Does it matter where I buy Apple products?

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
Kind of a dumb thread name. Do I need to buy from an authorized retailer for warranty etc. I'm not usually a Mac person but I'm grabbing my daughter a Macbook Air for graduation.

Seems like all the Amazon sellers are third party even if it is fulfilled by amazon.

I'm thinking the local Best Buy is my best bet.

Yes it matters, get it from an authorized reseller. Not worth saving $30 when the warranty may be an issue.

Having said that, a lot of authorized resellers sell on Amazon, so just double check before buying.

Yes it matters, get it from an authorized reseller. Not worth saving $30 when the warranty may be an issue.

Having said that, a lot of authorized resellers sell on Amazon, so just double check before buying.
Thank you I thought so. I'll do some more homework.

If your goal is to save cash, I’d recommend checking out Apples refurbished section. You can’t configure those machines, but they’re a lot less money and they come with the same warranty, and also can still have Apple care applied to them.
If you wait around and are patient, you can find generally any configuration you want.

If your goal is to save cash, I’d recommend checking out Apples refurbished section. You can’t configure those machines, but they’re a lot less money and they come with the same warranty, and also can still have Apple care applied to them.
If you wait around and are patient, you can find generally any configuration you want.
Thank you I didn't know that existed.

Thank you I didn't know that existed.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but in case you're wondering there is virtually no distinction between refurbished and new. Apple as part of their refurbished program always replaces the housing and all affected parts. Then it goes through QC like as if it were a new item, and if it fails that QC then of course all the failing parts have to be repaired/replaced until it does pass QC. It goes without saying, Apple QC is some of the best.

The only differences between a new and refurbished product is that that refurbished product will ship in a brown box instead of Apple's bright packaging with product photos on the outside, and the serial number will be a special "refurbished" serial number. But outside of those two factors they're identical.

My last several machines have all been Apple refurbs. And none of them have let me down. So, I can say from a first hand experience they work without issues. Even my 2011 iMac, which is long in the tooth and due to be replaced is still chugging. Like all things, YMMV. But all things considered, it's the same thing with a 10-15% discount.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but in case you're wondering there is virtually no distinction between refurbished and new. Apple as part of their refurbished program always replaces the housing and all affected parts. Then it goes through QC like as if it were a new item, and if it fails that QC then of course all the failing parts have to be repaired/replaced until it does pass QC. It goes without saying, Apple QC is some of the best.

The only differences between a new and refurbished product is that that refurbished product will ship in a brown box instead of Apple's bright packaging with product photos on the outside, and the serial number will be a special "refurbished" serial number. But outside of those two factors they're identical.

My last several machines have all been Apple refurbs. And none of them have let me down. So, I can say from a first hand experience they work without issues. Even my 2011 iMac, which is long in the tooth and due to be replaced is still chugging. Like all things, YMMV. But all things considered, it's the same thing with a 10-15% discount.
Thats pretty great. Interestingly on the Macbook Air the new price at Best Buy is what Apple is selling a refurb for.

Thats pretty great. Interestingly on the Macbook Air the new price at Best Buy is what Apple is selling a refurb for.

On occasion it does happen. Apple generally doesn't "push" as hard to clear out old stock as a B&M will. This is a unique opportunity.
However, Ming Kuo (I think was the one discussing this rumor) believes that a new "Retina Air" is coming. Which I guess would make sense. Because either the Air needs a massive overhaul, or it needs to stop existing as a product line (the regular 12" Macbook seems like it's more or less the replacement for the Air. Albeit with the Macbook costing more, but I sort of figured as soon as the cost of making them went down, the Macbook would've replaced the Air in terms of cost, and then the Air would be officially discontinued. If there is a new Air model, then obviously my assertion is incorrect).

So if buying a machine that more or less hasn't been updated since 2014 is okay with you, and you won't get buyer's remorse when a new shiny model comes out, then the price will probably not get much lower.

I usually get my hardware from Best Buy because I've had great experiences with customer service at my local one, and I get 45-day returns (Elite Plus member). Stuff is always in stock, and the Apple reps there know what they're talking about between the various Best Buy's I've been at. It's a bonus to be able to collect points and redeem them for $-off certificates as well.

Reactions: Liver
like this
To Add to BiH115's comment, you can sign up for "Education Coupons" at Best Buy that can be an extra $50-$200 off as long as you have access to a Student Email.

If you have a little time flexibility, it's an easy way to save more money, as long as you are getting a "standard" layout (i.e. something in stock).

Bought a refurbed iPad from that a few years ago. Looked brand new.

You might want to hold off until Apple's WWDC (June 4th) to see if there's a MacBook Air refresh. Savings are great, but so is making sure you're getting a system that will last!

Except last year at WWDC they announced MacBook updates, iMac Pro, plus the HomePod and 10.5 iPad Pro...

They specified this particualarly for this year that they were only focusing on software at WWDC.

Back