Does stuttering problem occur in any NVIDIA cards other than the GTX 460's ?

Cretin

Weaksauce
I need to upgrade graphic card ASAP (Budget of no more than $300).
I had to cannibalize mine for use in my kids machine.

I have typically used NVIDIA cards in the past and was going to get a GTX 460, but ....

I have a socket 775 setup (P45 Chipset, Q9550 mildly overclocked at 3.4 GHz)
and read about the stuttering problems with GTX 460 and socket 775.

Is this present in any other current NVIDIA cards?

Thanks

Usually 'stuttering' problems with a graphics card is an Un-stable or overheating overclock. Even factory OC cards can have this problem. (I recently had this issue with a 285GTX)

What stuttering ?
This.

What stuttering? I've had a GTX 460 for months and never saw or even heard of such a problem.

I agree that in general it could be caused by an unstable overclock, or even other system problems.

Ok, thanks guys.
I may just pick up a GTX 460 or 470 locally tonight then.

It wont be as cheap as the Egg, but there's something
to be said about "instant gratification"

Mmmm, sweet, sweet instant gratification.

The stuttering I've heard of with 460s are sometimes with the 768Mb variety if they run out of ram or get close to their memory max with large textures/high levels of AA. Most often that only applies @ 2560x and sometimes @ 1920x, depending on the title.

is everybody in this thread really that clueless? the OP is referring to latency issues that some 775 boards have with 460 cards.

The DPC issues with the 460 on the 775 are well publicized, don't know where the 'what stuttering' comments are coming from.

OP, only the 460 suffers the issue, anything higher or lower end will be fine. My recommendation would be a 470 as they are going for around $200 after rebate.

The DPC issues with the 460 on the 775 are well publicized, don't know where the 'what stuttering' comments are coming from.

OP, only the 460 suffers the issue, anything higher or lower end will be fine. My recommendation would be a 470 as they are going for around $200 after rebate.
yeah the responses in this thread had me scratching my head.

when I used a 470 it stuttered and hitched pretty badly in BC 2 where my gtx260 ran it perfectly smooth. when I forced it to run DX10, it ran the same as on my gtx260. it may have just been an issue with BC 2 since I recall some people not being able to get decent gpu usage in that game with Fermi cards.

Hmm. I had a GTX 460 that I purchased before I knew about the DPC issue and the hitching was very noticable and annoying playing Black Ops with my sig rig(even after patches). I put my GTX 280 back in the the game ran rock solid at 60fps. I then picked up my 470 ridiculously cheap on black friday and that has provided the upgrade I was looking for. I can max out AA and never ever dip below 60fps at 1900*1200. Add in the fact it overclocks by 33% to be faster than a 570 and they are a damn good buy right now.

I wish somebody would get down to the bottom of this issue. I would like to what it is about the 460 that can cause latency issues on some 775 boards.

Well given that its been known since August and is still a problem with the newest drivers, I am guessing there is something with the architecture that they can't fix with just a driver update.

I had the hitching on a P45 board which is supposed to be much better with it than the rest of the intel 775 chipsets, I can't imagine how bad it is on older boards.

Ok, so maybe it's not just me :) I get a lot of stuttering in Fallout NV, and it drives me batty. I had myself convinced it was in my head.

is everybody in this thread really that clueless? the OP is referring to latency issues that some 775 boards have with 460 cards.

How about some or a lot of us don't run 775 boards so would not know of "the issue " :rolleyes:

How about some or a lot of us don't run 775 boards so would not know of "the issue " :rolleyes:
the point was that many of the people replying here are regular posters and this issue has been mentioned numerous times.

Ok, so maybe it's not just me :) I get a lot of stuttering in Fallout NV, and it drives me batty. I had myself convinced it was in my head.

That game and FO3 are just stutterers. Turning down water reflections to medium seems to have helped a good amount for me in FO3 but both games have issues.

I have a 768mb 460GTX in my HTPC on a Gigabyte P31 chipset with a q8300 stock and 4Gb of 800Mhz ram.. I only have 2 games on that machine but have noticed a paused effect with Mafia II so there is something to it..

The only bad things about the 470GTX vs 460GTX is the size of card/power draw/alot of heat... for the money i think a HD6850 /6870 is a better choice..

Since I am using the 775 chipset it was the DPC Latency issue and reports of stuttering that made me decide after months of looking at the GTX 460 to not get it. I bought a GTX 470.

So far with the GTX 470 after one week of use I am happy with it. I have the stock EVGA 470 and I am still shocked at how cool it runs. On average with idle, Folding and gaming temps it runs 10c cooler than my EVGA GTX 260 FTW while at a lower fan speed. As for gaming and stuttering, the games I have tested so far were Fallout 3, Battlestations Pacific, World in Conflict, and Crysis and Crysis Warhead. In the Crysis games I get stuttering every few seconds even when I have 50fps (I am thinking that is a driver issue). All the other games run smoothly. I have run the DPC Latency checker and no problems. I still need to check my power usage at the wall with the 470. I have done so with the highly overclocked 260, I just need to borrow the killo watt meter (or whatever it is called) from my boss to compare the two. I am guessing I am getting a lot more performance from my 470 for the same or slightly more power consumption (65nm card vs 40nm so that makes sense). Anybody that tells you the recent 470's run hot are probably basing that on the initial reviews. All I can say is that if the 470 runs so darn hot, then I am surprised that my 260 never burst into flames by now since it runs much warmer. Actually, my temps for the 470 fall smack dab in the middle of the 260 FTW and my old 8600gts.

I should add my experience with the GTX 460. A buddy at work wanted to upgrade his gpu. He has an HP pre built with 8gb of ram and a q8300. Because of his cpu, smaller case that he didn't want to switch out and airflow with that case, I said he should probably get the GTX 460 due to it's smaller size and it runs pretty cool. He got the EVGA GTX 460 EE with a Corsair 650tx psu.

I was very dissapointed with the build quality of the 460. Yes it was smaller and very light for a card of that size, it also felt very flimsy and cheap. We installed it with no problems. At 30% fan speed at idle it was around 30c which I thought was really good. I ran the DPC Latency checker and it was popping up red bars left and right. Fortunately I figured it out early: as soon as I disabled his wireless nic he stopped getting DPC latency spikes. Also fortunate was that he didn't use the wireless nic on his pc. We installed the gpu and psu on Tues, I haven't gotten a chance to talk to him regarding gaming performance.

Based on my experience so far with the 460 and 470, taking everything into consideration, I am really glad I went for the 470.

Last edited:
for what its worth it has been many months since I have played BC 2 but I just fired it up again and I am now using 260.99 drivers. the game feels stuttery and laggy even though the framerate is very good. even at 60+ fps the game does not feel smooth at all. this was not a problem months ago when I originally played it with different drivers.

Great feedback Leh. I had a similar experience, going from a GTX 280 to a 460 felt like a downgrade in terms of performance and the actual card quality. Moving to a GTX 470 felt like a proper upgrade. From now on I am just going to stick to some variant of the top tier chip.

Great feedback Leh. I had a similar experience, going from a GTX 280 to a 460 felt like a downgrade in terms of performance and the actual card quality. Moving to a GTX 470 felt like a proper upgrade. From now on I am just going to stick to some variant of the top tier chip.
well to be fair a gtx460 is hardly an upgrade at all to a gtx280 and the gtx280 is actually faster in some games. overall its only about a 5-10% improvement over a gtx280. even a gtx470 is only a pretty puny 20-25% upgrade over a gtx280.

Back