Does the Windows 10 Creator's Update just ignore the "Configure Automatic Updates" Group Policy now?

I have Windows 10 Pro, and used the Group Policy Editor to disable checking of updates so I can manually install them when I want to. The Install Updates screen when I did manually install would reflect this, saying that it would not check for updates.

I notice this has changed now ever since I installed the creator's update, now it claims it will check and install them automatically... is the Update app just displaying that by default, or is it actually ignoring this group policy now? Is there a new one that took it's place?

And no, I am not talking about deferring updates for X amount of days, I am talking about preventing them at all until I manually choose to run an update.

Are you applying group policy locally (setting it on the computer) or are you joined to a domain where policy is dictated by a domain controller? If you're on a domain, then you might need to download the GPOs (group policy objects) for the Creator's Update (1703) and add them to your domain controller.

Would it at all surprise you if Microsoft took away your ability to use local GPO to disable the automatic checking of updates?

I know it wouldn't surprise me.

Actual slide...

MXN2g99.jpg

Back