Doesn't it seem like ATI or Nvidia must lose and go out of business?

Sharky974

Identified Troll
And isn't that a shame?

It just seems like they cant both survive forever..ya know?

The only way i could see that happening is if one was to aquire the other.

Only if another company were to just come out of nowhere and blow them right of the water in every category (graphics cards throughout the whole spectrum/chipsets/etc) and ATi or NVidia couldn't compete. Though this may happen, it wouldn't happen suddenly. Besides, imo both companies need each other for competition.

RoffleCopter said:
Only if another company were to just come out of nowhere and blow them right of the water in every category (graphics cards throughout the whole spectrum/chipsets/etc) and ATi or NVidia couldn't compete. Though this may happen, it wouldn't happen suddenly. Besides, imo both companies need each other for competition.
intel could do it.

it won't happen, because it is ILLEGAL to be a monopoly. there must be competition in the market; i'm guessing the government would step in and support whichever company from going out of business?

ignitionxvi said:
it won't happen, because it is ILLEGAL to be a monopoly. there must be competition in the market; i'm guessing the government would step in and support whichever company from going out of business?

Thers still companies like 3dlabs, to counter claims of monopilization.

RoffleCopter said:

companies don't need each other for competition

consumers need competition to drive down prices, raise customer service, etc...

Slo Gun said:
The only way i could see that happening is if one was to aquire the other.

taht would be bad.... say hello to $1000 cards

no competition, no technological race and advancement

Sharky974 said:
And isn't that a shame?

It just seems like they cant both survive forever..ya know?

Kind of like how Ford killed GM right? Or McDonnell Douglas killed Boeing?

-dB

Edit: Heh, I forgot about the Boeing/MD merger.... LOL.

They both just bought companies. :eek: Seems some insist on bringing out their "theories" at the worse possible times. Read a business article on Nv lately. Hell, I even think their stock has ridden up for awhile, and they are having or have had a split and taken part in some significant stock repurchasing. Nv is stronger than ever. ATi is in 2 out of three next gen consoles and are quite competive in the PC 3d card scene once again.

Business topics are always handled attrociously on enthusiast forums. I don't want to say much because I'll butcher it like I may already have with the stock thing. Then again, I have resistance to talking about things I don't understand fully. :)

ignitionxvi said:

It actually isn't illegal to be a monopoly. It's illegal to abuse your powers as a monopoly. That's why MS had a virtual monopoly on the PC OS market for years before they got hammered for including IE into Windows 98...

Heh,heh.....Nvidia stock just split 2:1, I dont think they are going anywhere.
Both have good products.
ASUS is HUGE and they havent put anybody in MBs or Graphics cards out of business.
Intel is gigantic......AMD does pretty well......
I could go on. :D

This topic makes little sense. :confused:

Reason for saying that: almost every company on the planet has a competitor yet they go on doing business.

ignitionxvi said:
it won't happen, because it is ILLEGAL to be a monopoly.
It is illegal to act monopolistic, but it is not illegal to be a monopoly, especially if it is due to powers out of your control.

ignitionxvi said:

Not exactly, its illegal to be a monopoly and use tactics that harm compeptition. If you happen to be a monopoly by default, but you aren't artificially creating high barriers to entry into the market, it is perfectly legal to have a monopoly.

at times when companies put out products that make you favore one over the other (such as back when the 9700 was released) it is human nature to support it and wish the other competitor would go away and "make your life easier"

personally i like both companies, i could never see NV going away, their TNT2 cards hit me straight home and from then on i could see where the graphics industry was going, and ATI's all in wonder cards hard a spot in my machines for years, when the 8500's came out i actually started using ATI as the main GPU in some of my machines

personally i think we should be gratefull both companies exist and have existed as long as they have, it would be awsome to have 3dfx still around to give us some more nostalgia to go around

CodeWaste said:
Not exactly, its illegal to be a monopoly and use tactics that harm compeptition. If you happen to be a monopoly by default, but you aren't artificially creating high barriers to entry into the market, it is perfectly legal to have a monopoly.

Right. If you prevent others from competing with you, that is illegal. However, if nobody wants to compete with you, then you havn't done anyting wrong by being the only one to provide consumers with a good product.

OK, it really doesn't matter what is legal or not... this is America, where big business rules. They can do wtf ever they want.

And NO its not cool if one or the other go outta business. Both are actively pushing each other to come out with better products... and we the enthusiasts are WINNING. Well, not exactly when it comes to the wallet side of the cards.... but that's inflation.

Thank your lucky motherfucking stars it isn't Intel. They are the processor industry's best "market a pos product" company ever. You don't want a golgothian like Intel telling you what your next GPU is.

HOCP4ME said:
Right. If you prevent others from competing with you, that is illegal. However, if nobody wants to compete with you, then you havn't done anyting wrong by being the only one to provide consumers with a good product.

yup, that's why creative is practically the only game in town when it comes to gaming sound cards

HOCP4ME said:

Kinda like going to big names like Dell and taking away their huge discounts and charging them alot more if they sell another companies cpu's...........that never happens :rolleyes:

Since ATI is a Canadian company I'm not sure how it can be claimed that NVidia doesnt already have a monopoly in the US. I guess Intel could be considered to be Nvidia's competition but ATI is a foreign owned company and I don't think they count.

Without one or the other we would just be getting to 9800 level cards now with prices well above $500 (competition drives research as well). So ya, keep wishing bad luck on one of them.

I think the marketing spin makes it seem like an all or nothing battle, but I don't think the marketplace reflects that.

rubic said:
Since ATI is a Canadian company I'm not sure how it can be claimed that NVidia doesnt already have a monopoly in the US. I guess Intel could be considered to be Nvidia's competition but ATI is a foreign owned company and I don't think they count.

Hmmm, it's called a global economy. For example, ATI just acquired a graphics company that was based in China.Doesn't matter where one is located. Company's could carless about their location as long as it doesn't effect profit.ATI and Nvidia sale the same product and to the same consumers so they're competitors. But monopolization is an intrisic characteristic of capitalism.

RoffleCopter said:
yup, that's why creative is practically the only game in town when it comes to gaming sound cards

Creative has used most of the monopolistic business practices Microsoft was cited for. They've just not been successfully called on it.

Remember the switch to PCI?
Remember how Creative couldn't make a PCI soundcard to save themselves?
Remember how Ensoniq could, and how they priced it even lower than the old stuff from Creative?
Remember how Creative then acquired Ensoniq, rebadged their products, and then sold them at inflated Creative prices?

Aureal was the last real chance to stop Creative from happily extending the dark ages of pc audio.

"...and one de facto standard---SB---to rule them all, muahaha, muahaha, mauhahahahah!"

Back