Does the 1000D really not support 2x140 exhaust fans?

Got mine the other day and went to install a pair of 140mm exhaust fans. The case has two sets of 140mm mount holes back there so I figured it would be trivial. When I tried putting in the second, I was surprised to see it didn’t fit. Looks like the exhaust fan area is about 3mm too short for this.

Am I missing something here? Or does this gigantic case really not fit these fans?

hmmm got any other fans to try just to compare. wonder if the housing of the MLs is thicker. have you tried loosening the screws and pushing it up or down to make room?

I don't have any other 140s to measure, but the ML120s I have are within half a mm of my 120mm Vardars.

I just measured the case. Looks like the issue is that there's only 275mm of space between the kickout for the PCI slots and the non-adjustable mount for the top radiator rails.

I don't have any other 140s to measure, but the ML120s I have are within half a mm of my 120mm Vardars.

I just measured the case. Looks like the issue is that there's only 275mm of space between the kickout for the PCI slots and the non-adjustable mount for the top radiator rails.
huh. get [H]ard and mod it?

Take the faces of the fans that touch, and hit them with some 300 grit sand paper till they fit.

Tape the sand paper to a flat surface and rub the fans across it, that way they wear evenly.

Maybe some good feedback for Corsair. That big ass case and it doesn't fit 2 140's

The other solution...if you don't want to sand the fans, is to Dremel the slots on the case and make them longer.

Maybe some good feedback for Corsair. That big ass case and it doesn't fit 2 140's

The other solution...if you don't want to sand the fans, is to Dremel the slots on the case and make them longer.
yeah he should def let them know their top end case doesnt fit two of their top end fans.
and that's all I meant with the mod bit, just file the holes a bit.

huh. so how did they get them in there then? linus' vid(in the suggestions) shows 2x140mm too.

I don't know the backstory, but if you take a close zoom (enhance!) at Linus' video, you can see that he's actually running dual 120s in the back rather than the 140s he mentions. If you zoom in, you can see that the fans are on the inner slots, ergo they're only 120s.

linuscorsair.png

Last edited:

If the issue were simply that the slots weren't long enough, I'd be pretty annoyed but I'd fix it. The limiter here is the amount of space between the kickout for the PCI cards and the mount for the top radiator sliders.

Apologies for the crude measurement method. I've verified the first 200mm via calibrated calipers. The rails hang down 2mm so they could be adjusted up, but the metal mount itself is still 3mm too low after that.
corsairsad.jpg IMG_1359.jpg

Yeah. I'm not really good at details when my impulse buy instincts take over :)

There was a bunch of coverage stating dual 140s fit (including Corsair's own youtube video) and the screw slots in the case have plenty of space for dual 140s, so I just went ahead and bought a 2-pack of 140s for it. I don't mean to make this a rant thread, I just wanted to make triply sure that I wasn't missing something obvious since I tend to do that.

I think what I'll do is mount the 240mm CPU rad back there and use it as the exhaust. Doing dual 480mm up front, so that should make for a nice straight through flow path.

Sorry. Not intending to postcount++, but after a closer look at Linus' video, I'm also not sure how he mounted the aft (blue circuit) pump & res. It seems to be floating above the spinny drive cage, but the real life production version of the case doesn't have any mounts available there. The space is occupied by cutouts for cable routing.

Sorry. Not intending to postcount++, but after a closer look at Linus' video, I'm also not sure how he mounted the aft (blue circuit) pump & res. It seems to be floating above the spinny drive cage, but the real life production version of the case doesn't have any mounts available there. The space is occupied by cutouts for cable routing.
theres probably a shelf mount or something attached to the mobo tray.

I recommend sanding the fan like AngeloBJ said instead of dremeling the case because you don't have to disassemble your rig to sand the fans. you should disassemble your rig before dremeling stuff on the case and then make sure there are no particulate pieces of metal or plastic left behind before reassembly.

I recommend sanding the fan like AngeloBJ said instead of dremeling the case because you don't have to disassemble your rig to sand the fans. you should disassemble your rig before dremeling stuff on the case and then make sure there are no particulate pieces of metal or plastic left behind before reassembly.

Ya after seeing your measurement (Ruler Pic) This might be your best option. You only have to take 3-4mm off 2mm from each fan.

Your redesign will work too, I just personally don't like using exhaust air for radiators.

Ya after seeing your measurement (Ruler Pic) This might be your best option. You only have to take 3-4mm off 2mm from each fan.

Your redesign will work too, I just personally don't like using exhaust air for radiators.

I'm not a big fan (ha!) of using radiators for exhausts either. This machine is built to just be a CUDA cruncher though, so the CPU is mostly going to be sitting at 20% load.

I think you're onto something though. If I need to make 5mm of space appear, then taking 1.25mm off of each face from the two fans will get me there. I think I still have access to a Bridgeport, so I'll try doing it on there.

I'm not a big fan (ha!) of using radiators for exhausts either. This machine is built to just be a CUDA cruncher though, so the CPU is mostly going to be sitting at 20% load.

I think you're onto something though. If I need to make 5mm of space appear, then taking 1.25mm off of each face from the two fans will get me there. I think I still have access to a Bridgeport, so I'll try doing it on there.

I see what you did there!

Good luck!

Take a pic when you get her all mocked up!

Small update: I can confirm that Corsair’s own 240mm radiator does not fit in the 240mm radiator location shown on Corsair’s website.

WTF, Corsair? This case is supposed to be a flagship, not a crappy ill-fitting knockoff of a good company’s product.

Fixed it!

I used a Bridgeport to mill 3mm off of each fan (1.5mm per side) and then I enlarged the mounting holes on the top radiator slide by 2mm so I could nudge it just a tiny bit higher (1mm) since it hung below the little kick in the plate it mounts to. Now, finally, the case can handle the dual 140mm exhaust fans that Corsair (and the sponsored bloggers like Linus) originally claimed it could.

That was easy.

IMG_1530.jpg IMG_1529.jpg

Last edited:
Back