does this qualify for an RMA?? (Eclipse, if you're out there!)

killedaway

Limp Gawd
as stated in a recent thread i started, i bought some G.Skill ram (2x1GB) from Newegg. i can't get them to run stable @ stock for the life of me. i've tried all kinds of different timings and voltages and settings for the past 4 hours, and it just ain't happening. i'm using memtest to check them. i'm not getting an excessive amount of errors (after 1 complete pass of all 8 tests, there'd be 1 or 2 errors, no matter what i tried), but even 1 is one too many.

so, i took one of the sticks out, and ran a single 1GB stick. after a full pass of memtest with NO errors, i switched out the sticks. the second stick errors in test 6 with the exact same settings.

is that it? can i consider that stick to be bad? it stands to reason that if one stick goes thru smooth, and the second stick does not, i've found the problem... does it not? please point me in the right direction, folks. thanks!

Yes, for ANY RAM, if you get errors with memtest, the RAM (or OC) is bad. If your at stock, the RAM is bad. With my first ballistix, I got about 2-4 errors within the first 10 minutes. With my second stick I got about 40 errors within the first 5-7 hours. You should not get any errors. RMA them. If they were ballistix, Id say get new RAM :p

yep, it's official. i had one stick run memtest for 3 full passes with zero errors. the second stick ran for the same 3 passes, and it returned the same 2 errors every time in test 6, for a total of 6 errors. thanks to those who replied.

RMA request sent. weak.

If you cannot run that memory module at stock settings, then any reputable company should let you RMA it.

just out of curiosity, which ram slots were you using, yellow or orange? and what bios do you have on that board?

(cf)Eclipse said:
just out of curiosity, which ram slots were you using, yellow or orange? and what bios do you have on that board?
orange slots, together in dual channel, and then each in a single slot by themselves. i'm running whatever bios came with my board OTB. while one might argue that a BIOS update might help, i'd considered it and then rejected the idea after finding one stick to run error-free and the other to exhibit numerous errors.... or am i off-base?

definitely try a bios update... probably won't solve the problem, but it's worth a shot, right? ;)

Back