Does my network guy ride the shortbus to work?

StoneTZ

Under the Man's Thumb...waaaaaa!
Ok here is my situation:

I've been given an office to run my business out of for free.
No complaints about that, awesome opportunity.

The existing network is about 20 computers. The internet comes in through a cable line to the modem and then to a switch.

The network guy setup a proxy (freeproxy) so everything gets along nice. The problem with this is my thunderbird / outlook or whatever else aren't liking it, also I'm having issues with FTP etc.

Is a proxy needed in this case? He said he can't network this without it. Am I missing something and shouldn't be having such a hard time with making my computer work?

I think the IT guy sucks but I'm in Chile and not paying for his time so I don't have any other options. I'm just looking for some input about how you would connect 20 computers in an office to the internet.

I'm guessing he's using freeproxy instead of a router. Are you sure the modem isn't going directly to a computer? If you have a modem connected to a router(or a modem/router combination), there would be no real need for freeproxy that I can think of.

Were I the administrator, I would block the internet and force people to work through the proxy. I would allow exceptions on a case by case basis, but it would be largely up to management and their policies.

I would investigate getting your own connection. If you need these protocols and you have no authority over the IT guy to get what you need, then you are compromising your business's capabilities.

a layer 3 switch would perform the functions of a router, negating the proxy.

well IIRC...

Proxies aren't that popular anymore...since the guy setup "free proxy" I'm guessing he's just not familiar with broadband routers.

If this were some super secured business network with tight IT policies..the guy wouldn't be using "free proxy".

The business is an auto shop, it's good sized so we have 20 computers. Most of them can't access the internet do to a lack of programs. Essentially all they can do is access a database.

He said when he used a router before it went to shit after 3 days. I would guess DHCP or something but I'm not that up on it. If I have a good solution I can propose it to the owner (father in law) and we can modify the setup, the problem is I'm working with a live work environment that I don't want to break.

I'm looking at either running another connection if I can't fix this (expensive here) or placing a router between the modem and switch to run a line off to my computer and leave the existing system as is.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

how is this database setup?

sounds to me like a simple addressing issue.

this is all over ethernet yes?

how is this database setup?

sounds to me like a simple addressing issue.

this is all over ethernet yes?

Yeah it's all over ethernet. I'm not sure exactly how the database is setup. I can ask, I need to walk about 10ft to do it. The problem is I'll probably get "wait till the IT guy gets here" for an answer.

He said when he used a router before it went to shit after 3 days.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

No offense to anyone but it was probably because he used a shit router. Not a failure of the technology, but the implementation.

Yeah, I've got a cisco 851w that I might try over the router that I'm guessing was direct from China without a brand seeing how I'm in Chile.

Yeah, I've got a cisco 851w that I might try over the router that I'm guessing was direct from China without a brand seeing how I'm in Chile.

ehhh it... agian, how is your database setup? how do you connect to it and with what programs? how is it housed?

but yeah if you used a router and it was functioning for 3 days then you're fine --from what I've heard it sounds like you're not even going to need any serious horsepower. Just with that 851w make sure you change the default login password, and pickup a couple switches (sounds like you wont even need gigabit speeds so go with the cheap stuff).

If you've got a 851w, then you should hook that up to the cable modem, then connect your switch to the Cisco. Have the Cisco do the DHCP, and that should be all you need to get out, and to connect to all of the PC's connected to the same switch.

Thanks guys.

That's what I'm going to do. I'll ask the owner what database systems he uses, it's nothing fancy or complicated though..

I'll probably have a solution on Tuesday. Not having thunderbird is killing me, checking my email through webmail is lame.

UPDATE:

Ok talked with the IT guy. He said that the issue isn't with the router. He said that the modem the cable company gave us isn't "strong enough" and we need to swap it for another. We have a motorola surboard, I can't remember exactly which.

I've never heard about needing a more powerful modem. I'm not an expert on this and maybe I'm really wrong. I figured I'd research it before calling him out and potentially looking dumb. I've been wrong before. I never thought I'd need to upgrade my modem though....

It could be something gay about the cable company though, like this modem is too locked down, I don't know, he just said stronger but we were speaking Spanish so maybe it's lost in translation.

Thanks again for the help, maybe I'll bring you guys some goodies when I go back to the U.S.

P.S. no details on the database but it's nothing complicated or involved at all and has almost nothing to do with anything.

Sounds like bull, unless the model is a router/modem combo, but even then all you would have to do is turn off all the router features(DNS/DHCP/NAT, etc) and pass-through the connection to a proper good router. Before I make a fool of myself though, I'll let one of the more knowledgeable guys here answer.

Sounds like bull, unless the model is a router/modem combo, but even then all you would have to do is turn off all the router features(DNS/DHCP/NAT, etc) and pass-through the connection to a proper good router. Before I make a fool of myself though, I'll let one of the more knowledgeable guys here answer.

I'm pretty sure your right in this regard, it just sounds like the IT guy is totally full of shit.

i would have the modem connect to a perimeter switch, then have 2 firewalls keeping your 'network' and his network separate. Also, i would use asa 5505's for the firewalls. But that is just me. I realize it can get expensive fast.

i would have the modem connect to a perimeter switch, then have 2 firewalls keeping your 'network' and his network separate. Also, i would use asa 5505's for the firewalls. But that is just me. I realize it can get expensive fast.
I dunno, for smaller environments a cheapy linux box is at least as functional AND it's easier to maintain.

Cisco only makes sense...basically when you are forced to use it.

It's just the modem, not the modem router combo. I basically said wtf when he told me that.

The thing is down here this kind of IT costs like 5 bucks an hour and works for the most part. The network is always up etc I'm just about to lose my mind over the proxy and not having FTP / an email client etc. I might just pay someone that knows what they're doing though and see about changing it. Not worth the headache.

Thanks again guys.

moto3.0.jpg

STRONG LIKE BULL

I dunno, for smaller environments a cheapy linux box is at least as functional AND it's easier to maintain.

Cisco only makes sense...basically when you are forced to use it.

Something like IPCop should do the trick, or you could get a SonicWall. :p

Maybe they have a good cable plan that needs DOCSIS 3.0 but they only have a 2.0 modem.

But he's most likely just terrible at his job.

The only thing that could be 'not strong enough' is the signal coming into the cable modem, in which case you'd be losing connectivity regardless of how the shop is set up. This IT guy is full of it - get a good solid router or configure the one you have and put it in-place of his 'free proxy' setup. Note that you might need to manually release all of the IPs and/or simply leave the modem off for a good fifteen or so minutes before putting the new router in-place.

Post the model of the cable modem you presently have...

The modem is a motorola SB5101. It was pretty classic when the cable company came in and he said he needed a stronger modem. They said "uh this is our only modem" it should work.

I'm going to come in on a Sunday I think and test out the network with my own configuration and see what happens.

Thanks for the input I'll try to keep this entertaining if I can. I have a guy that looks like Frodo in my office but he'd probably get pissed if I put a pic up.

plug in a router of some sort and buy a 24 port netgear switch and call it a day. If you want something more simple with more features then get a small little machine and run something like ipcop or pfsense on it.

done.

edit: -1 on the sonicwall, terrible terrible devices.

Semi necro update but I think you might get a laugh:

I said he could borrow my cisco 851w to split the network off and he can do his thing and I can do mine.

He grabbed it, came back 2 hours later and said the cisco router was taking the network down no matter how he configured it.

I sat there for a few minutes then realized HE NEVER ASKED ME FOR THE ENABLE PASSWORD!
WTF, in the end he said the only way to make it work is for me to purchase another line from the cable company and run it in paralelle for my own network.

The owner doesn't know anything about IT and goes with what this guy says. In the end I'm getting the best 3g plan for my phone and using it to make a hotspot to connect to...cheaper than another cable line.

I give up, it's a fail for IT and a victory for shortbus.

That 851w should be good for what you need. It'd go modem->cisco->switch
All you have to do is configure fa4 with your WAN info, and setup DHCP. Just make sure that there's nothing else on the network trying to do DHCP..bad things can happen then.
If you need help configuring the WAN/DHCP just give a yell on here. There's a lot of people that are good at it on here. I know I do it all day long at work.

It sounds like the modem already has DHCP built in and the guy is too retarded to disable it before connecting a real router. I have run into that a couple times and it made setting up a router a PITA, but it just took some trial and error to figure it out.

Back