Does the 9800GX2 have the 8pin PCIE power adapater included?

Don't think anyone really knows yet, but I really doubt it tbqh.

the theory i am running on is if my psu doesn't have an 8 pin pcie cable then it isn't good enough! I'm gonna have to buy a new one from my 9800gx2

the theory i am running on is if my psu doesn't have an 8 pin pcie cable then it isn't good enough! I'm gonna have to buy a new one from my 9800gx2

You can't be serious? HX620 can't run 9800GX2? HX620 can even run 8800GTX in SLI.

And to the others that said HX620 has the 8pin, the later build probably have them. I bought it when it just came out and there is no 8pin connection and I have to contact Corsair to have them send it to and god knows how long that will take since I'm not in the US.

You can't be serious? HX620 can't run 9800GX2? HX620 can even run 8800GTX in SLI.

Oo that sounds promising i was wondering if a 720w would be good enough, it obviously is. I will still need a new one as i only have a 400w psu atm!

dsc02422rw9.jpg

My PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad has one of them waiting to be used on a 9800GX2 next week - and both of them for a GT200 :). (pictured above with an 8800Ultra)

I have a Seasonic that can run 8800GT SLI without a problem so I'm quite sure it can handle a GX2. Is there a way to buy a 6-pin to 8-pin converter? Will this make it work?

I only have 2 6 pin ones. Sucks. I just got this PS with my new build. 650W Antec Trio. I had no clue about the 8 pin connectors until after I bought it.

My CM 650watt doesn't have any of these unfortunately =(. I'm hoping i could make some modifications to have one though...

Ok thats great eveyone is chiming in with how their wonderful PSU has the correct PCI-E connections... heres a cookie. OP just call corsair they will be glad to send you one for your PSU.

My 8800GTS came with a two Molex to 6pin PCI-E adapter...so it's possible they might come with an adapter of some sort...

Pictures I've seen of the card suggest that it has one six pin molex connector and one 8-pin.

Man that thing is going to eat power like crazy. I wonder what the recommended PSU rating they will give.

This has been OFFICIALY confirmed that it will need 8 + 6 so i really dunno what are you talking about.

He was probably think it will be like the ATI card where you only need the 8-pin if you are going to overclock. I can confirm that it has been confirmed that you will need a 6-pin AND and 8-pin.

On the question of the cable i have seen cables that convert 2 6-pin sockets to one 8-pin socket. They are relatively cheap maybe a couple of dollars or something so if you cannot get one from the psu co. then buying one would be a good option. I believe i read somewhere the card will use 137w or power but i highly doubt this claim from the nature of the card.

My first Corsair 620HX I bought a good few months back did not come with any 6+2 pin modular PCI-E cables either, but my second one (that I bought within the last month) did.

So the OP isn't going crazy, they probably added them in later revisions.

Call Corsair and I'm sure you'll get one or two.

My first Corsair 620HX I bought a good few months back did not come with any 6+2 pin modular PCI-E cables either, but my second one (that I bought within the last month) did.

So the OP isn't going crazy, they probably added them in later revisions.

Call Corsair and I'm sure you'll get one or two.

My Thermaltake ToughPower 1200w has the 8-pin connector and the Corsair HX520 I bought for my girlfriends gaming rig has them as well.

On the question of the cable i have seen cables that convert 2 6-pin sockets to one 8-pin socket.

So after that conversion I'll still need a 6pin connector. It's so gay that they mix these up. Why can't they stick with one or the other?

Yes the additional PCI-E power pins are more grounds. However there is one possible additional difference. The specs for a standard 6-pin just require the first and third pin to be +12v. Most of the time the second pin is +12v powered on a lot of power supplies. The 8-pin specs require the second pin to be powered along with the two additional ground.

I have an earlier revision of the Toughpower 850W that comes with 4 6-pin PCI-E power connectors, however each rail amp rating is the same between the 8-pin version and 6-pin. I got some of these for the PCI-E connectors on the 30A rails:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21721

They seem to work with no problems.

Here are the Pinouts for the connectors:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#pciexpress

I emailed Corsair on late Sunday evening and received a reply on Monday morning. The customer rep said he would mail me the cables immediately and I just received the cables. 2x 6+8 PCIE power cables. Now that is what I call an A+ service!

I can confirm the 1000W Toughpower CableManagement unit also has the 6 and 8 pin connectors needed for powering a GX2... :cool:

They are black wires in the pics. That's weird. Why would they do that?

Yes the additional PCI-E power pins are more grounds. However there is one possible additional difference. The specs for a standard 6-pin just require the first and third pin to be +12v. Most of the time the second pin is +12v powered on a lot of power supplies. The 8-pin specs require the second pin to be powered along with the two additional ground.

The way it's SUPPOSED TO BE is four ground, three +12V and one +12V sense at the end of the +12V row.

What's SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN is the +12V sense tells the PSU if the +12V drops out of spec, it can do some compensation.

This function adds cost. Also, nobody is making an ATX12V or EPS12V PSU with a dedicated +12V rail. All PSU's these days have the PCIe connectors on their own VIRTUAL rail. What does that mean to us? Well, if they implemented a +12V sense that could juice up the +12V if it detected a drop at the PCIe connector, you would end up juicing up the +12V at virtually ALL of the connectors. THAT is not good. So EVERYONE is just implementing an extra ground to "fool" the graphics card into thinking there is a +12V sense wire present.

Yes, and the adapter is also sold separately here: http://www.bfgstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PCIXPRESPWREXT

I'm confused now.

I've seen 8-pin adaptors that have one or two 6-pin connectors.

Why? Do you really need two?

Why did they even put an 8-pin connector on the card anyway?

I'm confused now.

I've seen 8-pin adaptors that have one or two 6-pin connectors.

Why? Do you really need two?

Why did they even put an 8-pin connector on the card anyway?

They do that to ensure that whatever rail(s) the PCIe connectors are on can support the current the 8-pin is capable of.

It's highly unlikely that you would overload a PCIe connector's rail if you converted it to an 8-pin, BUT if you were to split that load across two 6-pin PCIe connectors, it would be impossible to unload the rail(s).

Wow all this talk about insane amounts of watts, does anyone care about noise and heat issue :)

Back