does it make any sense for me to upgrade?

Currently have an Intel i5-3570k cpu, 8gb ram + nvidia 580 gtx + 1920x1080 120hz benq monitor. For me, it seems like I get ok FPS for most games, so am not feeling extreme need....but part of me thinks I should upgrade to the 7xx series...or perhaps maybe it would be better off just to wait for the 800 series if they really are releasing q1. what say you?

Maybe bumping up the video card and ram could future proof you some more.

There's no significant performance increase from Ivy to Haswell to justify buying a new motherboard and cpu.

At 60Hz, you are on the edge of needing an upgrade to get smooth gaming with everything.
To make good use of your 120Hz monitor, more graphics performance is needed.

I would only change the video card if I had your kit.
If you arent unhappy with your performance, wait for the next gen cards.

Your CPU and RAM are fine, but it might be worthwhile to upgrade your video card so you can boost your FPS. With a 120Hz monitor you'd likely see a noticeable increase in smoothness. What is your budget? I might hold off to see what AMD is launching. If nothing else, it will drive down costs on NVIDIA hardware.

if you want to upgrade, then upgrade.

The GPU is the only thing that would requite upgrading - but I would wait for the HD9000 (mid october release) to see what they do to prices on the 700-series cards both new and used.

if you want to upgrade, then upgrade.

The GPU is the only thing that would requite upgrading - but I would wait for the HD9000 (mid october release) to see what they do to prices on the 700-series cards both new and used.

This its the best option.. Could happens two things, one, AMD new 9000 series will be able to outperform 780/TITAN performance for less price... Or would perform pretty similar at a much lower price, forcing the 7XX series to drop down their prices.. In any of the possible cases, it worth to wait.

Your CPU is fine for a while, Haswell isn't much of a bump, especially if you overclocked the 3570k to 4.0 or higher.

Memory may be needed if you edit a lot of files or Photo/video work. I was surprised to see over 8GBs memory being used when I ran MCEBuddy converting over 1,000 video files.

Your lowest part in your rig, not really since it is still powerful, the GTX 580. You can get a 700 series card, a 770 should be enough but some may warrant that its nothing but a 7 Ghz memory 680. SLI 760s would be a good option that is cheap but will be good for 120 Hz 1080p (or Lightboost 120 Hz). They are pretty efficient in power, so you may not need a new power supply with your GPU upgrade.

It would be good to wait for the 9000 series or whatever name scheme they use now, as it may or may not lower prices on the 700 series.

If you upgrade, go 770 or better. Not worth it otherwise.

cool, thanks for the suggestions. Wasn' aware that AMD was releasing something in the next month or so. I'm really only looking to upgrade the video card - so I will hold off!

a GTX 780 would be a nice upgrade for you but I would personally wait to see what happens in a month

Currently have an Intel i5-3570k cpu, 8gb ram + nvidia 580 gtx + 1920x1080 120hz benq monitor. For me, it seems like I get ok FPS for most games, so am not feeling extreme need....but part of me thinks I should upgrade to the 7xx series...or perhaps maybe it would be better off just to wait for the 800 series if they really are releasing q1. what say you?

I just went from a 7970 to a 780 and couldn't be happier. I have missed Nvidia in my short absence. I'll am going to upgrade to 4770k next and then I'll look at SLI or 8 series upgrade.

How is that helpful?

Let's see, I am going to assume that since you can't figure out how to use the QUOTE function of the forum that you were replying to me.

My answer, how DOESN'T it. I was in a similar predicament about waiting to upgrade or upgrading, decided to jump from 7970 (which is obviously better than what he's looking to upgrade from) and STILL saw a good improvement. Does my less verbose version explain it to you well enough so that even YOU can figure how how "it might be helpful?" smfh

Cool, was asking for the ops benefit.

For example, you said you couldnt be happier, no reason why.
There are many potential reasons, like you missed NVidia so much that its a really great thing for you, you had problems with the 7970 and dont with the NVidia card, you prefer the features of the NVidia card, the performance is better...
There are many irrelevant posts made here, yours could have been one.

^lol

Hey OP did you overclock your 3570k? It's still a very very strong CPU but I got to ask because the curiosity is killing me. Your 580 is probably a bit faster than my 7870ghz edition or in the same ball park (to lazy to look) and I am looking to get just a tad bit more power. I'm happy right now but just want a bit more. If it helps I am going to wait to see what AMD is doing with these rumored cards. They usually start at a reasonable price point. I'm running a cheaper CPU (fx6350) but make up a little by overclocking the shit out of it. Are you partial to Nvidia or AMD? Just wondering if that matters. I don't know of any 800 series announcements or speculation.

Also, I would wait to go 16gb on the ram if it makes or breaks moving up in the graphics department. I am running a 16gb kit of ddr1600 and did some benchmarking with one of the sticks out. My score was the same running 8gb as it was with 16gb, in a year or so I'm sure that could change. Hope this was helpful in some way. I really feel you on this one.

Cool, was asking for the ops benefit.

For example, you said you couldnt be happier, no reason why.
There are many potential reasons, like you missed NVidia so much that its a really great thing for you, you had problems with the 7970 and dont with the NVidia card, you prefer the features of the NVidia card, the performance is better...
There are many irrelevant posts made here, yours could have been one.

... Are you happy with a choice that you made...I made an incremental upgrade, supposedly and couldn't be happier or more satisfied, with the performance gains, the stability of the drivers, the overclocking, pick your choice. Seriously retards like you who fucking have to try and nitpick are what keeps growing my blocked filter. Buhbye and have a nice trip.

Try giving useful info, your post looked like a cheap way for you to boast :p
Your loss.

^lol

If it helps I am going to wait to see what AMD is doing with these rumored cards. They usually start at a reasonable price point. I'm running a cheaper CPU (fx6350) but make up a little by overclocking the shit out of it. Are you partial to Nvidia or AMD? Just wondering if that matters. I don't know of any 800 series announcements or speculation.

If you're in the mood to wait, I would hold out for the next AMD cards and see what they bring to the table. At the least it should push price points down on the 780's, that's when I am looking to hopefully add another. If OP is looking to upgrade then jump as high up the ladder as you can afford to 770 and above, and enjoy your gaming. We can always wait for "the next best thing" or we can enjoy whatever we can.

Incidentally, from today's news on [H]

Next-Generation AMD Radeon Series Nomenclature Detailed?
The crew at techPowerUP claim to have details on AMD's new Radeon nomenclature. According to the post, new cards from AMD will be named like this:

Oh, and before I get jumped on for "how is this relevant?"

RTFA said:
That all is about to change with the company's Volcanic Islands GPU family, which will be unveiled (at least to the press), later this month.

If 8XX series is planned for 20nm, which considering nvidia has done their 2nd release on 28nm it probably is, then the wait will be a lot longer than early next year. Expect 20nm cards 2H 2014. I would upgrade now, 580 is pretty long in the tooth. Consider that a nicely overclocked GTX 780>580 SLI, it would be a huge upgrade. 770 not so much.

yeah, thanks for all of the advice..i'm happy with my cpu + ram (there is no need for 16gb unless you are doing video editing / lots of photoshop work) - really was just looking at the video card. I would love to upgrade to the 780, have a hard time stomaching the price of it though.

Back