Does linux run minecraft better then windows? Which distribution should I choose?

wraiteq_

n00b
My computer runs minecraft in like 30-50 fps,but sometimes it gets a lag and for a moment the fps is down. I am thinking about installing some lightweight linux. If i install
a linux minecraft run better on it? If yes, what distro to install?
My computer specifications:
CPU: Intel pentium G2030
GPU: Intel hd graphics
RAM: 4GB
System: Windows 7

Linux is not a miracle cure. Your hardware specs are very low for games...
I would recommend Lubuntu if you want to try.

You're definitely limited by hardware, not OS. If Linux had any advantage for Minecraft, it wouldn't be noticeable on that system. Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but reality must be faced. You'll do a lot better bumping the RAM to 8GB and getting a used i5 3570 than messing around with different OS's.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unless that's a laptop where the process of changing the CPU can be daunting, used CPUs are very cheap on Ebay. Best option is to upgrade the cpu to the best model that motherboard supports. I built a server off Ebay parts for 350 dollars that had 24 threads of 3,2Ghz Xeons, 144Gb of DDR3 ECC ram and a couple of Tb of storage. It would make a nice gaming machine even unless the fans are noisy like crazy.

wraiteq_

Reboot the computer and let it load the desktop without opening any programs. Once it sits for about 10 minutes, press ctrl-shift-esc and click the performance tab. Let it sit a minute, then look at the CPU utilization. It should be at or almost zero. Also check the memory utilization, It should be at or near 1 to 1.5GB of ram.

Keep in mind you have a shared memory system which means some of that 4GB, probably 512 or 1GB, is reserved for video. That leaves very little for the system to use.

You can then open up msconfig (press win key + r and type in msconfig) and click on the Startup tab. Then check the box to hide microsoft services. Then start unchecking things that are listed. Once that is done, reboot and check the numbers again. If you find that something has been disabled from startup that you need, either manually run it or recheck the box and reboot again.

A super cheap upgrade you may want to consider is adding a second 4GB memory DIMM. If you unplug your system and take off the side panel, you should see the memory stick and there should be a slot free. Remove the stick and get the part# from it and search on eBay. You should be able to find a matching stick for maybe $10-$20. To plug the DIMM back in, there are 2 clips on each side of the slot. Push them both back and align the pin on the DIMM to the pin in the slot and press in on each corner. The clips should snap in. If they don't you can manually push them in and as long as they clip in and hold it you are good.

4Gb is plenty for Windows 7 and Minecraft is not resource hungry, the only problem is the weak cpu/gpu.

Last edited:
Back