Does the Rift S possess any features that would make it a must-have over the Odyssey+?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
Prices notwithstanding, is there anything about the Rift S which makes it objectively better than the Odyssey+, or anything about the Odyssey which makes it worse?

At the moment headsets are very subjective. There are so many factors that can influence how one person can take to one particular VR headset and hate a different one. The shape of your head, the shape of your eyes, your IPD etc. are some of the things that have an affect on what you think of a headset. Some people, like myself thinks that the Rift S is better, others, like Bobzdar, thinks that the Odyssey + is better.

My advice would be to try on both headsets if you can.

Here is my brief summary of the pluses both headset have over the other.

Rift S - Has Passthrough, better tracking, low persistence lenses, Better clarity. Longer cable. Larger sweet spot, touch controllers, native support for Oculus games,

Odyssey+ - Better sound, better black levels because of AMOLED screens), 90Hz vs 80hz of the Rift S, wider FOV. Manual IPD adjustment.

I listed the positives for both headsets that aren't subjective. Like, I left out Comfort as that can vary a lot from person to person.

you said, price notwithstanding, but, by the tone of your post I gather you are considering a Samsung + because it's on sale right now and are looking for reasons not to get it?

I think for the overall VR experience the Rift S is better. But, if you are new to VR and don't have a headset at present, then the Samsung Odyssey + will be fine, especially at it's current price.

I have both. Odyssey has a better screen and worse controls. Thing is... I cant wear the odyssey more than 15 minutes with out great pain. I have changed the face pad and a few other things, but it presses on a pressure point on my forehead.

I have both. Odyssey has a better screen and worse controls. Thing is... I cant wear the odyssey more than 15 minutes with out great pain. I have changed the face pad and a few other things, but it presses on a pressure point on my forehead.
This. I hated the Odyssey+ so much that I returned it. The halo design is bad, but the real problem is that the IPD can't be adjusted small enough to fit me.

The Rift-S looks similar, but I found it way more comfortable, and while it only has "software" IPD adjustment, I found it worked pretty well for me.

The Odyssey is very uncomfortable, that alone is a deal breaker. It also has comparatively poor tracking and the controllers are laughable at best.

I personally have not experienced any of the discomfort issues, and the IPD adjustments worked well for me as well. I'm going to be utilizing the Odyssey HMD with Vive wands for tracking. I also don't have any issues with the Vive wands that other are very vocal about. The visual quality for the price is extremely attractive since I was about to invest in an Index. This should hold me over until the next technological "bump".

For all VR headsets, comfort really depends on your head shape. The O+ fits my wide head like a glove, I slip it on at its max size give the knob three clicks and its on. For me, way better than original Rift. As others have mentioned the ergonomics of a halo styled band is either great or terrible--doesn't work great on all head shapes and can result in unbearable pressure points.

If you feel like the headset is weighing on your nose/face, you can wear the back band further down your head closer to your neck. This levers the headset away from your face.

On the O+ I went to Walmart, got Velcro straps and made another support. Works perfect, weight is on top of head and the headset became very comfortable. As for the Vive Pro, I liked the original Vive strap better vice the welding helmet method.

Back