Does Windows copy files in any particular order?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Had to start and abort a copy operation 4 times due to my stupidity and each time it started with a different file. The last time I watched it and it appeared to be more or less copying in alphabetic order ever tho it didn't start with the first file. But it actually didn't, it skipped around. Even jumped from one folder to another and then back again.

BTW, this Is Server 2012 R2 Standard if that makes a difference.

TIA

It probably depends on what filesystem you have installed, but I know on ye olde windows installers it often appeared to go in order...that may have been due to the way files were indexed in the compressed install files, though.

Anyway, similar to the compressed/archive situation above, it probably is related to the file structure on disk, or an index/bitmap of file locations/data.

As far as I can tell it's semi random. I'm copying thousands of files in over 100 folders and it's copying in alphabetic order for awhile and then will jump to another folder for awhile and then to another. It always doubles back and does get all the files, just seems kinda mysterious to me why it does it the way it does. :confused:

I have noticed that if you drag and drop a group of files to initiate a copy using Explorer, Windows 10 and 11 will start with the file you dragged, complete its way to the bottom of the grouping and then fill in from the top.

Example: you band box select 6 files in explorer and then drag the group by the 3rd item into a new folder... it will copy items 3, 4, 5, 6, 1 and then 2

No matter how it does it, you can be sure that it will be slow if done through Explorer. It always amazes me how Microsoft can screw up such a simple function. It's fine if you're only doing a couple of files but deteriorates quickly when doing any significant number...

Back