DONT Buy ASUS and here is why.....

Back on topic, I agree with the original poster.

I have an EVGA 680i, it's perfectly fine, and amazingly, with P23 it overclocks like there's no tomorrow.

My previous computer was ASUS based, with ASUS everything. Damn Mobo couldn't handle an overclock of 100 mhz. And when I tried to flash, guess what, it hung. And there's only been one update since my board was made. This was 2001, fyi. 2001!!!

And recently my video card also went down, I call ASUS, they claim that it's not their problem since the GPU was from NVIDIA. The damn card was made by ASUS, and they wouldn't fix it. Granted the system isn't being used anymore, but it's annoying. When the computer was built, ASUS was good, now, they're craptacular.

STFU about all this money and grammar issues, since:

1. For the money, it's his damn money.
2. That's not the frigging topic.
3. This BS is gonna get this thread locked.

Wow Crash[Man], this is a BIG CHANGE from one of your first posts....

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1137865
"The Asus Striker Extreme does in fact kick butt!"

People are jealous... wish they had the money to spend on their systems like you have. Ignore the haters.

I appreciate the "heads up" you have given this forum about that BIOS. In every BIOS release, there has to be guniea pigs (even though the released BIOS files should be fully tested before release), sorry you were one of them, but I do appreciate the information.

Good Luck.

Tell you what is strange Crash[Man]...

A BIOS emerged for my K8N-DL (Dual Opteron Board)... recently... possibly same time as your BIOS. It was an OLD 1003 BIOS labelled as the most recent 1009, which didn't support Dual Core opterons... Those who flashed have had no end of problems having to remove CPU's in the hope of getting the board to boot so they can flash to 1008.

I am very wary of ASUS these days. Seems like someone is realeasing dodgy BIOS flashes on purpose? or are they just being very careless?

Apparently there are some peoples' boards who are working quite happily with the 0803 BIOS.

Is it possible the BIOS may have been corrupted in some way between download and Flash - i.e. A bad floppy was used?

loved my A8N-SLI, My A8N-SLI deluxe and my P5B-Deluxe.

All have been fabulous to me.

Where are you calling their support from? I was connected to a place in Kentucky when I called dealing with a BIOS issue. I spoke to a man with a very southern accent, with a strong grasp of North american geography and the English language. I was very pleased. Also, I was calling from Canada.

They RMA'd my board on the phone, and I had a new one in my hands (they even cross shipped) in about 7 days... Once again to Canada.

I've had nothing but great service from them, for their good products. To do this though, I'll admit you need to be very General with the problem. Or, worst comes to worse, fry the NB with static and send it back (I've had them tell me my board was fine, when the Sata controller had died on it) as a nonposter.

The Striker does have it's share of problems though, and that's why I wasn't to keen on going with a non intel Chipset for an intel Processor... Intel's always had a great track record for making their own NBs.

For the record, I've only had to RMA 2 Asus boards for my customers, and they make up about 75% of the boards I use... I've had to RMA 11 ECS and 14 Gigabyte boards last year alone, which make up the other 25%. Coincidence, possibly, but who knows.

This is just my opinion btw. And yes, I too, was very underwhelmed by the Striker. Too many LED's too inconsistant of a product.

You should post the phone number.

I can't say too much positive about Asus either. The P5W DH got great reviews last summer. I bought one and it turned out the board wouldn't boot up with a C2D. Why? Because Asus didn't test the board with retail cpu's. They had tested using engineering sample cpu's only.

The solution Asus gave was to tell people to buy a $50 Celeron to boot-up so that the new bios could be flashed. It wasn't until The Register ran an article about this fiasco that Asus offered to send new bios chips to stranded customers. On top of all this their Driver CD was a mess. People still can't get cetain functions working. A Tom's Hardware review had a P5W DH that wouldn't even recognize drives and they said not to buy it.

When I get Vista the Asus is coming out before I install it. Asus is not a bad company but they seem to be having real issues the last months. They aren't in same class with Intel all things considered.

Crash[man];1030589184 said:
Like I said I am a veteran system builder. The code is bad. Thats it. The machine powers up for 1 second and shuts down. It is happening to everyone with Striker Extreme boards that flash to the 0803 bios which is not a beta. The company is low rent to allow people over the weekend to ruin their boards. Like I said I briefly was able to see in the asus forum several people already falling victim to this.

The customer support is stupid and disrespectful. Believe me I gave them a crap load of breaks with answers like "we dont even have the manual yet" , "I didnt know there was a new bios"

They shouldnt have a job

Making blanket statements like this is what gets you burned. I have a Striker Extreme and I have flashed to 0803. My board works flawlessly. I've been building systems for 14 years now, using Asus motherboards for the past 8. They are the only boards I use.

Sounds like A.) User error on your part or B.) You simply have a bad board.

And the fact that you have a bad board doesn't make Asus bad. It's part of the business - it happens with all the manufacturers.

I know a lot will disagree, but I also agree that Asus quality control, especially where BIOS releases are concerned, is slipping.

I have been a happy owner for years, but this is ridiculous.

A lot of people were having issues with a new P5B Deluxe BIOS - the 1004. It has now been taken off the site! That BIOS has apparently killed a couple of systems too.

I think the BIOS programmers are either high on something, or Asus doesn't want the hassle of running a beta program anymore so they just release crap BIOS on the masses and wait for the floods of support emails to come in to figure out what's still wrong.

It could also just be overextension, they have gone completely nuts with new motherboard releases this last year. I don't think we have ever seen so many different kinds, all for effectively the same processor, variated only by video card support...Crosshair, Commando, Striker, P5Bs, they have clearly over-extended and over-marketed themselves and now their quality is slipping.

Crash[man];1030590953 said:
nigerian

still taking up for them, you must either work for Asus or have some other reason.

This goes out to all the people wondering where I am getting 6 grand from.
First off much of the product was bought in like CompUSA and Bestbuy.

1: 2 EVGA 8800 GTXs when they first came out were like 600 a piece so with shipping
$1200

You could have saved a little bit more if you shopped around.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]2: Lian Li PC 75B with window cost:
$284.24[/QUOTE]

I've never looked into the price of these.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]3: BFG 1000 Watt PSU bought at Best Buy with tax at least
$350[/QUOTE]

I would have gone with something else, but that's just me.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]4: 4 gig of Corsair Dominator 8500 memories with the Corsair fan
$800[/QUOTE]

Ok.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]5: Intel E6700 CPU
$575[/QUOTE]

You WAY overpaid here. You could have purchased this for about $75.00 less.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]6: Striker Extreme
$400[/QUOTE]

You should have shopped around. You could have saved $50 here.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]7: 3 Raptor X 150gig drives from Compusa at 350 a peice plus tax
$1200[/QUOTE]

This is insane. Did you not even bother to look at the prices of these things online? You overpaid $150 a drive. (Or close to it.)

[QUOTE='Crash[man]8: XFI Extreme Gamer Edition Fatality
$175.89[/QUOTE]

About $25.00 too high at RETAIL pricing.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]9: DVD Rom and Floppy
$50[/QUOTE]

Fine

[QUOTE='Crash[man]10: Fans and Cathode light
$50[/QUOTE]

Useless, but whatever.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]11: Zalman Cooler
$71.57[/QUOTE]

You overpaid here too. You shouldn't have spent more than $50 or $60 RETAIL for one of these.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]12: Vista Ultimate
$430 [/QUOTE]

Unless you specificaly wanted the retail version to get the 32bit and 64bit media you got raped. The OEM version is only $199.99.

[QUOTE='Crash[man]
Total = $5586.70

That is being genorous on some items[/QUOTE]

That's not shopping around and going to places like Worst Buy and Comp USSR.

well i called asus just recently they didn't want to trouble shoot anything they just said "rma it" im like you cant help me at all? "no rma it" so i rma it doesn't require receipt just asked what problem was and said ship it in.. its prob something stupid also because i see the problem alot if you Google p4p800-e deluxe fatal error .... system halted you get alot of hits but no good solution.. i have to agree on this don't buy asus mobo for the driver support customer support and just plainness of the mobos i prefer dfi lanparty boards with nice uv colors and excellent support

CMOS settings Wrong
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Chassis intruded !
Fatal Error... System Halted.

as soon as a diff cpu gets here ill test with a diff heatsink and reset the cmos again but just shows you how much asus cares!

i agree he overpaid for damn near every item!!!!!!!!!!! but at least he knows they arnt going to arrive smashed into little peices when he buys at worst buy.. my fav price was dvd-rom and floppy for 50$$$$$$$! oh and 430$ vista wahahah

well i called asus just recently they didn't want to trouble shoot anything they just said "rma it" im like you cant help me at all? "no rma it" so i rma it doesn't require receipt just asked what problem was and said ship it in.. its prob something stupid also because i see the problem alot if you Google p4p800-e deluxe fatal error .... system halted you get alot of hits but no good solution.. i have to agree on this don't buy asus mobo for the driver support customer support and just plainness of the mobos i prefer dfi lanparty boards with nice uv colors and excellent support

CMOS settings Wrong
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Chassis intruded !
Fatal Error... System Halted.

as soon as a diff cpu gets here ill test with a diff heatsink and reset the cmos again but just shows you how much asus cares!

Yeah because UV colors make a board better. :rolleyes:

The thing is that the driver support if fine. For most things on the board I use reference drivers. ASUS customer support does suck right now. I base this on my own experiences with my Striker and my BIOS chip.

I don't know about DFI support as I've never had to contact them before.

Jesus H Christ I split after they pull the bad bios and what happens, you rediculous kids are still at it.

What the hell is your point. If the 803 bios was good and it was good for everyone it would still be on the website.

GET A BRAIN

As far as how much I spent. I bought all products a while back when they were more expensive.

As far as the harddrives. Yea I could have bought OEM Raptor X from NewEgg cheaper but I chose not to. What are you going to do about it. Cry all day bacuase someone on the net paid more money then you. I dont give a damn , can you here that I DONT GIVE A DAMN just like rather than keep being pissed about how the Striker was screwed I just went out same night and bought another board.

What do you want to cry about that too? Obviously what matters to me is my sanity and my happiness. I have to work for a living just like after this post I am going to work.

I guess some of you kids sit at home all day while Mommy and Daddy cough up the cash for your computers.

Well I come and fix them

But I CANT GO TO TAIWAN AND WRITE THE CODE FOR THAT BIOS.

The frigging website is hosted overthere not in Kentucky. Obviously I have already taken care of getting new chip(s) sent to me:

FREE OF CHARGE

Those whose boards flashed ok were not affected by the increased VCore. I can only suspect that due to my processor it shuts the system down to protect itself just like I suspected and was clarified by the poster Texxx

Now all you kids grow up and play chess if you want to Pawn anything.

I am not posting here anymore. I am getting a couple of new chips but they will not have 803. You cannot lower the Vcore to a normal state.

You kids are just ignorant and you need to study a little bit in school and stay off the damn computer.

Why dont you learn Linear Algebra , Electronics 1,2 ,3, Thermodynamics, Power, Electromagnetic Fields. Communications, Micro Processors.

These are all courses I had to take to get my degree. Now shut up and quit being children. If you want to talk technical then act it.

Get off how much damn money I spent. I don't care obviously.

There are a lot of posters in this thread that heeded my warning and benefited from it. Others are also sick of the stupidity of these kids posting in here.

I repeat I AM NOT BEING CHARGED FOR THE CHIPS.

The code was inferior and some processors obviously were not effected.

Get a life

so where do i buy a bios chip for 5$? should i call asus support again and ask? also uv colors do make the board better who wants ugly pc! i guess its fine if you tuck it away but my wife and son love the uv and have dfi mobos also (wife has 4x12" uv blacklights)

wow this guy seems uptight better watch out for him in the compusa store he might stab you with a ram stick or something. i work for a living but not my fault the work is ez and pays good! you need to relax maybe look into some pills.. Everyone saying powned is retarded and prob 10-15 and a VIRGIN!! he overpaid but ya he got it when he wanted it and supported local shops.. i already knew to stay away from asus and enjoyed this thanks poster! we will all keep a look out for you and asus!

so where do i buy a bios chip for 5$? should i call asus support again and ask? also uv colors do make the board better who wants ugly pc! i guess its fine if you tuck it away but my wife and son love the uv and have dfi mobos also (wife has 4x12" uv blacklights)

wow this guy seems uptight better watch out for him in the compusa store he might stab you with a ram stick or something. i work for a living but not my fault the work is ez and pays good! you need to relax maybe look into some pills.. Everyone saying powned is retarded and prob 10-15 and a VIRGIN!! he overpaid but ya he got it when he wanted it and supported local shops.. i already knew to stay away from asus and enjoyed this thanks poster! we will all keep a look out for you and asus!

You have to ship your BIOS chip to ASUS for re-flashing. A replacement chip is $25.00 as I understand it.

As for the colors, UV reactive colors do not make a motherboard better. I don't care what color the motherboard is as long as it delivers in the performance category. I don't have a window in the side of my PC and don't imagine I ever will. I just don't care for it.

I must say that I'm quite disappointed that you are attacking him when other people has attacked him and yourself and you didn't even come to your own defense.

I've never looked into the price of these.

O.k.

I would have gone with something else, but that's just me.

Personal preference, his money. He didn't overpay for this item.

OK.

You WAY overpaid here. You could have purchased this for about $75.00 less.
Please tell me, 75 less now or 75 less when they JUST CAME OUT? Remember, newegg gouged them selfs with horrible figures.

You should have shopped around. You could have saved $50 here.
Once again, when would this be? Even newegg has them for $420 atm and they seem to be lingering on sold out at 400 range.

This is insane. Did you not even bother to look at the prices of these things on line? You overpaid $150 a drive. (Or close to it.)
Once again, when do you use your price references? Now or then? If you are using a now and then situation, perhaps you should dish out your machine specs and I can post how bad you got ripped?

About $25.00 too high at RETAIL pricing.

Too High? Once again, when was this? I bought a Fatal1ty for nearly at $300 the day it came out, did I get ripped? Nope, if I compared it to todays value, did I get ripped, sure... but welcome to the depreciation of hardware value.

O.k.

Useless, but whatever.
Funny how you consider it useless in your judgment for total system price.... although you would count a water loop in and dual power supplies...

You overpaid here too. You shouldn't have spent more than $50 or $60 RETAIL for one of these.
Once again, when would this be for? I paid I believe $65 on newegg + shipping for my Zalman AM2 cooler the day it came out...

Unless you specifically wanted the retail version to get the 32bit and 64bit media you got raped. The OEM version is only $199.99.
Whats wrong with a person wanting a retail version? OEM ties him down and he probably doesn't care to make the call and lie to get a reactivation?

That's not shopping around and going to places like Worst Buy and Comp USSR.

I find it ironic how you consider bestbuy and compusa not to be a consideration for shopping around when they have currently at the moment better than newegg prices on their 500 gig drives and bestbuy has the p180 for only 79 bucks out the door. For OEM OS software, they have equivalent prices than that of all on line stores... majority of the time they are more expensive, but that doesn't guarantee that they would be the most expensive nor does it give you the right to break someone down' simply because from the store he shopped at. I don't know what you would have done if all those prices were say zzf, newegg, or tigerdirect prices... probably bashed him for something else.

Then people wonder why I don't bother posting my machines on these forums, people will attack you for your own personal preferences.

I must say that I'm quite disappointed that you are attacking him when other people has attacked him and yourself and you didn't even come to your own defense.

O.k.

Personal preference, his money. He didn't overpay for this item.

OK.

Please tell me, 75 less now or 75 less when they JUST CAME OUT? Remember, newegg gouged them selfs with horrible figures.

Once again, when would this be? Even newegg has them for $420 atm and they seem to be lingering on sold out at 400 range.

Once again, when do you use your price references? Now or then? If you are using a now and then situation, perhaps you should dish out your machine specs and I can post how bad you got ripped?

Too High? Once again, when was this? I bought a Fatal1ty for nearly at $300 the day it came out, did I get ripped? Nope, if I compared it to todays value, did I get ripped, sure... but welcome to the depreciation of hardware value.

O.k.

Funny how you consider it useless in your judgment for total system price.... although you would count a water loop in and dual power supplies...

Once again, when would this be for? I paid I believe $65 on newegg + shipping for my Zalman AM2 cooler the day it came out...

Whats wrong with a person wanting a retail version? OEM ties him down and he probably doesn't care to make the call and lie to get a reactivation?

I find it ironic how you conside bestbuy and compusa not to be a consideration for shopping around when they have currently at the moment better than newegg prices on their 500 gig drives and bestbuy has the p180 for only 79 bucks out the door.

My specs are in my sig and you don't want to know what I paid for everything. You'll be sicked by how much of it I didn't pay anything for. My GF is semi-wealthy and she buys alot of my hardware. Even so, I shop around for the best prices and do not pay retail for anything.

I am not saying Comp USA and Best Buy don't occasionally have good prices on somethings. Hell I bought a X1950Pro at Microcenter a couple of weeks ago because they had the best price I could find. Even so, for motherboards, video cards and the like, they are usually extremely overpriced.

I wasn't bashing choosing the retail version of the OS. I was stating my opinion that it's not worth it unless you want both the 32bit and 64bit versions.

I love my evga 680i, have not had one problem with it....

My specs are in my sig and you don't want to know what I paid for everything. You'll be sicked by how much of it I didn't pay anything for. My GF is semi-wealthy and she buys alot of my hardware. Even so, I shop around for the best prices and do not pay retail for anything.

I am not saying Comp USA and Best Buy don't occasionally have good prices on somethings. Hell I bought a X1950Pro at Microcenter a couple of weeks ago because they had the best price I could find. Even so, for motherboards, video cards and the like, they are usually extremely overpriced.

I wasn't bashing choosing the retail version of the OS. I was stating my opinion that it's not worth it unless you want both the 32bit and 64bit versions.

So really you didn't have room to talk anyways. Why not back off on him about what he spent his own money on... you wouldn't want me to get into a debate why your gf shouldn't spend money on computer parts and why she should rather buy other things?

The subject has nothing to do with where he bought his toys, who he stole it from or if aliens delivered it to him or not, the subject has to do with the motherboard and how much cash he invested out of pocket regardless on what kinda machine he was running.

This would be like ragging on a Dell Renegade Owner, Alienware owner, or somone who bought that 24k voodoo pc. Bottom line it's his own money and it's not the subject at hand... actually better yet, this would be like raging on your boss, Kyle, who bought an H2 Hummer (no dissing kyle or anything, just using an example to show real life relations).

Respect what people spend their money on and perhaps they would respect you... you had the same problems as him and people attacked you, but yet you seem to keep going after him simply for the reason that he has more money than you.

So really you didn't have room to talk anyways. Why not back off on him about what he spent his own money on... you wouldn't want me to get into a debate why your gf shouldn't spend money on computer parts and why she should rather buy other things?

The subject has nothing to do with where he bought his toys, who he stole it from or if aliens delivered it to him or not, the subject has to do with the motherboard and how much cash he invested out of pocket regardless on what kinda machine he was running.

This would be like ragging on a Dell Renegade Owner, Alienware owner, or somone who bought that 24k voodoo pc. Bottom line it's his own money and it's not the subject at hand... actually better yet, this would be like raging on your boss, Kyle, who bought an H2 Hummer (no dissing kyle or anything, just using an example to show real life relations).

Respect what people spend their money on and perhaps they would respect you... you had the same problems as him and people attacked you, but yet you seem to keep going after him simply for the reason that he has more money than you.

I'm not going after anyone. I was simply saying that he spent too much. He should have shopped around and saved a little. You point something out like that, trying to help people in the future so they can save money. Most people are concerned with doing that. Including me.

Crash[man];1030589008 said:
First off. I am sitting in a room with 6 Asus motherboards all in functioning computers
except the best one.

The Striker Extreme.

Asus has ripped me off by uploading a new bios on 2-2-07. The code screws your board. It flashes fine and prompts you to restart. But then you have a dead MOBO. 400 dollars worth.

Well there tech support department is rude condesending and idiots.

Therefore I no longer support their products and I encourage everyone else not to buy into the hype like I did.

I have no love for Asus having been hosed by them in the past on mobo's. The thing is most of the major board manufacturers have their drawbacks. Whether it be crappy customer service, non-existent customer service, poor workmenship, lack of bios updates, etc...

For what its worth I think you have to move past this. Keep trying to get the best boards you can but don't put all your eggs in the Asus basket.

I have no love for Asus having been hosed by them in the past on mobo's. The thing is most of the major board manufacturers have their drawbacks. Whether it be crappy customer service, non-existent customer service, poor workmenship, lack of bios updates, etc...

For what its worth I think you have to move past this. Keep trying to get the best boards you can but don't put all your eggs in the Asus basket.

I have had awesome experiences with ASUS motherboards in the past as I've said before. Only with the Striker have I ever needed to contact ASUS support. I have to say that I was not pleased by their response. I was livid that I had to use my own money to pay for a BIOS chip that was only needed because their flashing software and BIOS flash failed.

This doesn't mean that I won't buy ASUS in the future, I just hope that if I do, I won't need their support again.

Asus website sucks, but I've had multiple RMA's from them and everything is fine. Not to mention that their boards barely ever have non-user induced errors.

That isn't my experience. I've been building computers since ~1990. I've had one excellent ASUS board, and three others with differing chipsets that were either possessed, totally defective or finicky about components (RAM and video card).

ASUS has always been hit or miss for me, mostly miss. If I can get a MB with the same chipset made by anyone else, I avoid them. ASUS tends to produce a larger variety, though, so sometimes they are one of a few choices of MB given a certain chipset.

OP, I've heard that if you can actually POST and get into Windows, flashing in Windows with the Windows flash utility should correct the problems. If you can't POST though, that totally sucks, and I would be upset as well.

Anyone defending ASUS's tech support has never had to deal with them before - from the two times I've dealt with them, they couldn't find their asses with both hands and a roadmap. It's more cost and frustration effective to just buy something else and then try to RMA it. Sorry to slam them, but that has been what I experienced.

I have had awesome experiences with ASUS motherboards in the past as I've said before. Only with the Striker have I ever needed to contact ASUS support. I have to say that I was not pleased by their response. I was livid that I had to use my own money to pay for a BIOS chip that was only needed because their flashing software and BIOS flash failed.
And I think that you have all the right to be

This doesn't mean that I won't buy ASUS in the future, I just hope that if I do, I won't need their support again.
I have had the worst experience with a Gigabyte board in the past (Pentium days). I have recently purchased a DS4 and am very happy with it. In fact so happy that I am considering to get another system with a DS3.

I am glad that the OP brought this issue to my attention so that I can take it into consideration when I am going to decide on my nest board. I would say that the title of the thread was somewhat poorly chosen.

That isn't my experience. I've been building computers since ~1990. I've had one excellent ASUS board, and three others with differing chipsets that were either possessed, totally defective or finicky about components (RAM and video card).

ASUS has always been hit or miss for me, mostly miss. If I can get a MB with the same chipset made by anyone else, I avoid them. ASUS tends to produce a larger variety, though, so sometimes they are one of a few choices of MB given a certain chipset.

OP, I've heard that if you can actually POST and get into Windows, flashing in Windows with the Windows flash utility should correct the problems. If you can't POST though, that totally sucks, and I would be upset as well.

Anyone defending ASUS's tech support has never had to deal with them before - from the two times I've dealt with them, they couldn't find their asses with both hands and a roadmap. It's more cost and frustration effective to just buy something else and then try to RMA it. Sorry to slam them, but that has been what I experienced.

My experience was with flashing in Windows. After doing that all the information I have read states that flashing the BIOS in Windows is a bad idea with the Striker Extreme.

While I have never personally owned and ASUS product, just about everyone I know who has and ASUS motherboard has had problems with it. Many are BIOS related and their product just don't don't seem to last very long. ASUS mother boards in general are crap. You can almost tell if someone has an ASUS mobo just by hearing about their pc problems. Their site is always slow if not down, their tech support is lacking and it took them a month the last time I sent a customers board back to get a replacement. I am amazed at how many site give Asus product stellar reviews. It's as if they use the board once and pack it away forever.

Crash: The immaturity of your response tells me a few things about you, so I will keep my reply simple.

Insulting others no a PUBLIC forum, when you create a PUBLIC thread will get you nowhere. Why create a thread in the first place if you do not welcome debate? ***EDIT: I HAD A BRAIN FART.

It seems to me that Crash had a bad experience and wanted to tell EVERYONE why an entire company, with thousands of engineers and employees, with expertise in an area of manufacturing, sucks! I'm sure you could single handedly take over their entire assembly code division. In fact, you are such an expert at embedded processing, you should take over the entire division at Asus!!! You told us yourself that the code is faulty.

Instead, you resort to calling us "kids" and belitting the entire community that wanted to chime in. Great job! Next time, instead of wasting our time with your nonsense just go buy another motherboard and keep your comments to yourself. You are, afterall, the resident embedded processing expert. Why waste your time with us simpletons.

My experience was with flashing in Windows. After doing that all the information I have read states that flashing the BIOS in Windows is a bad idea with the Striker Extreme.

The OP stated that he flashed from a boot disk (like any sensible user would) - I was just throwing that out there to be helpful. If it's messed up anyway, it's worth a shot. This information came from people that flashed using the command line file from DOS, and once flashing could not enter CMOS setup - sorry for not being more clear. I'm just trying to help :).

Flashing in Windows is certainly not the first route I would have taken, either, but this has worked for people with the Stryker with the specific issue of flashing from the command line and not being able to enter the CMOS anymore.

EDIT: Not to imply that you aren't sensible DAN..LOL I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, that's why I editted this to clear that up.

I've never had a bad experience with Asus until 680i. However, that doesn't mean that Asus is crap. Maybe it means 680i sucks?

I currently have the P5B-Deluxe board and have not had any problems with it, aside from the onboard sound which seems to introduce some instability issues when using DTS. However, that isn't a big deal to me as I will be getting a PCI sound card anyway.

Different people will have different experiences - it's the way of life.

My one experience with Asus tech support. Had issues with a P5LD2 and a Pentium D 820, turned out to be a hard drive problem later on but I called up anyway.

Call rep: "Yeah, your board doesn't support Dual Core and needs a bios flash"
me: "But the P5LD2 box itself has a big-ass picture that says, 'Dual Core Ready'. The opening screen when I boot up even shows the Pentium D logo."
Call rep: "Yeah well it's not dual-core ready. Send me the bios and we'll flash it and send it back."
me: *click*

God damn.

The OP stated that he flashed from a boot disk (like any sensible user would) - I was just throwing that out there to be helpful. If it's messed up anyway, it's worth a shot. This information came from people that flashed using the command line file from DOS, and once flashing could not enter CMOS setup - sorry for not being more clear. I'm just trying to help :).

Flashing in Windows is certainly not the first route I would have taken, either, but this has worked for people with the Stryker with the specific issue of flashing from the command line and not being able to enter the CMOS anymore.

EDIT: Not to imply that you aren't sensible DAN..LOL I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, that's why I editted this to clear that up.

I flashed the BIOS through Windows because I've done this with countless ASUS boards and I've never had an issue with it. I've also done this with HP, Compaq, Dell and other machines too. I've flashed probably most tier 1 motherboard brands mobos in Windows countless times. Flashing with a floppy is very 2001 and I don't like it.

After this Striker Incident, I think twice about flashing through Windows now. I flashed an eVGA board for a friend and used a USB drive in the motherboard BIOS to do it.

Crash: The immaturity of your response tells me a few things about you, so I will keep my reply simple.

Insulting others no a PUBLIC forum, when you create a PUBLIC thread will get you nowhere. Why create a thread in the first place if you do not welcome debate? Same goes for Ockie, who seems to ALWAYS find his way into these threads. Any chance at attacking other members for representing their opinion, Ockie will take.

This is quite funny considering that you claim that I bash everyone when I get the chance, but yet I'm defending him from being bashed for off topic and completely irrelevant topics.

Ironic isn't it, I also find it funny how you are attacking me, I guess you finally gave up on having the best computer and resorted to jealousy now? I remember when we were neck on neck and you just slipped out.

Anyways, it's besides the point.

How is bashing someone an opinion? Last time I checked bashing users for something of their own personal doings is not allowed on these forums... however discussion is.

But hey, who am I, I'll let you judge if this is bashing, ranting, jealousy, or just straight out thread crapping that doesn't resort to the issue being solved nor does it create a solution to the issue or addresses the said issue.

Lets take a look at some quick quotes:

You have $6000 invested in a computer?!? And you don't have a quad core? And you're using air cooling? :rolleyes:

BTW, if you spent $6000 on that machine, you got badly ripped off. I spent about 4500 and have a qx6700, 8800GTX, 30in HP monitor, 2x 750GB drives, 2x raptor 150, etc, etc.

In fact, maybe you should change the title of your post to "DON'T INSTALL BLEEDING EDGE SOFTWARE WITHOUT DUE DILLIGENCE, AND HERE IS WHY..."

somebody forgot to take their pills today... seriously chill out dude... NEVER install a bleeding edge BIOS. ALWAYS wait a few days for idiots to find the problems. NEVER install things until you've heard of a LOT of people having success with it.

Sorry for off topic but WTF!!??

$6000 for a computer? You can even buy Alienware and they'll water cool your system, overclock it, 2x 8800GTX, and then add in a 30in monitor for $6000.

But seriously, why do you spend $6000 on a computer and get E6700?

I'm not getting it either. I add up the cost of parts and it doesn't add up to $6000.00.

My machine cost around $3200 or so with everything in my signature aside from my monitors and peripherals. (I actually paid far less than that, because of various hookups.) I don't have quad core, but I am using water cooling.

If you add the cost difference of his memory vs. mine and his CPU, you still don't get to $6000.00. If he paid $6,000.00 he must have purchased it form Comp USSR or something.

Wow... 750$ on RAM?

Did you know that the Raptor 150 ADFD drives are the same as the windowed ones, but without the windows and 50$ less?

How the hell did you spend $4000 on your rig and not get Quad Core?!!??! :eek:

Ya.... there's nowehere near $6000 worth of hardware in that box.

4: 4 gig of Corsair Dominator 8500 memories with the Corsair fan
$800

HOLY CRAP O_O 800 bucks for RAM! i cant justify spending $6000 dollars on a computer..mine does everything i would want it to do just fine!

$1200 on Storage...ain't that a b*tch?

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

well then that's you're problem... VERY stupid shopping. Just pay the $5 and STFU nobody could possibly respect you anymore so just shutup and drop it.

1) Pissed off an ranting over $5. Shit happens.. Take the new BIOS chip and STFU

2) ranting about spending so much when IT'S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT for over spending on everything.

3) thinking the dumbasses answering the phone are going to know everything about EVERY board is retarded.

4) cutting edge BIOS without even letting people flash first... It's always the retards that get dead boards when a BIOS first comes out...

So please tell me, how was those comments worthy of discussion or debate?

Oh wait, they were just jealousy fueled statements.

I do enjoy reading your post as if he's just here to bitch and complain, however, a few users have indicated that they wont be ugprading their boards, effectivley saving them from the same problem. If he has pursauded one person to think twice, he has suceeded. I think you are arrogant at calling me or insulting me when I am actually defending people without saying nasty words as they are saying to the OP. If he didn't come here to comment, unsuspecting owners could have been bit. So instead of trying chase him away, why don't you actually contribute or show some intention of resolving the issue, rather than bitching about what girlfriend, what color, what house, what car, or what he spends his money on. Appa, you think you are so great, wait untill somone comes here and complains about what you spend your money on... oh wait, I defended you too there... sigh. Oh and remember when you complained so much about nvidia drivers... I was there too... quite funny eh?

This is quite funny considering that you claim that I bash everyone when I get the chance, but yet I'm defending him from being bashed for off topic and completely irrelevant topics.

Ironic isn't it, I also find it funny how you are attacking me, I guess you finally gave up on having the best computer and resorted to jealousy now? I remember when we were neck on neck and you just slipped out.

Anyways, it's besides the point.

How is bashing someone an opinion? Last time I checked bashing users for something of their own personal doings is not allowed on these forums... however discussion is.

But hey, who am I, I'll let you judge if this is bashing, ranting, jealousy, or just straight out thread crapping that doesn't resort to the issue being solved nor does it create a solution to the issue or addresses the said issue.

Lets take a look at some quick quotes:

So please tell me, how was those comments worthy of discussion or debate?

Oh wait, they were just jealousy fueled statements.

Hardly jealousy on my part. I was just wondering how he reached the dollar amount he came up with, which seemed high to me.

Hardly jealousy on my part. I was just wondering how he reached the dollar amount he came up with, which seemed high to me.

Now let me ask you, did that contribute to the discussion regardless of if his machine was 10,000 dollars or 1 dollar? Was it needed? You proceeded to debate about the issue and compare values and your own machine... you were hardly "wondering"

I'm just getting tired of whenever someone posts anything and have money, they are bashed by the public as to why they spend that kinda money. If he spent 10k on a desk, it's his OWN money. He's asking for a resolve and he's upset about an expensive product that didn't deliver, last thing that needs to be made is how horrible his financial expenditures is.

Now let me ask you, did that contribute to the discussion regardless of if his machine was 10,000 dollars or 1 dollar? Was it needed? You proceeded to debate about the issue and compare values and your own machine... you were hardly "wondering"

No, I was curious how he reached the cost he claims to have reached. I could get the same hardware for less off Newegg and similar sites. A few purchases I could make at Fry's or Microcenter would cover some things as well.

No, I was curious how he reached the cost he claims to have reached. I could get the same hardware for less off Newegg and similar sites. A few purchases I could make at Fry's or Microcenter would cover some things as well.

Like I said, how did this contribute to the discussion regarding asus?

Also, you are talking about then - and - now cases... being a hardware reviewer, you should understand the most about hardware depreciation. I'm really glad I never posted on of my old machines which costs back then over 10k... you'd be chewing me a new one about how you can get it on ebay for less than a hundred bucks....

FYI, I can get the hardware for less than you can get it for, regardless of where you shop, does it give me a right to intrude on somones conversation and derail the argument on how much cheaper I can get it for? ... I didn't think so.

Like I said, how did this contribute to the discussion regarding asus?

Also, you are talking about then - and - now cases... being a hardware reviewer, you should understand the most about hardware depreciation. I'm really glad I never posted on of my old machines which costs back then over 10k... you'd be chewing me a new one about how you can get it on ebay for less than a hundred bucks....

FYI, I can get the hardware for less than you can get it for, regardless of where you shop, does it give me a right to intrude on somones conversation and derail the argument on how much cheaper I can get it for? ... I didn't think so.

No it didn't. It was topic and a side note.

No I am not. I am not talking about then and now. His machine is relatively new. For the most part all that hardware can be purchased for less NOW and a MONTH or so ago too.

You might be able to, but I doubt it. I wasn't trying to derail anything. As often happens in the forum, topics derailed all the time without any assitance from me.

Insulting others no a PUBLIC forum, when you create a PUBLIC thread will get you nowhere. Why create a thread in the first place if you do not welcome debate? Same goes for Ockie, who seems to ALWAYS find his way into these threads. Any chance at attacking other members for representing their opinion, Ockie will take.

It seems to me that Crash had a bad experience and wanted to tell EVERYONE why an entire company, with thousands of engineers and employees, with expertise in an area of manufacturing, sucks! I'm sure you could single handedly take over their entire assembly code division. In fact, you are such an expert at embedded processing, you should take over the entire division at Asus!!! You told us yourself that the code is faulty.

Instead, you resort to calling us "kids" and belitting the entire community that wanted to chime in. Great job! Next time, instead of wasting our time with your nonsense just go buy another motherboard and keep your comments to yourself. You are, afterall, the resident embedded processing expert. Why waste your time with us simpletons.

Just to point out another one of your own flaws in your argument:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030579696&postcount=13

To Ockie and anyone else who is bringing question to the examination of the OP's price of his rig.

It may not be directly relevent to the thread, but it is relevant to the OP. If the OP was found to be making wild off the wall claims on one subject in the thread, it would hurt his credibility on the other subject in the thread. I see Dan's examination of the OP's prices as a good thing as it put the OP in the category as being for the most part an honest poster. If the OP did not want this examination, he should not have entertained it by using the cost of his rig as proof or reference of his intelligence in the area of PC building.

Just my two cents.

Back