Donald Glover Cast As Lando Calrissian In Young Han Solo Movie

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I’ve only seen the guy in The Martian, but most people think Glover will do great as the smooth-talking smuggler. The film will reportedly reveal how Lando lost the Falcon to Han.

Billy Dee Williams first inhabited the role of Calrissian, who made his appearance as the head of Cloud City, a floating city above the planet Bespin, in The Empire Strikes Back. He has a competitive and strained friendship with Solo, having lost the starship Millennium Falcon to the smuggler and future Rebel commander in a card game. The upcoming film will explore a previously unseen side of Calrissian, with Lucasfilm saying it will show "his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld." Sources say the film will show how the character lost the Millennium Falcon to Solo.

Pfft affirmative action strikes again in liberal PC Hollywood!

What a great choice. I have been watching and loving every minute of his new series "Atlanta" on FX.

Donald Glover is a great choice. I was excited no matter who's in it, but this definitely ups the movie's appeal.

Pfft affirmative action strikes again in liberal PC Hollywood!

Typical, they just have to shoehorn a brown people in there somewhere.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding you guys, or you just forgot to use the :rolleyes: tag, but Billy D is black, Lando is black, and this guy actually looks like him. From an appearance standpoint, the guy seems pretty perfect for the role.

For the record, I don't like race / sex changing well established characters either. Boomer is a black man not an asian chick, Starbuck is a white male womanizer not some drunk white girl, and Tye is a straight laced black man, not a drunk screwup white guy, for instance. This does not appear to be that sort of thing.

One of the few casting choices I 100% think is great.

Loved him in Community as Troy (really wish he'd have came back for the last season).

Still wish they'd have went with Anthony Ingruber to play Han, he is spot on a young Harrison Ford (see )

He actually played a young Harrison in The Age of Adaline.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding you guys, or you just forgot to use the :rolleyes: tag, but Billy D is black, Lando is black, and this guy actually looks like him. From an appearance standpoint, the guy seems pretty perfect for the role.

For the record, I don't like race / sex changing well established characters either. Boomer is a black man not an asian chick, Starbuck is a white male womanizer not some drunk white girl, and Tye is a straight laced black man, not a drunk screwup white guy, for instance. This does not appear to be that sort of thing.

WTF?! lando was black, why do you have issue with this?!

It was a joke you bad hombres

If you want the original characters/actors, the series exists. I'll take the RD Moore version over the original any day and if they remade the show again and the commander was Chinese or African or a woman, it wouldn't make any difference, so long as the writing, and acting, is good. It's a reboot that has some similarities to the original, but it's a different time. What's next? Olmos is too young, too hispanic and too many acne scars? And that hair is the wrong color too! Why wasn't it gray?

In this case, it makes sense for the actor to be black, simply because it's a prequel to Star Wars, not a reboot. If they reboot it, then Luke can be black, Obi Wan Chinese and Leah Pakistani or Indian...just won't matter if they can act.

It is a personal preference thing. I simply do not like it when my expectations are not met. BSG is simply an example. I was "used" to Tye, Starbuck, Boomer, and the Cylons being one thing, I expected those things, and the reboot presented me with another. You could say it offends my sense of order. It's why I do not care for the last Starwars movie either. Your preferences may differ.

this person dont look like the original at all. totally different person!!!!

I get what you mean but Saul Tigh is pretty much the best character in the re-imagined BSG series.

Verhoeven did the same with his own version of Starship Troopers. Cameron? He fixed the Alien universe after Ridley. Some people just know what to change to make good ideas work better.

well the actor is African so I would ask someone of that heritage that identified with the original if the actor is more like michael jackson or someone they identify with. both have had some much plastic surgery I can not imagine anyone identifies with them when they look in the mirror but londo in the movies had smooth hair like a hispanic... and glover well he grew up in a modern city just not in the usa... thus one of the funnier jokes on community. Londo could have been African as they come with a wig on, you would have to ask the actor since star wars telescened many of the fake shots they did thus the white light sabers in the movie, they could have colored them but clearly one of the producers liked the way they looked... but really as long as the group that identified with him agree the new actor fits their image they will go see the next movie if they don't it will lose money.

The point is there were no black actors until londo makes his appearance in either the second or the third movie. But even though they only made a fraction of the first movie combined, the toys and concept of space out there over took kids playing cowboys and indians... it was space and it was mainstream... I still have to wonder if I would have gotten to play laser tag as a kid if the first movie had not come out...

I think he should do fine. But I can definitely see how it could be hard to pull off Billy D levels of smooth without sliding over into cheesy wanker territory. He just needs to bring his A game and the directory needs to make sure to lead him correctly.

Back