Does it matter what drive bootloader is on for boot up speeds?

illram

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a PCI-E SSD and an M.2. It's a long story but my windows boot manager is on my M.2 drive. Windows is on the PCI-E. Apparently my PCI-E boots faster than my M.2, according to reviews and people online, so my question is: does the boot manager's presence on the M.2 mean I am going by the M.2 drive's speed when booting, or is the important thing whichever drive windows is on, as far as boot time goes? In other words, what determines boot time: where the boot manager is, or where windows is? Because if it doesn't matter, then I'm not going to bother moving it.

I know we are talking tiny differences in times but this is a new build and I'd like it all squared away before I venture off into the abyss. Thanks!

The bootloader just tells your computer where to boot from. So I don't think you can measure the difference. That being said, it's a weakness. Your Windows won't be able to boot anymore if you remove the M.2 ssd (or it dies).

If this was my new computer I would remove the M.2 ssd and reinstall Windows on the pcie drive just to get everything on the same drive. Then you can put the M.2 drive back when Windows is installed.

The bootloader just tells your computer where to boot from. So I don't think you can measure the difference. That being said, it's a weakness. Your Windows won't be able to boot anymore if you remove the M.2 ssd (or it dies).

If this was my new computer I would remove the M.2 ssd and reinstall Windows on the pcie drive just to get everything on the same drive. Then you can put the M.2 drive back when Windows is installed.
Thanks. I think I will do that for the reasons you described.

Anyone have experience with Easy UEFI? It can apparently copy or just move the EFI boot partition.

Back