Does Vista kill the MBR like Windows XP did?

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Does Vista kill my bootloader like Windows XP does on a fresh install?

CoW]8(0);1031393021 said:
Does Vista kill my bootloader like Windows XP does on a fresh install?

Yes, Vista does write its own boot loader to the MBR. You'll have to rewrite your preferred boot loader back to it after Vista installs.

Annoying....I would have thought Vista would have learned to be more friendly towards other OS's. Shame on M$. Looks like I'll be burning another LiveCD...

lolololololololololololololololololol

*edit: it is friendly to other OS's, as long as they are Microsoft OS's

CoW]8(0);1031393042 said:
Annoying....I would have thought Vista would have learned to be more friendly towards other OS's. Shame on M$. Looks like I'll be burning another LiveCD...

How does windows know what another O/S bootloader looks like compared to a damaged boot loader?

The 99% case with any operating system is a single O/S, and as such every O/S should optomize that case.

However, optomizing can also go to far, I've had a linux O/S on my dualboot helpfully tell me linux doesn't support NTFS and then blow away my Windows XP install. (The next version removed this "feature" so apparently I wasn't the only one annoyed... ;) )

So there in a nutshell why it replaces it, there is no easy way to tell if it's corrupted, or another vendor's loader. But the flipside, it's easy to fix, in every O/S, because of this situation.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

lolololololololololololololololololol

*edit: it is friendly to other OS's, as long as they are Microsoft OS's

vista not to freindly with xp in certain instances. i am trying to get my vista computer to recognize her network over a wireless router.i am now forced to hunt down the proper patches/updates to her computer so that mine can "see"her network.very time consuming.

its just rude simple as that
all they have todo is add an "advance" option to the Windows installer and part of that is an option whether it writes itself to the MBR or not. Linux doesn't know whether present MBR is corrupt/valid or not BUT the distro's give you the option... doesn't take much

Back