Does my MBP C2D come with 1 stick of ram or 2?

HotL3@D

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got 1 GB of ram from apple when i bought the computer. I would like to add another GB now, but i dont know if I've got 2x512 or 1x1gb. Short of opening up my laptop, is there anyway to tell?

I believe the macbook pro's come with all memory on one stick. this is an intentional move by apple. One of the things you pay for with "pro". :)

Open up the system profiler and click on the "memory" tab. It'll give you info on what is installed in each slot.

felix88 said:
Open up the system profiler and click on the "memory" tab. It'll give you info on what is installed in each slot.

Here is what it said:

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

So bank 2, or my second slot, is open for another 1gb stick, right?

Also, do I have 2 or 3 slots for ram? And Is it conceivable to install 1gb stick in one slot, and a 2gb stick in another slot? These support up to 3gb right?

you've got 2 slots and yes, you can install a total of 3GB.

felix88 said:
you've got 2 slots and yes, you can install a total of 3GB.

I know 1gb at a minimum, 2gb is great, but is there a big advantage for having 3gb of Ram over 2?

HotL3@D said:
I know 1gb at a minimum, 2gb is great, but is there a big advantage for having 3gb of Ram over 2?
Yes.... if you have about 30 pieces of software open or just a few with very large files open. Otherwise it won't matter much

I'd just go with 2GB total. The 2GB sticks cost too damn much.

Back