Dolby Labs Is Using Biosensors to Learn How We’re Reacting to Movies and Shows

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I am pretty sure that you can gauge how exciting or crappy a movie is just by observing the viewer, so I am not sure what the real merit of Dolby’s tech is here aside from showing a fancy thermal image of someone and their heart rate. The company claims that this data can provide insight for developing better content, but it is worse than I thought if creatives can’t even determine how a piece of writing would affect someone emotionally.

…Dolby scientists are studying how we react to what we’re watching. Inside a makeshift, sound-proofed living room, a woman sat on a leather couch wearing a 64-channel EEG cap, a type of bio-medical cap that’s commonly used to measure the electrical activity generated by neurons in the brain. On her wrist was a tracker measuring heart rate and galvanic skin response (or, sweat); she also had a pulse oximeter on her fingertip. A thermal imaging camera was pointed at her. This is how Dolby is trying to “better understand the human experience,” according to Poppy Crum, chief scientist at Dolby Labs.

I'd wear this if it meant less shitty movies and my tickets were free.

Back