Does Win7 hate me???

cesium666

Supreme [H]ardness
I've had nothing but problems on all the computers I've installed Win7 on. Everything was fine for maybe 2-3 weeks, but after that, nothing but mayhem, especially on our laptops.

Everything has Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with legitimate keys. no cracked bullshit here.

Desktop: Worked fine for a while. Last week, it just refused to boot up all the way. It went to the welcome to windows screen and then just restarted. I got rid of all OC and reseated shit, no help. It randomly fixed itself tho lol.

My laptop (in sig): As soon as I got the laptop, I wiped and installed Win7. Major issues started last week. First off, some background. It's constantly plugged into my monitor via VGA, ethernet, and a belkin usb hub with keyboard, mouse, sound card attached.

• The biggest issue is that after like an hour or two, anythign connected via USB just stops responding. The only way to solve is to restart the computer; switching usb ports or replugging does not help. I turned off every USB power saving setting in device manager, but it did not help. WTF?
    • This leads to another issue. At this stage, if I try to shut down the computer it never finishes, so I have to hard turn it off with the power button. If I want to restart instead, no dice. WTF?
  • Another issue is that I can no longer hibernate teh computer. When I select the option, it basically like tries to hibernate or something, but never finishes. I left teh computer alone for 20 minutes and it wasn't done. I only had like one program open, so that shouldn't cause an issue. Same thing happens with standby....
My bros laptop (my old dell m1210): This was working fine too, but it got completely FUBAR'd last week.

• It completely died for some reason for a while. It wouldn't turn on (not a battery issue), nothing would work at all
  • Finally, it came to life, sorta. Laptop screen was blank... However, it turned out that if connected to a monitor, you could use the laptop screen, so it isn't dead. And it's not a setting thing either from what we can tell. We tried every combo possible to get the laptop screen to work if no monitor was attached, but to this day, it still refuses to work. WTF????
Anyone have any idea what may be causing these issues? This is really frustrating, as I've been trying to think of what could be wrong, adn changing random settings to see if they help, but nothing has worked.

My girlfriend is really good friends with Win7's older sister Vista, and she told her that not only does Win 7 hate you, but she is going get her older brother Server 2003 to kick your ass.

The USB issue may be the result of a power profile option that turns off or reduces power to certain USB devices. And I guess certain USB devices may not wake up properly, or be recognized by the system when they are put into a low power state. Make your own power profile and click "change advanced power settings" then disable "usb selective suspend". It may help but ymmv.

Your other issues seem hardware related to me. And could be bad ram or a bad or corrupted hd.

Was the M1210 the GeForce varient?

Those run kida hot!
(then again, they all do, including the intel varients).

ya it had a 7400gs in it. but i had it for 2yrs before him, without any issues (on xp tho).

i will try that power profile thing for the usb, never knew of that setting. hopefully itll fix that :)

I
My bros laptop (my old dell m1210): This was working fine too, but it got completely FUBAR'd last week.

• It completely died for some reason for a while. It wouldn't turn on (not a battery issue), nothing would work at all
  • Finally, it came to life, sorta. Laptop screen was blank... However, it turned out that if connected to a monitor, you could use the laptop screen, so it isn't dead. And it's not a setting thing either from what we can tell. We tried every combo possible to get the laptop screen to work if no monitor was attached, but to this day, it still refuses to work. WTF????

Been running different variants of Win7 on different machines since beta first came out and have not had any problems thus far. Seems like for the laptop you are starting to run into some sort of hardware issue. Make sure that all the drivers for items in the device manager are updated and see if you can get both monitors to display (ie laptop 1 desktop 2).

ya i think it is a hardware issue. i was just grouping into my win7 woes since i never had any problems when i had xp on it.

i updated all the drivers initially, but i will check again when i see my bro next

hm the usb problem came back on my comp.. wtffff..

maybe once sony releases proper win7 drivers everything will work fine :-/

Back