Does OpenIndiana support new Supermicro X9 Socket 2011 Xeon boards?

Runevitki

n00b
I am looking to build an ZFS based nas (likely using OpenIndiana) and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was support for the new socket 2011 X9 boards from Supermicro?

Boards like the X9SRi-3F for example? I'm partial to Supermicro boards, and I'd like to go with a board that I can get a decent amount of ram into vs the X8 Socket 1156 boards which max out at 32GB of ram.

I'm looking to configure it so I could do straight up OI, not using an ESXI all-in-one setup (but I'd like to configure one that leaves that option open).

Anyone have experience with these new socket 2011 boards and OpenIndiana?

the 602 sata ports are just EHCI so those work but the c606 driver for the SAS that some of the boards have, as i understand it, are at best being beta tested internally.

i want to say the 4.0 version of nexenta will officially support the c606 as well as other fun stuff like inifiniband but don't quote me on any of that and don't presume it official till nexenta (by proxy, illumos/OI/etc) announces it.

really want to see support for the PCI-E 3.0 12gbps SAS HBAs from lsi too. for that matter would like to see these HBAs actually released i can't find them anywhere even though that announcement was a few months ago now.

I was mainly fishing to see if anyone actually had one of these boards and could actually comment on them in relation to OpenIndiana/Solaris. A quick google search doesn't reveal much except a IRC log from March on the OpenIndiana IRC channel where someone states the X9SRI is their new fav board.

I did see some indications that the I350 nic's were "supported" in such that you can get them to work, but that support might not be out of the box.

None of this stuff is on the OI HCL...

I am looking to build an ZFS based nas (likely using OpenIndiana) and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was support for the new socket 2011 X9 boards from Supermicro?

Boards like the X9SRi-3F for example? I'm partial to Supermicro boards, and I'd like to go with a board that I can get a decent amount of ram into vs the X8 Socket 1156 boards which max out at 32GB of ram.

I'm looking to configure it so I could do straight up OI, not using an ESXI all-in-one setup (but I'd like to configure one that leaves that option open).

Anyone have experience with these new socket 2011 boards and OpenIndiana?

On the supermicro site there is a list of compatible operating systems:.

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/os/c600_listing1.cfm

Solaris 11 is supported.

Back