Don’t Sue Google If You Are Hit by a Car Following Directions

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Even though Google is a big company with deep pockets, the courts sided with the corporate giant in a frivolous lawsuit over walking directions. The woman sued Google when she was struck by a car following the directions Google supplied. Sometimes there is just no legal argument that tops common sense.

"She was in an area that she'd never been to before. It was pitch black. There were no street lights. She relied on Google that she'd cross there and go down to a sidewalk."

A shame she didn't die as this planet needs to perish the absolute stupid people!! I have no sympathy for the absolute moronic people.

The messed up part is now we are going to have to read some lame insane warning about looking both ways across the street.

hahaha idiot. i hope they countersued her for like $10000 for wasting their time. it would be totally insignificant, but a big deal for her. teach her a lesson, as well as other people who try to bring frivolous lawsuits against big companies in the future.

The messed up part is now we are going to have to read some lame insane warning about looking both ways across the street.

Great more crap to read..

Anyways god thats so stupid. what a dumbass...

Tomtom has told me to go the wrong way down 1way streets. Not to mention sending me in circles that never end. I'm at the point where I carry a paper map instead, at least it is updated. All the sat imagery on Google, Bing and Mapquest is really old and mostly useless because it was taken right after a hurricane.

hahaha idiot. i hope they countersued her for like $10000 for wasting their time. it would be totally insignificant, but a big deal for her. teach her a lesson, as well as other people who try to bring frivolous lawsuits against big companies in the future.

IMO all court costs should be levied against the losing party of a lawsuit, that might at least curtail some frivolous suits.

^he probably got money for the case, so he's not really a dumbass.. unless he's on that don't get anything unless you win... type.

That said, I remember this... She actually had a valid point... sorta... the directions didn't tell her it was experimental because she was on a device that only loaded the mobile versions. But common sense disabled that argument.

You mean you're not supposed to actually swim across the Atlantic if you're "walking" to Europe?

this isn't the first time a lawsuit like this has came up and won't be the first. What was it, two years ago those people where told by a gps to turn onto a train track as the GPS had it down as being a road and not a train track. People did it anyway and got out of the car right before a train hit them. People have driving into lakes, off cliffs... all because a GPS tells them to. It is up to you the user to ensure that the GPS isn't telling you to do something stupid. And that is lucky what the court has said every time. It isn't the fault of the GPS maker, or in this case site giving you directions, when you follow the directions perfectly and ignore all common sense and do stuff that is stupid and can / does result in your injury. The directions you get are only to be a aid, if they ever tell you to do something wrong then you find an alternative way to get to where you are going.

Makes sense; When you're walking in pitch black darkness, instead of watching the road for upcoming headlights, watch your mobile phone.

People are stupid enough to follow google map directions word for word and yet have the sense to sue for it? America. lol

Google makes an app that says "run like hell across the street even if there are cars coming" now? Pretty sure in every google maps app you can pick alternate routes

People are stupid enough to follow google map directions word for word and yet have the sense to sue for it? America. lol
When you do something stupid enough, the ambulance chasers come to you promising wads of cash. Some of them, backed by vulture capital, will even offer a pittance up front in turn for a much larger take of the settlement if they win.

the bitch is a mindless lemming, much like a good majority of this world.

Whether you are listening to what google maps tells you, some screw ball molester priest, a congressmen... it's all the same crap. Nobody wants to think for themselves anymore.

Want to solve frivilous lawsuits? The easy way would be going to a loser pays system. You can sue me for anything you want, but when you lose the case YOU pay for all my fees, lost time, and any other little thing I've missed out on beacuse you wanted to be a dick.

If not that, I would fully endorse jailtime for filing frivolous lawsuits. Try to sue someone because you spilled hot coffee all over yourself? or because you are too fat and stupid to say "no" on the supersize option? We ship your fat dumb ass off to a state or federal work camp.

the bitch is a mindless lemming, much like a good majority of this world.

Whether you are listening to what google maps tells you, some screw ball molester priest, a congressmen... it's all the same crap. Nobody wants to think for themselves anymore.

Want to solve frivilous lawsuits? The easy way would be going to a loser pays system. You can sue me for anything you want, but when you lose the case YOU pay for all my fees, lost time, and any other little thing I've missed out on beacuse you wanted to be a dick.

If not that, I would fully endorse jailtime for filing frivolous lawsuits. Try to sue someone because you spilled hot coffee all over yourself? or because you are too fat and stupid to say "no" on the supersize option? We ship your fat dumb ass off to a state or federal work camp.

Isn't this what usually happens if you countersue them?

If not that, I would fully endorse jailtime for filing frivolous lawsuits. Try to sue someone because you spilled hot coffee all over yourself?

The problem with a "loser pays" system is that no one would ever sue a corporation again, who have the deep pockets to pay for the best lawyers. The risk of having to pay their lawyers' bill would be too great, even if you have a great case.

Note, the "spilled hot coffee" suit against McDonalds was definitely NOT a frivilous lawsuit, but a dangerous policy that McDonalds was forced to change because it was brought to court. Just research it.

This particular lawsuit is frivilous, and it is unfortunate that Google had to waste time and money on it. But the civil court system can be benefical to the consumers as well, and it would not be good if consumers had no way to force an industry to change dangerous practices.

A shame she didn't die as this planet needs to perish the absolute stupid people!! I have no sympathy for the absolute moronic people.

I have no sympathy for people who have no empathy. Saying that people should die for being stupid is nazi ideology. They deserve pity, not hate.

This happened a year ago. The web site was just reminiscing on it.

Back