Does using almost all ram effect performance?

Xa3phod

Limp Gawd
Running 16GB of B-die Flair 3200 AMD ram. Amazing that if I run Starwars Battlegrounds and one chrome window, I am using around 15GB of ram. Does that effect speed at all that I am so close to tapping out? I haven't seen it hit 16GB yet, I figure it did I would know it when the swap file kicked in. Does it make sense to go to 32GB? Or is 15GB usage fine?

It doesn't affect it at all. The bandwidth is the same if you use 1GB or all 16GB. It's only when you exceed the 16GB that your system wiill have to resort to the page file on your OS drive.

It doesn't affect it at all. The bandwidth is the same if you use 1GB or all 16GB. It's only when you exceed the 16GB that your system wiill have to resort to the page file on your OS drive.

Keep in mind that a spot check in time is not indicative of running out of physical memory. You may not even notice in the current application if windows has started to use the page file. You really need to check the paging file counter to see if it's actually being used. I.E. you need to actually measure these things.

While technically correct in that the RAM bandwidth remains the same its not entirely correct to say system performance will remain the same.

That being said 16GB is a bit low for a gaming machine and memory is relatively cheap.

Depends on how large the allocated chunks of data in memory are, how much is actively being used by processes, how much you need in memory that isn't already there, and probably a bunch of other stuff.

Generally speaking, as long as you don't have a rogue process or bad memory leak in an active process, you shouldn't suffer with 99% memory usage. Most of that will be cache/buffers, and a lot can probably be swapped out because the program using it is inactive or no longer needs it (just hasn't done garbage collection yet).

If you do experience problems due to insufficient memory, likely everything will grind to a halt, or programs/processes will crash with an oom error, or Windows will simply BSOD (because that's it's favorite fallback for everything).

Back