Domain @ Home Pros and Cons

SlickEddie

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of running a domain (Active Directory) at my house, I know some of the Pros of running a domain, such as restricting access to files and what not.

But, what I do not know are some of the Cons...Could someone here tell me the Pros and Cons of running my house on a domain.

I've been seriously considering this for a while now, and need to know if I should do it or not.

Thanx

Cons.

If your server goes down your stumped...
If you mess up the server your stumped...
Basicly the only cons i could think of would be if you had an issue with the DC. Apart from that, the pro's really out do the con's

unless im missing something

You don't need AD to restrict access to certain user accounts.

AD will make your setup more consistant, and could ease administrative overhead (rather than make a new user account on 5 PCs, just make it on your DC and be done). However, if you start to mess around with your DC, you could break all your PCs at once (if no one can login any more, for example).

It'd be a good learning enviroment, but don't run AD just to run AD. Besides, legal copies of 2000/2003 Server are NOT cheap.

on a much less techical reason, when I had a Win2k domain at my house, my dad would complain about having to log in, Not to mention that nobody would log out so the next person to come use the computer wouldnt have their proper drives/files, or favorites, or anything.

so just consider how it will affect the other users within your home and how easy the change may be on them.

You'd still have at least the admin local account so breaking AD would not lock you out of the PC. Not if you have any sense about it anyway. There are no pros or cons since you gave no information about your LAN and it's user environment.

As already stated, you don't need a DC or AD to lock down network resources. Perhaps you should share with the board what you think you can gain out of using a windows domain. Besides the resource lockdown concern. AD for that is about managing users and making management of network resources more manageable. On a LAN in a typical home this is a non issue. Perhaps if you live in a fraternity or something along those lines it might be useful to you. Most or perhaps all of the pros of AD, Group Policy, OU management/security etc..., really are not a practical reason to use it in a home with family that all have personal computers.

If you plan on a career in IT, specifically a career in windows, then install AD and have a DC at your house. If not then there's no point.

well I do have a career in IT. There are only 2 people in my house (My wife and I) but, I have 4 windows machines, and she has 1.I really have no need to lock down any files, but I would like to be able to make universal logons and maybe even do roaming profiles.

Also, having a logon script that maps the share, and the printer on my server would be good as well.

Getting a copy of Windows Server 2003 is a non-issue. I got a free copy when I was in school for my MCSE :D

You've gone through the MCSE 2000/2003 coursework, yet you don't know the pros/cons of running AD?!?!?

Fint said:
You've gone through the MCSE 2000/2003 coursework, yet you don't know the pros/cons of running AD?!?!?

Classic example of training schools pushing out paper MCP, MCSA, MCSE, etc :p

Fint said:

HAHAHA.... Oh man, that was a good one. Almost... I say almost sig quality.

Fint said:

Doesn't say very much for the school the guy went to.

Don't get me wrong. I know the pros and cons of a domain in a BUISNESS enviroment. I'm wondering of the pros and cons of a domain in a HOME enviroment. Unless there is no difference between the two.

Besides...I took the AD class over a year ago, and haven't really used any of the knowledge since then. I currently have a job that dosn't really need AD skills.

PS the school I went to did in fact suck...but, the teacher I had was awesome.

Back