Does the WRT54G/S run in AP mode?

tripex

Gawd
Hi

I'm configuring a WLAN for a friend of mine. His house is quite big.
So i thought i would use 1 Router and 1 WAP to help spread the signal.

Problem is, i couldnt get a WAP.
So, i got one WRT54G and one WRT54GS (both are routers).

I want these two guys to act as one.
How do i do that?

TIA

You need to setup WDS on the both of them. I don't believe the stock firmware offers WDS however. You need to put some aftermarket firmware on those routers that supports WDS fortunately you happen to have two models that have piles of hacked firmware available (I know I have one ;)) Check out http://www.linksysinfo.com/ it has plenty of good info and links to the different firmware you can get for them (Most of it is free btw).

tripex said:
Hi

I'm configuring a WLAN for a friend of mine. His house is quite big.
So i thought i would use 1 Router and 1 WAP to help spread the signal.

Problem is, i couldnt get a WAP.
So, i got one WRT54G and one WRT54GS (both are routers).

I want these two guys to act as one.
How do i do that?

TIA

Good luck these routers are garbage. They have bad problems with wireless I suggest that you return them for something better. The only way I could get my half way stable is to run a beta firmware from Linksys. And it still has stability problems.

Just to let you know these routers drop wireless badly and you need to reboot the routers every day, otherwise they go unresponsive. You can just google the problems if you want to read more.

Oh to make them act as one just give them the same ID.

Wrench00 said:
Good luck these routers are garbage. They have bad problems with wireless I suggest that you return them for something better. The only way I could get my half way stable is to run a beta firmware from Linksys. And it still has stability problems.

Just to let you know these routers drop wireless badly and you need to reboot the routers every day, otherwise they go unresponsive. You can just google the problems if you want to read more.

Oh to make them act as one just give them the same ID.

Err, WRT54G are very popular in these forums.

Anyway, what do you mean "same ID". Same SSID??
I tried that and it doesnt work.

My nic still detects both networks as beeing different ones (which makes sense).

Perhaps better define what your trying to do. "act as one" doesn't make any sense. If you mean you want one of them to be an AP only then uplink it to your existing/parent Router/AP and disable the DHCP server. Ta-da. It's a dedicated AP with a built in switch. These devices are already AP's. Sounds like you just need to deny the routing functionality. Not using the WAN port does that and disabling the DHCP server on the second device takes care of that problem. Both should already have the same SSID but if not then make them the same. Oh, and I don't know about the GS but the WRT54G is as decent a budget AP/Router combo as any.

ktwebb said:
Perhaps better define what your trying to do. "act as one" doesn't make any sense. If you mean you want one of them to be an AP only then uplink it to your existing/parent Router/AP and disable the DHCP server. Ta-da. It's a dedicated AP with a built in switch. These devices are already AP's. Sounds like you just need to deny the routing functionality. Not using the WAN port does that and disabling the DHCP server on the second device takes care of that problem. Both should already have the same SSID but if not then make them the same. Oh, and I don't know about the GS but the WRT54G is as decent a budget AP/Router combo as any.

Problem is, how do i uplink them, wirelessly?
How do i make the second router (the one i want to act as a simple AP) authenticate on the main one? You dont think it would do that automatically do you?

irrision said:
You need to setup WDS on the both of them. I don't believe the stock firmware offers WDS however. You need to put some aftermarket firmware on those routers that supports WDS fortunately you happen to have two models that have piles of hacked firmware available (I know I have one ;)) Check out http://www.linksysinfo.com/ it has plenty of good info and links to the different firmware you can get for them (Most of it is free btw).

Thanks man, i will check that stuff.
Which one do you recommend?

Sveasoft, HyperWRT, or OpenWRT ?

Back