Dolphins Have Figured out How to Use Tablets

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Dolphins are well known for being smarter than the average bear (and most other animals), but I never imagined I’d see them mucking around with a giant Surface or iPad. College researchers and the National Aquarium in Baltimore created a giant, eight-foot touchscreen with “dolphin-friendly” apps, and the aquatic animals evidently had no trouble using it. The author notes that while Apple may have found new customers to buy its underperforming tablets, dolphins are far too intelligent to buy gear from the fruit company.

Biophysicist Marcelo Magnasco says that it was an elegant solution that was absolutely safe for the dolphins, but it has been incredibly rewarding to work with these amazing creatures and see their reactions to our system. "It has always been hard to keep up with dolphins, they are so smart; a fully interactive and programmable system will help us follow them in any direction they take us.” Rockefeller University professor Diana Reiss hoped this technologically-sophisticated touchscreen “will be enriching for the dolphins and also enrich our science by opening a window into the dolphin mind.”

So, the vid shows a dolphin touching an image of fish. The biologist (is he allowed to call himself that in Oregon???) says dolphins are so smart it's hard to keep up with them. I think we need to improve our biology schools is what my takeaway was...

I think if we have any chance on winning (surviving) the Robot Wars it will be based on whether the Dolphins find their 'fire', create a giant undersea army, and we are able to ally ourselves with Dolphinkind.

So, yeah, if touching noses on giant tablets help them achieve that, all the better.

I think if we have any chance on winning (surviving) the Robot Wars it will be based on whether the Dolphins find their 'fire', create a giant undersea army, and we are able to ally ourselves with Dolphinkind.

So, yeah, if touching noses on giant tablets help them achieve that, all the better.

you mean Giant underperforming tablets. I love how this forum takes every chance they can to apple hate. good reporting here by showing your not in favor of X production / direction. Redic.

looking at this.. I do see how touching the screen is using it. I would like to see more complex apps / use case before we call it "the Dolphin used it!"

Great. First the robots take our jobs on the way to robot domination, then the dolphins will be undercutting human wages and stealing our jobs. The only solution is bid up the mackeral market in response.

I wouldn't count in it.
Most likely they will be too busy taking selfies and posting them on SnoutBook.

My cats use tablets the same way as this dolphin does, and they were just as quick to figure it out. A very lackluster demonstration of dolphin "intelligence."

there are a few videos of turtles doing the same thing. So one would assume that turtles are as smart? just a little slower! lol

Back