Does the 570 chipset fan make noise?

narsbars

[H]ard|Gawd
I would like some input from owners of different MBs.
Does the little onboard fan make noise and when and how much?

I have an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero. As with all builds for me it starts out on the benchtop and stress tested before installing in a case. I can say the chipset fan could barely be heard over other noises even during 100% loads. Very quiet compared to days of old when Nvidia chipset motherboards were in vouge. I can't vouch for other boards but the Asus implementation is nothing to be concerned about.

Midvalley

n00b
X570 Aorus Elite, I set the fan curve to silent and as far as I can tell it doesn't even spin. Temps never seem to get to above mid-high 50s c on the chipset, and the danger zone for those is 90-100 c I believe.

I've heard that it's there since there's no thermal throttling support in the silicon, to prevent burn-up in run-away scenarios. Not really required to run 99% of the time.

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
I would like some input from owners of different MBs.
Does the little onboard fan make noise and when and how much?
by default it's set to run between 30-50% depending on the manufacture, all of them have implemented silent mode options which can be turned on in bios. not sure what the threshold is for the different manufactures but gigabytes is 70C before it'll go to 30% which you'll never hit unless you put a hair dryer directly on it.

atp1916

[H]ard|DCoTM x1
When it's on, it's very very very annoying.

Aorus Ulta has same setting as the above mentioned Elite with Silent, thank goodness.

HAL_404

Gawd
I wonder how all the other many, many motherboards that don't have a chipset fan manage to keep on keeping on year after year :barefoot:

Spartacus

[H]ard|Gawd
I wonder how all the other many, many motherboards that don't have a chipset fan manage to keep on keeping on year after year :barefoot:
Some of us have had many mobos with chipset fans going back many years.

Those small fans can sound like an angry bee and can get much worse as the bearings fail.
It is a valid concern.

Midvalley

n00b
AMD's fault on this one since they designed X570 in-house, and the consensus seems to be that it won't temperature throttle in some edge-cases. ASMedia is doing the next, so who knows if it'll be necessary for that one.

Jamie Marsala

Limp Gawd
Mine does not come on until the chipset is around 60C. I do see once in a while during extreme use it may start spinning, have to look at HWInfo64 to see that it did, but I never hear it. I can hear it on power on since it does a full blast test cycle but after that without checking HWInfo64 or getting down to PC lever with a flashlight I never know it is running or has run. MSI X570 MEG Ace here.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Those small fans can sound like an angry bee and can get much worse as the bearings fail.
It is a valid concern
that's been my main concern...not the noise level but the shelf life of the fan...my current motherboard is 10 years old...can I realistically expect an X570 board chipset fan to last that long (extreme example)

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
I've tested numerous X570 boards with these chipset fans. They are annoying when the system first powers on, but most of the time you won't hear the fans as they won't kick on until the PCH temperature is fairly high. Even at 50c-60c you still won't typically hear them.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Case airflow and ambient temperatures are a factor also. Even though I set the chipset fan (x570 Aorus Ultra) to use the most aggressive profile possible, I almost never hear it. I usually have pretty low ambient temperatures though, along with a lot of case airflow over the chipset heatsink.

Starfalcon

Limp Gawd
The one on my MSI creation board only runs at boot then shuts off, never have seen it run outside boot.

Spartacus

[H]ard|Gawd
I just setup a new MSI X570 Tomahawk and the fan was annoying to me.

A couple of things though..... I have the tower right behind the monitor on my desk, so it's close to me.
The other thing is that not only could I hear the fan, it kept changing speed which made it far worse.

I tried the Silent Mode, but it did not improve much. Then I switched it to Manual Mode and set the speed
to be the same for the first two levels and moved the temp trigger a little higher.

So now instead of the constantly changing speed and sound pitch, it stays at a slower but constant speed
for the first two temp levels. Then if the chipset temp starts getting really hot, the slope on the fan speed
goes full tilt vertical to maximum speed. Way better on the sound now and it still has plenty of cooling.

ETA: I still have some concern on how long that small fan will last. I think I still have some replacement
after market chipset fans in my junk box from the old DFI days though. lol