Does the Plextor 708A DVD burner have anything over the LiteOn 811S?

Deadlierchair

[H]ard|Gawd
I'll throw in another vote for Lite-On, I've never had any problems with their stuff and the price is always fantastic. I know Plextor has the CD-RW drive that can do all the special stuff like burn a 1 gig cd (there's a bunch of other things too), so if I had the money to burn, I would have gotten the Plextor. Lite-On still makes a great drive, I have yet to be unhappy with one or have regretted recommending one to a friend. Fantastic quality, incredibly fast, a little loud (at least for my burner), but still a great drive maker.

Originally posted by Icewindius
Relibility and quality components are what your paying for on the Plextor. Basically, spend a little more now and get a solid reliable drive, or save and have a dead or broken drive in a few years.

Liteon is known for its low prices, but not know for their quality. There is always a tradeoff. I freaking love my new Plextor, burns so fast and its very quiet. Liteons have a tendancy to be noisier as well. Plextor also reinforces the benzels on their drives in the event a CD explodes from the high spindle speeds.

newadditon.jpg

You get what you pay for. Check out this review to get a good idea

DVD Burners

LiteOn drives are quite nice, really, although I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are as good as Plextors. However, I am confused as to how a reinforced 'benzel' is a relevant purchase consideration. By your argument, we should all go and buy iBooks and Powerbooks because they are made from Kevlar (or was it Lexan? I can't remember) and titanium, respectively, since they would REALLY protect us from exploding discs.

Go with either drive - if you are afraid of being impaled by the shards of a shattered dvd, feel free to get the Plextor:p . If you want to save $50 and get an *almost* as good drive, get the LiteOn. I have the 411S, and am reasonably satisfied with it, despite the awfully slow burn speed. Also, can't the Plextor burn 8x on 4x media? I don't know if the LiteOn can...That may be something to look into.

Don't worry, the drive is painted now, looks much better :D

And yes, the Plextor will do 8X speeds with 4X media easily. I"ve tested and its freaking blazing fast on my Sony 4x + media.

newplex.jpg

Originally posted by Icewindius
Don't worry, the drive is painted now, looks much better :D

And yes, the Plextor will do 8X speeds with 4X media easily. I"ve tested and its freaking blazing fast on my Sony 4x + media.

newplex.jpg
Much better, although personally I would prefer all black - but I think you have like a blue theme on that case, don't you?

Back