DOJ Charges Nine Iranians With Hacking Hundreds of Universities and Other Victims

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The DOJ has charged nine Iranian citizens with the hacking of hundreds of universities, companies, and others. They stole research, proprietary data and intellectual property. The hacking was done under the auspices of the Mabna Institute in Tehran on behalf of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Considering what the DOJ has uncovered I can understand why some might not trust Iran to stick to the weak nuclear deal that the President has threatened to back out of. Thanks cageymaru.

“These nine Iranian nationals allegedly stole more than 31 terabytes of documents and data from more than 140 American universities, 30 American companies, five American government agencies, and also more than 176 universities in 21 foreign countries,” said Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein. “For many of these intrusions, the defendants acted at the behest of the Iranian government and, specifically, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps.

31 TB of stolen data...that still sounds like a lot to me. The first hard drive I ever worked with was a whopping 5MB and my first drive was 33MB, it doesn't seem all that long ago, and I remember waiting minutes for web sites with a pic or two to load up; okay I guess it took them ~5 years to get it all, still boggles my mind.

Anyway, my question: does anyone bother to protect their "valuable" data?

So, YouTube is going to protect us by banning videos on how to make a gun (zip guns predated the internet by a long shot, I've got a book somewhere that tells how to make a handgun) and it makes me wonder what super-weapons these guys found the plans to? Like how to nuke your neighbors in 10 easy steps? Talk about locking the barn door after the horse was stolen. I've given up hoping people will catch on and take computer security seriously (yeah great they caught the these guys, how many others are there and what damage has this group done these last five years).
Ok rant over.

...Considering what the DOJ has uncovered I can understand why some might not trust Iran to stick to the weak nuclear deal that the President has threatened to back out of.

Ain't that one of those logical fallacies?

A country hacked other country !?... What do we say when we hacked other countries? That they asked for it for having poorly secured systens?

A country hacked other country !?... What do we say when we hacked other countries? That they asked for it for having poorly secured systens?

Dude, it's just the game.

It's advantage, leverage, profit, and claiming the other guy is a wolf while you slip out of the back of the hen house.

It's just the game.

Everyone has to play but not everyone wins.

Seems like the DOJ is charging a lot of people with crimes in countries that will not extradite. First Russians now Iranians. Why bother? When will the DOJ start charging aliens with human abductions :)

US accuses all other countries of having intelligence services of various degrees of effectiveness.

Whats with all the charges of Foreign dudes. Is this for marketing purposes. Its like someone has decided that all these foreigners are responsible for all the ills of the USA. 13 Russians, now 9 Iranians that can't be brought to the states to be dealt with. Their are dudes closer to home that could be charged with malicious intent to bring down a legally elected government.

Seems like the DOJ is charging a lot of people with crimes in countries that will not extradite. First Russians now Iranians. Why bother? When will the DOJ start charging aliens with human abductions :)

Because it limits their freedom of movement in the world, they can not only be arrested in the US, but in several other friendly countries as well.

And they become bargaining chips. If you want a trade deal, we want these people ....
You have some people of ours, we'll drop these charges if you give us back ours ......
Sure, even if it's a chip we can't force them to give up, it can still have a purpose ......

What's more, if they are arrested, what happens to things they may be carrying with them at the time? Sure it might be encrypted, but encrypted data has become unencrypted data before so .......

Back