Does Mayonnaise Last As A Thermal Compound?

Use a slice of bacon. You get good results and the scent of bacon thru the exhust fans.

I also tried a superfine pure copper mesh fabric. Nope. It would have nice to have a removable TIM, but it works badly.
The whole point of thermal paste is to eliminate any air voids in the mating surfaces.

Otherwise if you could in theory machine two perfectly flat surfaces with no cracks or microscopic dust you wouldn't want thermal paste. It would actually hurt performance. Because you can't make surfaces perfect enough, you use the paste to displace the air in the irregularities with something a lot better than air.

It works because of the oil in mayo, but when the organic parts break down they create resistance to the thermal transfer. Also when something rots it produces heat. If you used synthetic oil and just wiped and very thin coat on it would probably work really well on two lapped surfaces. Two uneven surfaces on the other hand would cause issues. But if you use engine oil use 5w30 or 5w40 that will get up way past the thermal death of your processor. Anything heavier will slow down the transfer of heat.

That said I'm still going to stick to Ceramique 2, because it works, and I don't have to think about it.

I also tried a superfine pure copper mesh fabric. Nope. It would have nice to have a removable TIM, but it works badly.

Um... a "superfine" copper mesh is not going to fill in the microscopic valleys and ridges that would otherwise be occupied by air, which is an insulator. That is the point of a TIM. Of course it wouldn't work well. How daft.

The copper was the dia of a human hair. Think cotton fabric.

The idea was that the fabric would crush and conform to the irregularities in the surfaces, so 25% of the contact area was metal-metal.

The fabric did not crush. While each wire was soft, they were so high of density that crushing it was insane.

They need to do a long-term testing with mayo. 2-3 days isn't enough man. Some people are desperate you know, and by golly if mayo works long-term COUNT. ME. IN!

Back