Does outlook 365 uses its own incoming / outgoing servers if you have your own domain?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
when I do a google search, I got this:

What is the correct server setting for Microsoft 365?

What are the Office 365 server settings?
  1. Server name: smtp.office365.com.
  2. Port: 587.
  3. Encryption method: SSL/TLS.
  4. SMTP authentication: ticked.
  5. Authentication: your password.
so how exactly does it work? say, the client has their own domain, for e.g., johndoecompany.com

and he pays for office 365 that comes w/ outlook 365, and he setup his email for e.g.,

[email protected] w/ Outlook 365

in that case, what is his incoming / outgoing server? is he using Microsoft exchange server and outlook does everything for him?

further, w/ most domain, you can check your email online, for e.g.,

mail.johndoecompany.com

can you do the same if you setup your email w/ outlook 365?

Yes it does send from office servers mail.office365.com / smtp.office365
No you cant check from mail.domain.com you check webmail by logging into office.com live.com login.microsoftonline.com etc. The email service and servers are provided by office 36t and your domain lins to tjis via mx and spf records

Last edited:
Thos can bary slightly depending on the seller of the office365. For example office365 email through godaddy has its own login for webmail or at least a redirect, but sending and recieving servers are still office366

I don't understand how does that work exactly?

when an individual has an email addr., for eg., say I have [email protected], and I paid Office 365, So my outlook 365 email addr. would obviously be [email protected] and microsoft exchange server does my send / receive.

but if I own a company domain, say johndoecompany.com, how exactly does Microsoft outlook 365 do the send / receive when I am the owner of that domain? Normally, domain has their own mail server. And you login to mail.johndoecompany.com and check your own email on the web

when an individual has an email addr., for eg., say I have [email protected], and I paid Office 365, So my outlook 365 email addr. would obviously be [email protected] and microsoft exchange server does my send / receive.

but if I own a company domain, say johndoecompany.com, how exactly does Microsoft outlook 365 do the send / receive when I am the owner of that domain? Normally, domain has their own mail server. And you login to mail.johndoecompany.com and check your own email on the web

Office 365 will have a way for you to verify your domain - it'll likely give you a TXT record to add to your DNS.

Once verified, it'll give you a few more records, like the MX record and record for SPF. You probably want to set up DKIM and DMARC after.

what everyone else has said plus ill add that to get to the webmail quickest go to outlook.com, and most email apps auto-config the server settings if you give it your email address, or at most click and "ms exchange" button/box. with outlook you just sign in.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/setup/add-domain?view=o365-worldwide

Yes, I have a domain setup (ex: john.com) with ionos.com, have several mailboxes (pop/smtp) for some service accounts ([email protected]) and customers emails ([email protected])
I have o365 for myself and the wife using John.com ([email protected], [email protected])
I had to add some txt and other records to ionos.com account settings for o365 to work, but it was simple. I can still create other accounts and use pop/smtp direct from ionos and not through o365
I think your trying to do similar ?

I use Outlook 365 and I use the servers provided by my email hosting provider. I just setup the pop and smtp settings for the accounts manually.

Last edited:
Back