Dolby Atmos Comes to Netflix

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Those of you who own an Xbox One/S or 2017 LG OLED TV and Atmos setup may now enjoy Dolby’s modern surround sound technology through Netflix. Only Okja and BLAME! include Atmos tracks thus far, but the catalog will grow later this year with features such as Death Note and Bright. Dolby Atmos technology allows up to 128 audio tracks plus associated spatial audio description metadata; height speakers are added to traditional configurations (e.g., 5.1/7.1) for increased immersion.

Much like how 4K and HDR bring more stunning and realistic visuals to the screen, Dolby Atmos delivers captivating sound that places and moves audio anywhere in the room, including overhead, to bring entertainment to life all around you, all in the comfort of your own living room. Imagine being surrounded by the sounds of the scene you’re watching - an airplane passing overhead, or the subtlety of the wind rustling tree leaves all around you. Having the extra dimension of immersive audio is a game changer for experiencing the realism of a story, and feeling like you’re a part of it.

I wonder how much more bandwidth a stream requires to get Atmos to work.

I am seriously in love with Dolby Atmos. It is so much better than Dolby Digital and DTS.

I'm very happy to see Netflix and Amazon coming around to finally streaming titles using the technology.

No clue if it's just the way things are mixed or if it's the technology, but I *hate* the current Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack for most Netflix content. Music, sound effects, and literally everything except dialogue is super loud. Yet whenever someone starts speaking I have to crank up the volume to hear them...only to be deafened by anything else. It doesn't matter which channels are being used either.

If offering Atmos fixes that, I'm excited.

No clue if it's just the way things are mixed or if it's the technology, but I *hate* the current Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack for most Netflix content. Music, sound effects, and literally everything except dialogue is super loud. Yet whenever someone starts speaking I have to crank up the volume to hear them...only to be deafened by anything else. It doesn't matter which channels are being used either.

What kinda of sound system do you have? Just turn up the center a bit and it should be fine. If you are using cheep or built in tv speaker's spend a few $$$-$$$$ and it will blow you away

Yay, another new thing that Netflix doesn't support on most tv's or on pc :(, seems like pc users always get the short end of the stick when it comes to this kind of thing.

What kind of a/v receiver are you using? I don't have that problem, it might be the way you have your speakers configured and what settings you are using.

Agreed, it's pretty crap. I've found that watching through the Windows app is a little better than watching through the browser but it's still not ideal.

What kinda of sound system do you have? Just turn up the center a bit and it should be fine. If you are using cheap or built in tv speaker's spend a few $$$-$$$$ and it will blow you away

I've got an exceptionally good home audio system and Netflix audio still sucks. The amount I have to turn the center channel up and everything else down is absolutely ridiculous and makes watching Netflix a pain in the ass some times.

Is Atmos just another iteration of Pro Logic?

I wonder how much more bandwidth a stream requires to get Atmos to work.
If Atmos is anything like Dolby Pro Logic, it doesn't require any additional bandwidth over a standard 5.1 or 7.1 audio stream.

I've got a Klipsch sound bar, and Netflix mixing is no issue to me probably 90% of the time. I don't have direct control over channels though besides the sub, and turning on/off virtual surround.

Be nice if they start stepping up the audio quality. The Stars app on Xbox streams in DTS . And sounds pretty good. Wonder what quality / bit rate this is streaming at on Netflix.

Be nice if they start stepping up the audio quality. The Stars app on Xbox streams in DTS . And sounds pretty good. Wonder what quality / bit rate this is streaming at on Netflix.

I think it's more the mix and the way it's processed in their software. The quality of each individual channel seems fine for the most part.

I've got an exceptionally good home audio system and Netflix audio still sucks. The amount I have to turn the center channel up and everything else down is absolutely ridiculous and makes watching Netflix a pain in the ass some times.

Do you have a Roku, or Playstation or Xbox or some other 'streaming device" besides your TV to try? I've not tried netflix on my home theater from the PC, but it work perfectly fine audio wise from any of the streaming devices. (7.8.4 Atmos setup here)

So I wonder if this will make it's way down to Rokus, or Fire Sticks, or PS3/PS4 too?

Anyone know a way to split the Xbox One S? My Receiver supports Dolby Atmos, but not HDR nor Dobly Vision. My television does though (I have a measly 2016 LG OLED). This is one thing that's been bugging me for awhile.

Anyone know a way to split the Xbox One S? My Receiver supports Dolby Atmos, but not HDR nor Dobly Vision. My television does though (I have a measly 2016 LG OLED). This is one thing that's been bugging me for awhile.
HDMI out to TV, Digital to receiver?

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with 5.2. I even have speakers mounted in my ceiling already - but not the equipment to drive them (nor the desire to purchase and wire them up)

Maybe I should go listen to an awesome Atmos setup, but I'm having a hard time getting excited for this.

What kinda of sound system do you have? Just turn up the center a bit and it should be fine. If you are using cheep or built in tv speaker's spend a few $$$-$$$$ and it will blow you away

I have a Denon S710W right now, but it has been an issue on my previous two Sony receivers as well. I'm currently on a 7.1 set of Polk speakers. It's nothing amazing, but it isn't bad. If nothing else, I can say that it's configured correctly. I have no other issues with anything else with the exception of Netflix (DD+) and anything that uses Pro Logic. That's been the case when I only had it setup for 5.1, too.
I can crank my center channel's volume all the way up, but then it sounds horrible with literally everything else. I'm pretty certain it's the format.

Only HDMI can carry the Dolby Atmos meta data so no way to work around this limitation if you onlyhave one HDMI output. This is why nearly all UHD players have dual HDMI outputs, one for audio and one for video.
Would an HDMI splitter work for this?

Would an HDMI splitter work for this?

Due to how HDMI works, if you split the signal, you end up with the lowest common denominator. Hence, I lose HDR info if I split. Some devices out there apparently can put in fake information, but I'm trying to figure out which ones, and how to set it up.

I read so far the only movie they have is Okja, does anyone konw of another Atmos title on Netflix?

Back