Does the Link Aggregation on Dell PowerConnect 2816 and 2824 switch work correctly?

SonyWii

n00b
Some questions about the Dell PowerConnect 2816 and 2824 gigabit switch:

1. Does the Link Aggregation work correctly between two Dell 2800 series gigabit switch to provide connectivity, redundancy, and expanded bandwidth?

2. Can Link Aggregation be set up with multiple NICs between a server and Dell 2816 to provide increased total bandwidth, i.e. 2Gbps or 4Gbps?

1. Does the Link Aggregation work correctly between two Dell 2800 series gigabit switch to provide connectivity, redundancy, and expanded bandwidth?

Yes although between these two pretty low-end switches I don't see why you would want to do this.

2. Can Link Aggregation be set up with multiple NICs between a server and Dell 2816 to provide increased total bandwidth, i.e. 2Gbps or 4Gbps?

Provided your NICs support 802.3ad, yes but you're limited to 4 ports per LAG. Note that in most cases your bandwidth is not the limiting factor when accessing a server, so a 4 port LAG (4Gbps) won't noticeably increase your speed to the server from a 2 port LAG.

a 4 port LAG (4Gbps) won't noticeably increase your speed to the server from a 2 port LAG.

Even moreso if this is a home setting. LAG is only really useful when you have many simultaneous clients, which is rarely the case even in a computing-heavy home.

Link aggregation works just fine. I just wrapped up setting up two 2824 switches. I had the firmware updated and the switch properly configured within 15 minutes for each one. I haven't stress tested it, but I haven't seen any issues as of yet.

Back