does it usually take this long? mobility 5000 series

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm really bummed. The parents have decided its time for the broke college kid to have a laptop. I was thinking $500 netbook type of stuff, they were thinking $1200 laptop type of stuff... I've never been in a situation like this.

Anyways that was supposed to be an x-mas present, but knowing that the mobile core i5's are working their way into the product stream, and ATIs new chips have just come out, I figured I'd try to outsmart the market by waiting, and waiting.

Until this came out, and its oh so god damn close:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696

Its got everything I want... almost:
the mobility 5730 is a 400SP madison (RV850 with half its pipes disabled). As such, in desktop space, its closest relative is probably the 5670, which runs 400SP's on 1GB of GDDR5 at 4000MHz. Confined to laptop space, call it 3200MHz to boost yield and reduce power consumption / thermal requirements. I have no doubt GDDR5 is in full production. Its cost per chip is probably equal to that of the same density in GDDR3, because while its newer, its smaller, which means more come off per wafer. It also consumes less power even while pushing twice the throughput.

Alas, the mobility 5730 runs 800MHz GDDR3, for a spectacular total of 25GB/s memory throughput (where the 5670 is putting up nearly 3 times that). There's little doubt in my mind that whats going to result is difficulty in moving textures around. Shader effects will probably still be on high, but moving textures in and out of the TMU's is going to be difficult for this chip, even with some lickedy split system DDR3.

What I'm looking for exactly is identical to that asus except swap the i7 720 for somethign cheaper, and the 5730 for a 5750, which, in its normal configuration, runs 1600MHz GDDR5.

I'm wondering when we're likely to see that. Presumably all the big OEM's want to pump all their old stuff out before they start changing models, so I guess my question is, how long does that take?

Who do you guys think is likely to be the first to have a laptop with the mobillity 5750 on GDDR5?

truthfully if your willing to spend 1200, and you are a college student. I would get a HP Envy 15, with the student discount it should amount to your budget. (comes out to $1208.99)

it will be with an i5, 4gb of ram, and a mobility 5830

Some people like to talk smack about the envy, but with the huge price cuts and the upgrades they are actually nice laptops.

The ASUS has a full keypad, huge + in my book.
The HP Envy, doesn't have an integrated optical drive, huge neg for a 15inch laptop.

optical drive being external isn't a deal breaker for most. If you aren't the kind of person to use your drive on a consistent basis then this is actually a plus since it makes the chassis smaller

The ASUS has a full keypad, huge + in my book.
The HP Envy, doesn't have an integrated optical drive, huge neg for a 15inch laptop.
When was the last time you used an optical drive? (hint- probably 2008 for me)

I can't remember the last time I used the optical drive in my laptop. Last time I reinstalled Windows?? But yeah, they really aren't necessary anymore if you have an external.

but double the shader processing

yeah but thats completely crippled by that 25GB/s memory performance. You cant run 128bit wide 800MHz ram on a core that's able to compete with the entire Geforce 8000 series line and expect it to do so. It needs moar memory bandwidth.

I want GDDR5 :(

Back