Does this exist?

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
I've dreamed of having a dually rig as my main setup but sadly all I have is a dual PIII and it is louder than crap so I don't use it.

Anyway, I've been thinking to myself and brought up question.

Is there any dual boards (Intel or AMD) that has atleast 1 PCI-e and supports unregistered (just standard RAM) 184-pin DDR?

I only ask about the RAM because the dual PIII I have supports standard SD RAM.

Get a dual core AMD or P4 and the motherboard will likely use DDR

(you said dual, Im assuming you mean dual core, not dual socket)

No, I'm talking dual socket.

If I wanted a dual core right now I could just pick up and Opty 165 or something similar.

I'm not really looking at upgrading just asking out of curiosity.

Yes they do exist, except i'm not sure if any work with unregistered/non-ECC memory..?

Do you mean one that you could put your 144 in though? In that case, no.

No, I do know if I wanted a dual socket I'd have to go to S940.

The registered RAM is the biggest thing I've always felt. Mainly cause it gets expensive.

If they make them, there are very, very few of them.

If you're going to be dropping money on a dual socket system, registered memory should not be that big of deal.

That said, a Quad-core system will be just as fast, or faster than a dual-dual core AMD rig. And it will be cheaper as well. Multi-socket systems have very few uses for the average user.

sorry misread post,
don't know of any boards after the PIII and athlon-MP that would take this kind of ram...
but registered doesn't seem that expensive compared to high quality standard ram (let alone DDR3..)

Multi socket doesn't make sense unless you intend to use more than 4 cores. (dual quad Core)
Anything up to 4 will be cheaper to build (and much easier to overclock) on one socket.

Back