Does the NEC Multisync PA271W have a built in scaler?

Ashok0

Limp Gawd
Anyone buy the new NEC Multisync PA271W? It looks like a potentially interesting competitor to the Apple LED Cinema 27" and the DELL U2711. That being said, none of the reviews I've seen have stated if it has an aggressive AG coating or a built in scaler to support an XBOX360 or Playstation 3?

I see that it supports most of the common resolutions in its menu, so I assume that it does have an internal scaler.

Not only does it have a scaler, it has probably the best scaler out there. Same deal as NEC's 90 series monitors. You can tell it to do simple things like 1:1 pixel mapping, aspect correct scaling, or stretch scaling and it does so and looks extremely good. However it will even all you to set up custom scaling options, if you like. These settings are stored per display mode, so you can change each one to your liking.

so if I buy a PA271W, it will have no issue gaming at full screen 16:9 720P from PS3 via HDMI to DVI? And will the cheaper on my wallet PA241W which is 16:10 (the Anti PS3 ratio, as the PS3 will not help you out, it's like 720p Games or 1080p Blu Ray, unlike an Xbox 360 which can output 16:10) scale the PS3 16:9 image to full screen with some black bars to preserve aspect Ratio?

Bothe the PA271W and PA241W can display content at a different apsect ratio to themselves with the correct aspect ratio and black bars to fill in the gaps. I have my PS3 plugged into a NEC 2690 which has the same scaling options and is 16:10. I can have the screen scale up the content keeping the aspect ratio correct and have black bars, stretch it so it fills the screen, have it displayed at 1:1 size and have black borders all the way around, or use custom scaling which I can set.

so if I buy a PA271W, it will have no issue gaming at full screen 16:9 720P from PS3 via HDMI to DVI? And will the cheaper on my wallet PA241W which is 16:10 (the Anti PS3 ratio, as the PS3 will not help you out, it's like 720p Games or 1080p Blu Ray, unlike an Xbox 360 which can output 16:10) scale the PS3 16:9 image to full screen with some black bars to preserve aspect Ratio?

Yes, and other things too. NEC hardware has the best scaler I've ever seen. It is extremely high quality, running lower rezes looks great, it can handle any sort of regular scaling (stretch, aspect or 1:1) and can be customized if need be. So you could take a 720x480 source, which uses rectangular pixels, and scale it properly to a 4:3 image.

Price you pay is a bit of input lag, 30ms or so, but that's all. It's scaling and colour processing are unmactched except maybe by Ezio.

I might just buy the 24" NEC PA then, save some money, and honestly, PC gaming at that high NEC 27" PA resolution, well, you need even more money in GPUs, if you want the native resolution gaming that is. I hear ya on how well it scales tho. Just the info I needed. Ah, but movies will look so much cooler on a 27"...

Back