Does older Corsair 800D need a Sata 6Gbps back plate?

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a three year old Corsair Obsidian 800D. Just browsing online, I saw a kit that corsair sells in order to convert the hot-swappable backplate to Sata 6Gpbs.

Now here's the question. According to my understanding the connectors on the 800D are just pass-through components. There is no chip attached to any of the PCBs, so why would Corsair make such a back plate and market it as a 6 Gbps upgrade kit?

Has any one of you guys experienced throttling of your SSD speeds after you connected the drives to the old Sata 2 hot swap bays?

i would assume the new back-plane is certified 6gb. sata cables have changed very slightly over the generations and *MAY* not always be able to carry the most current speed. out of the bag of like 100 cables that i have collected. only about twice have i had to change out cables because they would not work with the newer standard though. also the sata backplane i have in my rack chassis is original sata (not even sata revision 1) and it works fine with 3gb connections. i wont know about 6gb until i try it, but yes, it *SHOULD* work.

or maybe they are just trying to milk the customer out of some extra $. no company in history has ever tried to do that before.

It exists because people will buy it. Since there are no components on that board, it's essentially just a wire and will perform no differently from any other one.

I see. Since I just bought an LSI 6 Gbps card, I was wondering it was worth changing the back plate. From the looks of it, an update would be a waste of money and time.

I have one of said older 800D's and had to upgrade the backplane to support 6Gbps, I can't remember if without it, it was just slow, or didn't work at all. I definitely didn't buy the backplane before testing the SSD and actually had to look up the problem and solution of the new backplane. Lets face it they wouldn't have designed a new one for the new 800D's if the old one worked just fine.

Back