Domain transfer question

nodle

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am moving my domain away from my old host. I am moving it back to go daddy so I can manage my name servers etc. Anyways it has been a chore the support with my current host has been horrible and have basically been holding it for ransom. I paid their transfers fees and go daddy's transfers fees. Finally they let it unlock and mulitple emails etc. So I am on stage 3 of the transfer. Basically I am waiting for the losing registar to accept the transfer. I know after 5 days I will get it back. But the question I have now is the losing registar able to login and accept it so that I don't have to wait? They told me that their system would do it automatically within 24hrs, but it has been way longer and it's still not released. So I guess my question is it possible for them to release it without me waiting 5 days? Or am I just out of luck?

Domain transfers can be a nerve racking situation. Sometimes there are delays of all sorts, so it's not too uncommon to wait. The issue is in your situation the host had it and they don't like the fact that you are taking it so they will give you the most trouble possible. Legaly they have to give it though I think...

Next time you know to register the domain yourself, less trouble that way. :D
Oh and check to see if it's locked. If yo do whois.sc/yourdomain.com it will show in the status. It should say "registered" or something to that extent. If it says "registrar-lock" contact your host and tell them it's locked. Also who is the current registrar of the domain? Hopefully it's not network solutions because trying to transfer a domain out of there is like making a camel go through the eye of a needle, with a rich man on it, and have it fly into heaven.

Ya it has been a mess. My new host is all setup and waiting, I just need to get it back to go daddy so that I can set the nameservers. It's a small forum that I run and I had to shut it down so that no one could add posts to the database. So basically I am stuck. I can't set the nameservers on their side either since it's in the "process" of being transferred. I can't believe all the trouble I have been going though with them. They were all great until I wanted to take back my domain name, now they are being dicks about it. I just want to be done with them. I know someone could just log in there and accept an email and this whole thing could be over with. Seems like they are totally blowing me off now also. I sure learned my lesson with them. As soon as this gets over with I am also closing my account there. It was GreenGeeks that are the losing registar. Stay away from them!

So just to be clear here, GreenGeeks is NOT a domain registrar, they're a hosting company. So what is most likely going on is they registered your domain through a GoDaddy/Register.com type of service when you became their customer. ICANN publishes a list of accredited domain registrars, you'll notice this company isn't on that list (http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/accredited-list.html).

I can't find the exact ICANN policy, but I do believe there's actually a policy in place that says that a third party cannot register a domain on behalf of someone else, since the entity that registers the domain shows as the owner which is "against the rules". GoDaddy does annual required Whois updates to ensure the accurate owners are listed and Whois information is correct in order to keep records current as required by the ICANN. I don't know your domain so I can't lookup the Whois, but most likely you're not listed as the owner of your domain. In these scenarios, more often than not you'll learn that you don't actually own it, it's not in your name, so you've got no real recourse if these people keep dragging their feet.

The number one rule out there (and hopefully the lesson you've learned), no matter how good the deal is through the hosting provider you always register your domain yourself. People run into all sorts of issues in these positions, as you don't technically control domain renewal or any of the Whois record.

Back