Does the X25-M mount in a case like the P183 without any additional accessories?

Cyrilix

2[H]4U
Does the Intel SSD (2.5" as opposed to 3.5") mount like a regular hard drive? 2 screw on each side, fits in bracket drive mounting bracket, etc. I'm intending to use one with a P183.

of course not, how would a 2.5" drive fit in a 3.5" hole?
you're gonna need to use an adapter or rig something up yourself

Hmm, what about just loosely placing it in your case? I would assume that there's no problem with no moving parts, since it won't be vibrating all around. Also, any suggestions on an affordable adapter?

I'll have to see if I can find a Canadian equivalent, but that looks alright...

Hmm, what about just loosely placing it in your case? I would assume that there's no problem with no moving parts, since it won't be vibrating all around. Also, any suggestions on an affordable adapter?
that's what mine is doing right now
if the P183 is like the P182, there is a nice little slot for it in the floppy bay
you could also use some velcro or just put it in a drive bay with 1 screw holding it - it's super light

I just mount them to one side and let them kinda hang. Unless you're moving your pc about a lot, it's not like they are going to work themselves loose, just like Cyrilix and Ender said.

A lot of people use velcro apparently... Personally I have a two drive hot swap bay, and a four drive hot swap bay.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'll go with the accessory-less-hobo option / one-sided-screws option first, and see how that goes. If they cause problems, I'll add a bit of cash to the mix. I don't think I have any velcro on-hand.

Numerous options here for the ghetto mod like zipties, shoe strings, duck tape... it really doesn't matter since there are no mechanical parts and orientation doesn't matter either.

Yeah zip ties should be as good as velcro... probably wouldn't use duck tape - a little to messy for me

$6 - Scythe Bay Rafter 2.5 2.5" in a 3.5" bay
$9 - Scythe 2.5 Twin Mounter 2.5 inch SSD in 3.5inch bay
$10 - OCZ OCZACSSDBRKT Solid State Drive 3.5" Adaptor Bracket
$11 - DataStor 104432 Universal 2.5" IDE Hard Disk to 3.5" Bay

jeez... I used to have a bunch of these (similar to that $9 Scythe version), bought them for 2" each and they came with IDE laptop adapters, lol. Prices have gone up! Too bad I gave away all of my extras already.

They're $5 shipped off of fleabay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/LAPTOP-2-5-HD-T...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308|301:1|293:1|294:50

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hanging = Commando!!

If you have a horizontal drive bays then hanging is easy.

Besides if you have to do occasional firmware upgrades its a bit of a hassle to unscrew and unmount everything.

Are there any cool adapters that have fans built in?

Fans, on a SSD? WHY

In my one system I have 4 of them taped together in a single block with no space between them and they are still room temperature.

Even a 7200 notebook drive would be plenty cool in a regular case. They just run hot in notebooks due to the fact that there is never enough cooling air flowing through a laptop.

Don

lol, ghettorigging a $300+ HDD

That's part of what makes them so great, move them around, drop them, swing them over your head, they just keep r/w'ing. As long as the connection is maintained and they don't break something else, who cares how they live in your case? A lot of us get these drives from places that don't have adapters as noted above and it's a PITA to requisition something from an odd source.

I do a fair amount with my case.

Move it around, lay it on the side, whatever.

My Lian Li has a HD mounting system that makes it extremely easy for the drives to be secure, yet easily removeable.....which I also do alot.

I don't give a crap about aesthetics inside the case but I do like my drives secure to the point where I can easily move and lay the case on it's side.

Back