Does the FGC Have a Favored Pocket Emulator

rennyf77

2[H]4U
looking for a portable emulator console primarily for fighting games. any suggestions?

GPD XD? Mine played everything up through N64 era...That’s the only portable console type device I can think of focused on emulation.

yeah familiar with the xd but i was looking specifically for one that fighting game people like. so the ability to play 3d isn't as important as the d-pad quality.

looking for a portable emulator console primarily for fighting games. any suggestions?

No, because the FGC is still really a stick based community and a pocket sized emulator packing a stick setup does not exist.

Emulation in the FGC is largely used for GGPO, you can get it here http://fightinggamesonline.info/ggpo/ . GGPO gets you online matches in emulated games and works on both OSX and Windows. "Portable" gaming as it exists is largely done on laptops with a stick attached, hand held emulators are virtually none existent in the FGC. For largely the same reasons fighting games on hand held systems failed. The people who do dabble in them do not play fighting games on them but rather use them for old school 8 and 16bit era single player games which are pretty popular in the community as well.

The only FGC community that has a non trivial amount of pad players is the Tekken community and they all only use Playstation pads as PS pads have been usable on Namco cabinets for some time now, but they aren't really into emulation. The people playing NES and SNES emulated games are largely on 8bitdo controllers

Probably not what you want. But fighting games on portable emulators is about as much of a fringe case as the Starcraft community using a portable emualtor for Starcraft 64.

There are tons of Street Fighter players rocking pads these days. Probably 75% of players under the age of 30. At least in the US, South America, and Europe. Asia still has an arcade scene even if it is aging. It's unusual for someone who didn't grow up in the arcade era to play with a stick.

I'd just look for something that can handle a 6 (or 8) button layout. What era and what type of fighting games are you looking for? There aren't a ton of catch all solutions that'll play both classic 90's games and modern choices like Tekken 5+, SF4+, MvC3, etc.

mainly 2d fighters. had a dingoo canoo a few years back. the d-pad was decent but the emulators available for that handheld at the time didn't seem to allow you to configure your button layout. it made cps2 games a bitch to play.

There are tons of Street Fighter players rocking pads these days. Probably 75% of players under the age of 30. At least in the US, South America, and Europe. Asia still has an arcade scene even if it is aging. It's unusual for someone who didn't grow up in the arcade era to play with a stick.

I'd just look for something that can handle a 6 (or 8) button layout. What era and what type of fighting games are you looking for? There aren't a ton of catch all solutions that'll play both classic 90's games and modern choices like Tekken 5+, SF4+, MvC3, etc.

As someone who goes to tournaments and regular local events this just isn't the case for anyone that is remotely good or even remotely part of the scene. Pads just aren't common outside of Tekken.

As someone who goes to tournaments and regular local events this just isn't the case for anyone that is remotely good or even remotely part of the scene. Pads just aren't common outside of Tekken.

Just look at the top American Street Fighter players. NuckleDu, Punk, CoolKid93, SnakeEyez, Wolfkrone, etc.
That doesn't include previous (also western) EVO *winners* like Luffy, MenaRD, and ProblemX.
The only players using fight sticks are old timers like Justin Wong, Alex Valle, and Ricki Ortiz.

Back