Does the DCS open beta allow anyone to fly any ship?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been craving DCS' fighter jet action, but can't afford "Flaming Cliffs 3" at the moment. I saw that there's an open DCS beta currently going on, however -- does this allow anyone to join and use the fighter modules, like the F15?

On the DCS site, the beta leads to links for the various modules, but they all have "Buy" next to them. I'm guessing this means the beta modules are only open to those who have already bought them?

You need to down load the DCS World game first. That is free and comes with the SU-25 and P51 trainers. You should be able to then download and install the Beta modules (Mi-8 and F15) and have limited access to those aircraft. Should be in the Download\Modules section.

That being said, you should have checked the site within the last couple of weeks, they had a 70% off sale on most of the modules. Flaming cliffs was $19.99.

No. You can only fly what you own. The base game is free, so you can download it and the beta (different install). With the game you get the Su-25T, a ground attack aircraft and the unarmed TF-51 trainer for free. The beta will allow you to test the latest build of the game. I doubt there are going to be much, if any other improvements for the Su-25T and TF-51 as those are essentially done. I would ignore the beta personally.

If you are new to flight simulators I would buy Flaming Ciffs 3 and avoid the other modules for the time being as they are significantly more complex. I would start learning with the F-15C as it is much more forgiving than the Su-25T.

Also note that Flaming Cliff aircraft are sold separate. These are the same, yet cost more. ~$35 for the A-10A, F-15C and Su-25A when you can get them all plus more for only $20 with Flaming Cliffs 3. Just buy this and you'll continue to receive updates for the Su-27, MiG-29 and possibly Su-33:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249320/

Also note that Flaming Cliff aircraft are sold separate. These are the same, yet cost more. ~$35 for the A-10A, F-15C and Su-25A when you can get them all plus more for only $20 with Flaming Cliffs 3. Just buy this and you'll continue to receive updates for the Su-27, MiG-29 and possibly Su-33:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249320/

So I dropped out of the flight sim scene around abouts the time FC2 was being developed - the choices were frustrating me, in that you could get a great dynamic campaign in a terribly graphically-dated (and limited aircraft selection) game in 'Falcon 4: Allied Force'...or a game with a good selection of aircraft, but incredibly scripted campaign.

How does FC3 compare to F4:AF, I guess is the question?

So I dropped out of the flight sim scene around abouts the time FC2 was being developed - the choices were frustrating me, in that you could get a great dynamic campaign in a terribly graphically-dated (and limited aircraft selection) game in 'Falcon 4: Allied Force'...or a game with a good selection of aircraft, but incredibly scripted campaign.

How does FC3 compare to F4:AF, I guess is the question?

I only played F4 BMS 4.32 (or something). I hardly got into it. But regarding DCS there currently is no dynamic campaign. If I recall correctly you can now randomize which units spawn to make a mission vary a little bit. Likewise, you can set different conditions/scripts to launch different missions. But It certainly isn't fully dynamic like Falcon.

I doubt we will ever see a game with such a campaign system ever again.

Back