Does Nvidia Shield support SMB to stream video?

My Boxee is on its last legs so I'm looking for a replacement. The way I have it set up now is accessing my NAS via SMB to stream shows directly to my TV, no transcoders required. Can Shield do this?

Google seams to indicate that yes it does.

From Plex:

Connecting to a Network Location (SMB)
If you have a NAS (network attached storage) device, a hard drive connected to your router, folders from your computer shared on the network or other storage locations available across your local network, you can connect to those from the NVIDIA SHIELD. That way, you'll be able to make use of media stored in those network locations for your Plex Media Server.

The SHIELD makes use of the "SMB" protocol to connect to network locations, so you will want to ensure that your network device supports that (nearly all do).

You may need to configure a username and password on your NAS or network share to access it across a network. Please consult your NAS or other device's documentation for details and to ensure access privileges are properly setup.

1. Open the NVIDIA SHIELD device Settings.
  2. Choose Storage & reset then Network Storage.
  3. Under Available Network Storage, select your device and then choose Connect as a registered user.
  4. Enter the username and password for the network location.
  5. You can now verify that the location was mounted successfully: 1 mounted will appear under Network Storage in the list. You can select that for details.
The network location is now available for use with libraries on your Plex Media Server. See below for details.

Cool, thanks! I wonder if it's possbile to stream without Plex? I love how the Boxee does it, just add the shared folders to favourites and away you go.

Edit: It seems Kodi will work.

Last edited:
There are a couple of ways to do it but Kodi is probably the easiest. Isn't much the shield can't do.

There are a couple of ways to do it but Kodi is probably the easiest. Isn't much the shield can't do.

Pretty much this...I have an Nvidia Shield running Kodi, and stream everything from my NAS over SMB.

Back