Does video card suffer with higher res monitors/multiple monitors?

Hitokiri Batohsai

Limp Gawd
I usually play games at the monitor's native resolution on my 1920x1080 LG monitor. I just sold my Dell 1905fp-1280x1024 and upgraded to a Dell U2311H which has the same resolution as the LG. Since its only two monitors, I play games with only one, with the other one showing desktop gadgets/IM's etc. At times the other monitor is running a MMORPG as well in window mode.

Just factoring the new resolution, from a 1280x1024 to a 1920x1080, will my gaming experience (frames per sec) suffer? since the video card needs to generate more pixels for the other monitor. Another follow up question -if it does effect performance, should I OC the GPU to remedy it? I've no problem OC the CPU as it can still automatically adjust the bus speeds so even though it says in the BIOS that its 3.2ghz, I'm getting between stock 2.4ghz and 3.2ghz depending on load. I am not sure if its the same case with the GPU.

I've not obtain the monitor yet, so I don't know how true this is

higher res = lower FPS.

Yes, you need more power to push the resolution.

your cpu is using speed step, which throttles back the cpu when you dont need all the power from it, GPU do this from 2D to 3D.

you can overclock it to compensate but make sure you have adequate cooling.

Shouldn't really be a problem, there is no 3d rendering going on in the second screen.

If you were moving from gaming on a 1920x1080 monitor with a 1280x1024 secondary monitor just showing the desktop with IMs & gadgets, to gaming on a 1920x1080 monitor with a larger secondary 1920x1080 monitor showing a bit more of the desktop with the same IMs/gadgets, it'd likely make no difference at all.

When that secondary monitor is showing a mmorpg in a window the performance will only be negatively affected on the new bigger monitor were you to increase the size of the window in which the mmorpg is rendered to larger than it is/was on the smaller monitor.

See, clear as mud. x

It will have minimal performance impact. Now if you run 3d applications on both monitors, the second monitor will have less framerate since it now has 1.6 times the number of pixels. It may also effect the other monitor if your video card is getting to its limits performance wise.

If you were moving from gaming on a 1920x1080 monitor with a 1280x1024 secondary monitor just showing the desktop with IMs & gadgets, to gaming on a 1920x1080 monitor with a larger secondary 1920x1080 monitor showing a bit more of the desktop with the same IMs/gadgets, it'd likely make no difference at all.

When that secondary monitor is showing a mmorpg in a window the performance will only be negatively affected on the new bigger monitor were you to increase the size of the window in which the mmorpg is rendered to larger than it is/was on the smaller monitor.

See, clear as mud. x

I can't. The MMORPG is fixed 800x600 I think, so higher resolution= smaller window.

Thanks, so no performance impact then.

Sorry, i miss-read it, i thought your main monitor was upgraded from the 1280 x 1024 res.

Back