Dolby Bringing Surround Sound to Tablets and Smartphones

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Dolby Atmos surround sound is coming to a tablet or smartphone near you. Dolby is going to replicate the movie theater-quality effects so that you can experience the same sound quality on your mobile device.

The tech made its appearance at the Mobile World Congress and explained how a dedicated audio processor chip or an ARM processor core running the algorithms can replicate the Atmos effect.

More worried about tablets that aren't loud enough, then to get surround sound.

yeah. surround sound emanating from a device you hold in front of you.

morons. (the consumers who buy this garbage).

If people are dumb enough to think they are getting surround sound from a soundbar, why not assume they are dumb enough to think they can get it from a tablet or phone too?

It's a good thing this standard is finally hitting tablets, considering the crap sound a majority of them have.

I simply use surround speakers like a normal person.

The reason why we enjoy movies more at a Dolby Atmos-equipped theater is because of the immersive sound experience. It’s like you actually hear the bullet whizzing past your ear or the horses galloping from one end of the screen to the other. The Atmos technology gives the sound artiste the creative freedom to choose where they want to place the sound components. For example, they may choose to make the sound ‘move’ from the left of the screen to the ceiling of the theatre and then back to the right.

Do bloggers ever know what the fuck they're talking about?

"Dolby has found a way to ‘trick’ your brains into thinking that surround sound is possible via headphones and tablets."

It's simulated surround sound; the position of the device has no bearing on the positional accuracy of the audio.

You can get a decent virtual surround sound w/good headphones, as the fixed position relative to your eardrums makes it possible... but this virtual surround garbage w/phones, tablets, and even sound bars is just a joke. Granted most people are a combination of tone deaf and hearing damaged from listening too loud on their earbuds... but this sounds nothing like real surround. Nothing...

But it'll be another BS selling point for marketing, and give douchebags another reason to think it's cool to watch shit loudly on their tablets in public without headphones... Had to tell some asshole at the doctors office the other day if he didn't turn off his movie or pop in some ear buds, he'd had another reason to visit. He turned it off... and the whole room clapped.

Fucking people...

Why? So I can pay for the privilege of hearing tin can sound coming at me from different directions?

Where are they going to put the 12" subwoofer?

That's the "premium bundle" that includes the backpack subwoofer for another 200 bucks. I think an extra 50 will get you "subwoofer pants", that literally shake your ass for you. No more "white people can't dance" excuses.

I assumed the issue was more with its mini-HDMI or bluetooth output, so it could do surround sound out of those. I could certainly see people wanting to use a phone/tablet to output multimedia to a receiver.

I use a tablet with bluetooth 2.1 as a in-car PC. Does my navigation, music, and when I'm just bored parked with the engine off I'll throw on some anime (its sweet, car radio works without key in ignition). Sound is pretty awesome, and big fan of the interface (giant buttons and swipes or gestures control it more easily than my crappy car headunit IMO).

That's the "premium bundle" that includes the backpack subwoofer for another 200 bucks. I think an extra 50 will get you "subwoofer pants", that literally shake your ass for you. No more "white people can't dance" excuses.

That could be really disgusting if it catches on with the average obese Wal-Mart shoppers. :( There are some things that should be shaken as little as possible.

I never could have imagined ever wanting a tablet, but THIS will finally push me over the edge to buy!

Not.

That could be really disgusting if it catches on with the average obese Wal-Mart shoppers. :( There are some things that should be shaken as little as possible.

I suspect you'd have to then go for the 18" sub model. Something about power to weight ratios....

Dolby loves to have very expensive codecs , several Apple apps can not decode all the dolby stuff.

Back