a soda for lunch....
said lunch being robbed from me by ASUS, if their file toasts your bios, I say it's up to them to pay it.... it's not alot of money, but rather is the principle of the whole thing

That's why he is the motherboard editor. I'm sure Dan has purchased other boards as well that are not from Asus.

Crashman: I'm glad you got things taken care but you completely blew everything out of proportion in this thread. You say that you came here to "warn" people about the Striker Extreme yet you turned it into an all out boycott/protest of Asus products. I hope your 680i holds up because I'd hate to hear about that one too.

That's why he is the motherboard editor. I'm sure Dan has purchased other boards as well that are not from Asus.

Crashman: I'm glad you got things taken care but you completely blew everything out of proportion in this thread. You say that you came here to "warn" people about the Striker Extreme yet you turned it into an all out boycott/protest of Asus products. I hope your 680i holds up because I'd hate to hear about that one too.

No I did no such thing. Try going to the Asus Striker forum and see how many people have dead boards or systems that may in fact be severely overvolted and may be damaging their hardware and they don't even realize it. In a way I am probably lucky that My computer wouldn't boot thus subjecting it to apparently not just the Vcore but other high voltage settings detected by PC probe. Whats done is done. A lot of people got burned. It really sucks that Asus is actually forcing some to RMA their board. I read one post where someone has already received 2 chips back for 25 dollars and 35 and apparently they were defective in some way. The entire ordeal has turned into way more than my thread depicts. Go to the Asus site and read for yourself.

As for my BFG 680i board I will gladly tell you about it. I runs flawlessly as I said earlier. I can run my E6700 beyond now 3.65 ghz. I have heard people OCing these processors as high as 4 ghz. I didnt see how when I was using the Striker. I am going to sit tight at 3.65 for a while and see how stable it is in long games. but the most important thing to know is how the entire purchase transpired.

1. I first called BFG tech support and spoke to a very nice guy here in the states. I could understand him clearly. I told him exactly what happened with the Striker. He was surprised as how they would release that bios and felt for my situation. I then told him that CompUSA was selling the BFG 680i board and asked what he thought of it.

He told me "Its a really solid board".

That to me was an honest legitimate statement and truthful. He stayed on the phone with me for quite some time after several questions and I felt based on our discussion I would be quite happy purchasing it the same day my Striker died. So I went to the Store, bought it and returned home and disassembled my PC installing the new Board. Everything went fine. My Zalman 9700 fit fine on it. I then scrutinized the manual and because of my own lack of familiarity with the creation of the Raid XP disk which is a universal nVidia procedure I found myself where I needed to call tech support again.

Well this time I got a different Technician, so I quickly told him the situation and he was extremely cool and told me exactly how to make the disk from the BFG CD. He sat on the phone with me during the initial install of XP and I told him when I was cool.

BUT the most rewarding thing about BFGs 24/7 support was this new technician told me I had to flash to the P24 bios and due to my nightmare experience with Asus he politely sat on the phone with me through the entire procedure and in fact he prayed it wouldnt fail for both of us. Sure enough the Pheonix bios flashed fine and I have much more than a solid motherboard.

I am way more pleased with it than initially thought. It Overclocks very nicelly and I am getting better performance from it than the Striker. You can look at the BFG yourself and see that it is about the same as the EVGA.

So that is my experience. I am watching Amityville Horror (the original) on it right now in full screen on my 21 inch display as I am typing on my other computer.

Anyone can try to make me out to be wrong but the truth is out there just go look. If you look at their forum you will see that over the weekend No one was complaining. Thats because the forum was unavailable to us. Well now people are complaining. From around the world.

I did help some people. I am not the only one making the judgment call on QC with Asus go read for yourself.

I am not going to even post on there anymore. I personally feel I will not receive a good Bios chip just like the guy I read. I have a really bad feeling I have been ripped clean off for 400 dollars and an enormous amount of aggravation.

So due to the fact that Asus is charging people for the chips and in some cases forcing RMAs the company is suspect for making an inferior product. Until I read differently from other Asus Striker users I stick to the entire contents of this thread. Everyone believes that the Quality of the company is going down hill and apparently there are problems with other motherboards going on right now as well.

People who actually care and read through this thread WILL go to Asus Striker forum and read for themselves. They may find more info elsewhere.

This entire ordeal reminds me of an Intel chipset that was recalled years ago. I cant remember the name of it but I bet the guys reviewing boards here and the [H] forum admins and moderators probably know. My Supermicro board was recalled and I got a refund from the company I bought it from. This was a Nation or Worldwide recall sponsored by Intel.
A15 chipset something like that.

Asus is showing absolutely no professionalism with this situation. No one should be charged. If the only good bios there is is 701 everyone should get a brand new GOOD 701 chip no questions asked but there not. Tech support is doing what they did to me over the phone. I am not dealing with them anymore. I have told people in this thread what to do. If you are a Striker owner you can get a chip sent to you free and not given any crap about it.

Thats about enough slamming me when I obviously am not mad anymore. I am bummed out in that I have most likely wasted my money. I will probably sell the board on ebay and get what I can out of it. I don't think I will build another computer. But you never know I am getting lawsuit money. I might.

Honestly I've had to deal with Asus customer support on two separate occasions. One was described in this post http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1106143 and I understand that I just had to buy a floppy drive and install the BIOS on there but the customer service was HORRIBLE I got hung up on 3 times. The guy I was talking to had no idea what EEPROM was and transfered me to another department. I was on hold for ten minutes and click dial tone. I called right back no problem right maybe someone hit the wrong button. The next guy kept saying that I should be the 5 dollar chip from them with the new BIOS on it. It was going to take 20 days to get to me and there was no guarantee that it was going to work.
The other time I called was to do with the sound pops from the on board sound same thing got hung up on. I told the tech that this was a widely discussed issue on the web and he said that's funny I've never heard of it then says he's going to transfer me but of course he hung up the phone again, I called right back and what do you know I got the same guy. Same response click then dial tone. I purchased this board in Feb of 06 and paid 230 for it on NewEgg and it was total BS the way I was handled. Customer service is a direct reflection of a companies quality and product and when you pay premium you should get it all the way around not just on a product that(when its convenient for them) does what they say it will do.

My contribution to this:

I had the same thing happen. I flashed my Striker Extreme to 0803 and that was it. Hit power, little blip and no power. Tried everything to revive it. I took the CPU and ram and plugged it into a Commando board. No problems. Obviously CPU and RAM were fine.

I talked with the retailer where I got the board - 6 weeks to do the RMA. I talked with the ASUS RMA department - ship to ASUS in Kentucky, my cost, no time estimate given as they had no stock on the Striker. Talked with ASUS tech support who suggested I get a replacement BIOS chip and was going to transfer me to that person. In short, nothing that was about to give me a working computer anytime soon.

So, I decided to take it to the retailer and have them RMA it (at least I don't have to pay shipping). Standard procedure is for them to test it. So he plugs in a CPU, memory and power and the damn thing powered up, posted and worked, 0803 an all! It's gotta be the CPU type! He tested it with a Celeron whereas I am running a Core 2 Duo E6600. I asked him to test it with a Core 2 Duo. He did not have one but he plugged in a Pentium D. That worked too! So, we flashed it back to 0701 and now that I am home I will try it out again. I'm sure it'll work now. The board is fine, just the BIOS doesn't seem to work with the Core 2.

I'm guessing whatever ASUS did with the bios, they did not test it with the Core 2 Duo, or at least not the particular one I (and probably others here) have.

Maybe this will help some of you here. Borrow someone's older CPU and you should be able to get a POST and you should be able to flash back to 0701 and be back in business.

To the previous poster. I can tell they are screwing you over. It took me some time of argueing with the superviser before he divulged the name of the lady in the Bios Department. Her name is Kara. So when you call hit zero so you can get the receptionist and ask to talk to Kara in the Bios Department. She at least sounded legit and is sending me a couple of chips. Even a risky one which I dont want to use. She wants me to beta test 804. I Mean I think she means well but I dont know whats in that chip.

So now you know exactly what to do . You have the ladies name. The ASSHOLE PHONE GUYS are screwing everyone over. I get really pissed on the phone. Most people dont. I guess its playing Punk Rock and Heavy Metal all my life. I dont take shit.

So try that before they totally rip you off. its a better try then sending your board back.. They have the chips man. There is absolutely no excuse not to send you a new chip and Kara agreed with me. She supposedly was going to take care of these assholes in techsupport. Apparently it has had no effect yet. I am calling her back and I will find out more. She was not happy at all at how they are trying to charge everyone money.

Im telling you its crap, lies and someone at the top needs to find out. Believe me If I dont get the chips and if they dont work I will be on the phone to the highest person in the company at least in the USA.

I hope that helped you out. I figured people would have taken my advise and figured out what I was trying to say with out giving a name. I am used to phone support and getting around by pushing the right buttons. Again She Quoted to me that non of us should be charged.

Good Luck

I am sure that equivalently to people having different purchasing habits when it comes to clothes, apartments, houses, cars and food, people have different motherboard purchasing habits. Just because you do not purchase that many mobos or not that many from the same company does not mean that no one does that unless he or she is paid off. I am glad to hear that AsRock motherboards work for you. From the small amount I know about Dan_D and you, I conclude that his motherboard preferences are different from yours.

I wouldn't say that is entirely true. I am a big fan of the Striker Extreme for the most part.

In 2007 I think you are right. However there used to be a time when people did not flash their BIOS' like others change their underwear. Back then people were suggesting to "never change a running system"...

If I am satisfied with my overclock and I have no reason to change the BIOS (No problems the BIOS updates are needed to solve) then I don't. My P5W DH is still running BIOS 1305 for that reason.

Anyway: Asus should have replaced the bios chip at their expense (how much is a 4MBit EEPROM in 2 million quantities anyway?) given that the problem was caused by a malfunction of their software and not user error or environmental conditions.

This is my MAIN complaint. To force me to purchase a BIOS chip because their BIOS update software (in Windows) and their BIOS flash ROM failed. It's not like I lost power during the update or had anything else running in the background. Anti-Virus and all other programs were turned off and the system was idle when I performed the flash update. I've done this a million times without incident.

I truly think that ASUS has been releasing shitty BIOS images for the Striker Extreme. I've found out first hand just what difference a BIOS can make on this thing. BIOS 0505 was a HUGE improvement over 0402 or 0403, or whatever the first one was I reviewed the board with.

The board has a great layout, solid cooling and a badass feature set. Unfortunately in the overclocking department they haven't been the best in my experience. I wish they'd get their shit together and take some responsibility for their mistakes. It seems to be the way of things these days to blame Microsoft or someone/some company other than your own company for any problem related to personal computing.

Did you even read my previous post? Did they screw you and make you RMA your board?
If you have a chance dont let them get a hold of it.

What I said in the previous post is truth. Call and find out tomorrow

Where do you get jealousy from anything I've said? Get it straight kid. I don't list my rigs because a) I'm not flashy with my money and b) just listing the 4 that are hooked up at this moment, I wouldn't have enough room in my sig. I'll just state for the record that his computer is nothing for ME to be jealous of, so instead of making assumptions why don't you go back and read what I said one last time and make sure you understand it before you reply again. kthxbye.

Nice... an insult is all you can come up with? :rolleyes:

This many: (That I can remember)

P2L97
P2B
P2B-D
A7V-133A
P4B266
P4B533-E Deluxe
P4P800-Deluxe
P4C800-Deluxe
A8N-E
A8N-SLI Deluxe
P5W DH (Currently used in my LAN box.)
P5N32-E SLI (Sold)
Striker Extreme (Currently in use)

I've also reviewed several. Of those I've had very few problems. Boards reviewed so far:

A8R-MVP
A8N32-SLI Deluxe
A8R32-MVP Deluxe
M2N32-SLI Deluxe
P5B-Deluxe WiFi/AP
Striker Extreme (I had issues with this one as mentioned in the review)

I have also built several machines for customers using ASUS motherboards. I'd actually bet that there are only a few of the mainstream ASUS models that I haven't worked with in the last 10 years. I've not worked with nearly as many Micro-ATX motherboards or lower end boards. To date I've only even touched a handful of ASROCK boards either.

You mean to tell me that I had more asus boards than the HardOCP reviewer?!?

Crash[man];1030601163 said:
Did you even read my previous post? Did they screw you and make you RMA your board?

No, I ordered a new BIOS chip. I wasn't going to let them get ahold of the board.

The problem isn't with the Core 2. But it is, however, a problem with the BIOS not resetting itself to default once flashed. For this reason the board will not boot with the new BIOS if you have previously setup the board to overclock. If you are able to place a compatible chip in the board (other that the original) and boot the computer, reflash to the 0701 BIOS, you will be fine.

For anyone who may not know this already, it is absolutely STUPID to flash your BIOS with a board that is overclocked. Everyone knows that with a board overclocked you are much, much more susceptible to data corruption. In addition to the data corruption issue, this is yet another great example why you should NOT flash while you are overclocked!

The problem isn't with the Core 2. But it is, however, a problem with the BIOS not resetting itself to default once flashed. For this reason the board will not boot with the new BIOS if you have previously setup the board to overclock. If you are able to place a compatible chip in the board (other that the original) and boot the computer, reflash to the 0701 BIOS, you will be fine.

For anyone who may not know this already, it is absolutely STUPID to flash your BIOS with a board that is overclocked. Everyone knows that with a board overclocked you are much, much more susceptible to data corruption. In addition to the data corruption issue, this is yet another great example why you should NOT flash while you are overclocked!

I hear you and what you are saying makes sense on a technical level. If the system is REALLY stable and not just "thought to be stable" then it shouldn't matter. I've been flashing BIOS' and overclocking since 1995 or 1996 and I've never had any problems. The ASUS Striker Extreme BIOS flash to 0802 is the first failure I've ever had I couldn't recover from. The first failure I had was on an Intel PR440FX dual Pentium Pro board with two Pentium Pro 180MHz CPUs on it overclocked to 200MHz. I had one BIOS flash failure, and I had to use Intel's recovery proceedures outlined on the website and online manual for the board to recover. I was back up and running in less than 30 minutes with research on the recovery proceedure included.

Crash[man];1030601163 said:

One might ask you the same question, given that dan replied with
Dan_D said:
No, I ordered a new BIOS chip. I wasn't going to let them get ahold of the board.

;)

I have a Crosshair, one of the top AMD AM2 boards, and it rocks. No problems.

I also have a Nforce 2 Ultra 400 board from Asus with Soundstorm, A7N8X Deluxe, which is still running just fine. Although they did screw up a little on the analog audio ports for that board, but whatever.

I don't get it how can you overlook the Customer Service does no one care about this, is this acceptable should I forget about it? No one has said anything good about it unless they just wanted to RMA there board which Asus seems to be happy to do without any questions but what about the people needing Tech support or just have questions are they expected to post them on forums and hope some one with a little more tech knowledge then them has had the same problem?

I hear you and what you are saying makes sense on a technical level. If the system is REALLY stable and not just "thought to be stable" then it shouldn't matter. I've been flashing BIOS' and overclocking since 1995 or 1996 and I've never had any problems. The ASUS Striker Extreme BIOS flash to 0802 is the first failure I've ever had I couldn't recover from. The first failure I had was on an Intel PR440FX dual Pentium Pro board with two Pentium Pro 180MHz CPUs on it overclocked to 200MHz. I had one BIOS flash failure, and I had to use Intel's recovery proceedures outlined on the website and online manual for the board to recover. I was back up and running in less than 30 minutes with research on the recovery proceedure included.

While i respect your experience in this field, i still stick to my point that you are *more* likely to have a bad flash if your board is being pushed past what it was *designed* for. That being sad, it is pointless to add an extra variable into the situation when flashing your BIOS...

That 0803 BIOS seems to kill just certain versions of the Striker. Some flash fine, others it kills the CMOS/BIOS chip, regardless of overclocking or not. We have seen this problem over on our small Asus Independent Forum. Asus has pulled that BIOS version off their site.

Unfortunately for us, Asus tech support has gone from really really bad to nonexistent. Generally you get a canned statement about upgrading your drivers and flashing to the latest BIOS regardless of the problem. Also it seems their quality assurance program has gone to hell.

It seems to be the way of things these days to blame Microsoft or someone/some company other than your own company for any problem related to personal computing.

THAT'S a real statement. If it is possible to point a finger in a different direction, many PC parts companies will try to do so. It's even worse with software. And God forbid you have a problem with a game or a piece of hardware and complain about it, though. You will be accused of everything from being an idiot to a liar if you are even the least bit upset that you didn't get what you paid for.

While I can understand a company trying to do it in a very misguided attempt to prevent RMAs, I can't understand fellow endusers that do it. Why there are people that troll tech support forums waiting to flame people with problems is beyond me. Why even look in a thread titled "I'm having a problem with _______" if you aren't going to help or if you are sick of hearing complaints? That makes no sense to me

It is, unfortunately, the state of things, though. The few companies that don't do this I feel are genuinely worthy of my business, and I go out of my way to do business with them and recommend them. That does not include, however, flaming people that do have problems with a particular product. If you aren't going to help or plan to say anything beyond, "Sorry to hear you are having the problem", then stay the hell out of threads where people are reporting problems!

I'm glad to hear that you got a MB that works for you OP, and it is a shame you had to go through all of that trouble. ASUS really should have stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility for releasing a bad BIOS.

Why the hell would you pay $400 for a ASUS mobo? They have them at fries for over $100 less.

I don't get it how can you overlook the Customer Service does no one care about this, is this acceptable should I forget about it? No one has said anything good about it unless they just wanted to RMA there board which Asus seems to be happy to do without any questions but what about the people needing Tech support or just have questions are they expected to post them on forums and hope some one with a little more tech knowledge then them has had the same problem?

Customer service is generally something I don't think about because I don't ever need it. This is the first time I've needed ASUS Customer service in the 10 years I've been using ASUS motherboards. For most other hardware I haven't needed it either. Usually if something fails on me it happens within the normal RMA period to the retailer or e-tail site I got the part from in the first place.

Why the hell would you pay $400 for a ASUS mobo? They have them at fries for over $100 less.

Not the same board. You are probably thinking of the other version which is a tad more hacked down.

Heh.

It's amazing how much emotion the Asus Striker seems to bring out...not just in this thread either.

------------

OP ; I'm sorry to hear your having such a bad experience with ASUS customer support .I'm really surprized asus released a bios with that big of an issue , but playing the 'bleeding edge' game can be risky. Caveat Emptor . Hopefully you get it back up and running soon.

I fully agree with Dan_D on the point about never needing ASUS' customer support.( /me knocks wood).I've run asus boards since the 90's ; they are the only motherboards I ever use.To date , I have never had a problem with an ASUS product , and Ive done some really nasty shit to asus motherboards...

As one of the ~300 people that that actually own a Striker Extreme (e6600,pc-8000 mushkin redline,8800 GTX , etc) , I am completely satisfied with it so far . It OC's with little or no effort , it has a great thermal solution , the features and layout enhance it that much more.

-----

I think I'll probably wait on updating my bios tho.... :p

Back