Does the 3TB WD My Book Essential External Drive contain a 3TB WD Caviar Green Drive?

RandysWay

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anybody know if the 3TB WD My Book Essential External Drive (WDBACW0030HBK-NESN) contains a single 3TB WD Caviar Green Internal Drive (such as the WD30EZRSDTL), or if it contains a different/cheaper drive? If it's a different/cheaper drive, what's the differences? I'm assuming that the external cases simply include an internal SATA drive with a SATA > USB bridge. Considering that the external drives are priced at $180/ea and the internal drives are priced at $230/ea, if it contains the same drive then I'll simply crack open the external drive cases.

I don't care about voiding the warranties when I crack them open. ;) I'm starting to have issues with my two 1.5TB Seagate internal storage drives so I'll need to pick up a few new drives before I experience any data loss.

Thanks!

-R

The 7200 RPM Seagate GoFlex might be a better option. They sell both the USB case version and the naked drive on Newegg.

I would expect it to be the WDC 3TB green. You will loose the 1 year warranty on the drive however from opening the case.

Back