Does my new 144Hz monitor INCREASE my FPS?

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought an ASUS MG248Q (1080p) monitor, and when I enabled the 144Hz in Win10, and launched COD Infinite Warfare, I noticed that I am running at 90FPS with my GTX 1070 Founder's Edition. (I am using DisplayPort cable)

The ASUS MG248Q (1080p) is a TN panel with 1ms response time, and FreeSync (which I can't obviously use with my GTX 1070)

This is my first time using a faster than 60Hz monitor, so I am VERY please with the increase in speed, both in games and normal Windows operations.

Some Questions:

1) Does this mean that I am NOT reaching the max 144Hz speed when I only see 90 FPS in games?

2) What other adjustments do I need to make (both in Windows and nVIDIA control panel) to use all of the features of this monitor?

3) How would I know if am truly utilizing 144Hz in gaming modes? (Is there a utility that shows the current, on-the-fly refresh rate of monitors? I am using MSI AfterBuner for diaplying my FPS count on screen)

I am a bit uncertain about this.

Many thanks in advance!

to recap:
Win10 x64
GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
ASUS MG248Q (1080p)
Using a DisplayPort 1.2 cable

Last edited:
no, it doesn't increase your fps. you can only see as many frames as your monitor can draw; your monitor is 144 Hz, so it can draw up to but no more than 144 fps. yes, you are missing 54 extra frames per second your monitor could potentially display by playing a game at 90 fps. iirc there's nothing you can do about that, most cod games after mw2 (all maybe?) are capped at 90 fps in multiplayer.

it should be immediately noticeable if the game uses a hardware cursor whether the game is running at 144 Hz or not, otherwise you should be able to easily tell in-game if it is or isn't.

There is a utility that comes with these monitor, and its called the ASUS DisplayWidget, but I have not been able to run it at all. Some other users are experiencing the same issue:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236722

"I can't get the driver software to start (ASUS Display Widget). After contacting customer support and talking with other MG248Q owners who have the same problems on LTT Forums, no one was able to find a solution! The software simply won't start! On top of that, one of the reasons I payed for this monitor was because of the 144Hz Advertised Refresh Rate. Yet after I fiddled with the thing for forever it still won't work. I've tried all my HDMI and DP cables, which are all up to date on the latest 144Hz standard! I've fiddled with my GPU properties in Windows (GTX1070), showing that the monitor can't support that high of a refresh rate. I've fiddled with the monitor properties which are utterly basic and don't even allow you to change Refresh Rate. So if anyone's out there, either help me or don't buy this monitor! *Mic Drop*"

if the game uses a hardware cursor whether the game is running at 144 Hz or not

Can you explain this?

There is a utility that comes with these monitor, and its called the ASUS DisplayWidget, but I have not been able to run it at all. Some other users are experiencing the same issue:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236722

"I can't get the driver software to start (ASUS Display Widget). After contacting customer support and talking with other MG248Q owners who have the same problems on LTT Forums, no one was able to find a solution! The software simply won't start! On top of that, one of the reasons I payed for this monitor was because of the 144Hz Advertised Refresh Rate. Yet after I fiddled with the thing for forever it still won't work. I've tried all my HDMI and DP cables, which are all up to date on the latest 144Hz standard! I've fiddled with my GPU properties in Windows (GTX1070), showing that the monitor can't support that high of a refresh rate. I've fiddled with the monitor properties which are utterly basic and don't even allow you to change Refresh Rate. So if anyone's out there, either help me or don't buy this monitor! *Mic Drop*"

Can you explain this?
there's no reason to use that software. what i meant by hardware cursor is that some games have a software cursor which relies on the game's framerate to be smooth. with a hardware cursor, the GPU draws it and the game has no bearing on it at all, it will be smooth even if the game is running at a low framerate.

the difference between 120/144 Hz and 60 Hz which some games will default to is so massive that you shouldn't need any tools to tell the difference. if you want to see if a game supports high framerate or not, for making a purchase decision or something, pcgamingwiki is a great resource.

there's no reason to use that software. what i meant by hardware cursor is that some games have a software cursor which relies on the game's framerate to be smooth. with a hardware cursor, the GPU draws it and the game has no bearing on it at all, it will be smooth even if the game is running at a low framerate.

the difference between 120/144 Hz and 60 Hz which some games will default to is so massive that you shouldn't need any tools to tell the difference. if you want to see if a game supports high framerate or not, for making a purchase decision or something, pcgamingwiki is a great resource.

As stated originally, I indeed detect a VERY noticeable difference between 60Hz in gaming (and Windows), what I needed to know is how come I can get only 90FPS in one single game (I have to test others), and also *how* to tell if I am running at 144Hz or not.

As stated originally, I indeed detect a VERY noticeable difference between 60Hz in gaming (and Windows), what I needed to know is how come I can get only 90FPS in one single game (I have to test others), and also *how* to tell if I am running at 144Hz or not.

In the nVidia Control Panel, go to Display->Change Resolution. That will show what the resolution and refresh rate of your active monitors.

In the nVidia Control Panel, go to Display->Change Resolution. That will show what the resolution and refresh rate of your active monitors.

OK, I just enabled the GamePlus mode in the OSD, and using its FPS Counter tool, I can see that I am indeed running at 144Hz.

Now if I disable the game-specific V-SYNC (in this case Battlefield 1), the GamePlus FPS Counter tool shows 60FPS, but the MSI AfterBurner shows 100~ FPS. (a solid 144 in game menus)

OK, in most other games (Titanfall 2, Doom 2016, etc.) seems like I am getting 144FPS, so I guess its working!

Last edited:
iirc there's nothing you can do about that, most cod games after mw2 (all maybe?) are capped at 90 fps in multiplayer.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Infinite_Warfare#Video_settings

60 to 90 is a huge difference. I can feel the difference from 90 to 140 but in terms of making fast game easier to play, it's not nearly as drastic as that first 60 to 90 step. So, even 90 is good.

I remember going from a 60hz crt monitor to 120hz and it was amazing.

The thing would give todays lcds a good run for their money, the only let down was the shit resolution.

Did you enable Adaptive-Vsync in the nVidia Control Panel, then disable Vsync in-game?

Back