Does rooting Samsung S5 remove the shitty swipe to answer performance?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Now that I have had the S5 for a few weeks I am not at all impressed with this phone. I am stuck with it for close to a year so it is what it is.

One of the major annoyances is that it's impossible to swipe to answer a call unless one hammers the display like a maniac to get the phone to recognize that YES I WANT TO ANSWER THE FUCKING CALL, jesus fuck, seriously. Half the time it doesn't recognize that you tap the green phone and try to swipe. Touchwiz crap.

Rooting the phone will result in a different UI to answer a call, yes? Or is that part just somehow inherent to the hardware?

Picked this up from Google Group help.

...f you have the S5, you can answer your calls in three different ways:

You can answer with the Power button, the home key or slide just above the
home key to the right to answer the calls.

You will have to set up either the home key or the power key to perform this
action.

Edit. Just tried this on my Note 3. Settings>Device>Call Home key works great.

Last edited:
Probably would have been better off with that M8, eh? :p

Glad I got a good replacement without the glass sticking out from the bezel.

Rooting an android phone just lets the user have admin level access, it doesn't automatically alter performance.

Too late to return for anything else? Depending on credit card, you might have an extended return period.

Aren't you suppose to be able to just hold it to your head to answer the call?

There should be a way to change the dialer without root because I use Groove IP for VOIP and that's the dialer it shows on incoming calls.

Rooting would allow for the add it on of the Google dialer which has a different way too answer calls.

lol damn I thought I was the only one. I agree with OP, it's annoying to answer the phone by swiping to the right when most of the time doesnt recognized your touch. I'm missed some phone calls due to this issue. Wish they would patch that to be more sensitive.

Settings> display at the bottom should be a box to check that adjusts the sensitivity automatically so you can use gloves on the screen at least my note 3 has that feature.

Settings> display at the bottom should be a box to check that adjusts the sensitivity automatically so you can use gloves on the screen at least my note 3 has that feature.

I believe I have that option too, but I thought only works when you're wearing some kind of gloves. I'll try it later. TY

The decrease in sensitivity appears to only be on the dialer screen when trying to answer a call.
I have the same issue.

Sensitivity is absolutely great everywhere except when trying to answer a call with the swipe.

Last edited:
I think it is intended to prevent accidental hang ups, but it sure can get annoying.

Think you have to press and slide but there are other ways to answer a call such as home button:

s5_answering_ending_calls-1024x870.jpeg

Oh wow and I thought it was just me. ^ that's helpful though, although I'll probably look like a dork Using Voice Commands.

Now that I have had the S5 for a few weeks I am not at all impressed with this phone. I am stuck with it for close to a year so it is what it is.

One of the major annoyances is that it's impossible to swipe to answer a call unless one hammers the display like a maniac to get the phone to recognize that YES I WANT TO ANSWER THE FUCKING CALL, jesus fuck, seriously. Half the time it doesn't recognize that you tap the green phone and try to swipe. Touchwiz crap.

Rooting the phone will result in a different UI to answer a call, yes? Or is that part just somehow inherent to the hardware?

First, you need a serious chill pill. You mad bro?

Second, yes different ROMs can provide much better performance, a different UI, and additional features.

Back