Does it bother you when someone else has 'YOUR' in-game name?

Standpoint

[H]ard|Gawd
Maybe I'm kind of lame about it, but I have used Standpoint in pretty much every game since about 1999. I find it easy for people I know to find me, and for people I haven't talked to in a long time to find me. I feel that the name is fairly uncommon. Some people use different names in different games, so don't have this problem, but I would imagine that there are plenty of people out there like me.

How much does it bother you to find your in-game name taken?

On a side note, I was playing MW2 online a few days ago, and found myself on a server with someone who had the exact same name as me. Found it really odd, and mentioned it to the other player. The other player just kept responding to me, 'Are you talking to yourself', which I also found odd. I asked where the other player had come up with the name, and they said that they saw it in another game and liked it, (that was also probably me).

It would bug me if I found someone that used WhyYouLoveMe in a game. So far I haven't. It pays to have a stupid screen name. ;)

i have used SoAndSo or variations using SoAndSo such as PanicAtTheSoAndSo! or SoAndSomg etc etc
i have never had an issue with it ever.
there was a case back in like 2000 in the NZ/AUS ut99 scene where there was a "duel off" for the right to use the name chaos lol. Chaos:zen won and ended up at WCG :)

Doesn't bother me. I can understand why it might bother some people though since it might feel like their identity is being taken from them.

The benefits of a unique last name, I don't have to deal with that problem.

It would bother me very little unless the person did something like using hacks.

Of course, what I really like doing is going around to different servers using the name 'A Little Girl'. It's funny how the teammates of a person who got shot by me react. I'm so evil that way. :p

Well I believe there was someone on Hardforums named "KingIcewind" or something along those lines maybe "King_Icewind". He got banned. It wasn't me.

My name is pretty unique so if you see another King Icewind. It "should" be me. :D

when i joined [H] forum it pissed me off that someone was already using my longtime alias "Standpoint". i wish that guy would just leave the forums.

:p seriously though it doesn't bother me because i use, what i imagine, are somewhat common in-game names. only time it's bothered me was during a round of MW2 when i played with a guy with the same name and asked him about it. he said "yeah i played with you last night and thought the name was awesome. plus you were owning people". not only did he steal my 'awesome' name, but part of his motive was that i happened to have a good round when i played with him. plus, he was using words like "owning"....which i despise.

ya i use the same name for all my games and if i cant use it it annoys me /shrug

One of the best things about MW2 is being able to change your name. My friends and I would choose a theme and have the best time with it.

The only problem I ever have is when I register this name somewhere and forget the password or use an old e-mail address. In that situation I have several backup nicks that I also consider very unique.

It does, just a little bit. Most of the names that I use are pretty unique, though, so it's rare for me to see someone else with 'em.

I mostly play WoW, and what bothers me even more is when someone has a name like "Xxlegolasx" or "Darkpaladinzzx"...

yeah it pisses me off.. thats why i refuse to use xfire because some idiot used the same name i use on an account that hasnt been active in almost 3 years.. been using "sirmonkey" for over 15 years now..

It would bother me very little unless the person did something like using hacks.

Of course, what I really like doing is going around to different servers using the name 'A Little Girl'. It's funny how the teammates of a person who got shot by me react. I'm so evil that way. :p

so your the jackass that uses that name.. :p

You think that's bad? Try having it, and another variation taken. Normally I try to get "Azureth" but if that is taken I use "Azurethor". Only one time has both been taken.

My name is from a hilarious Canadian TV comedy show that pretty much no one saw, and I have not once seen anyone else use the name. If I do see someone else with the name, I will ask them what reference it is from, and if they can't tell me I will demand that they stop using the name, since only those worthy may use it.

I've only run into it a few times...It's cool though, I've got a couple alternates now that unique.

Yeah it does which is why I ended up coming up with a new name. I still occasionally now find my current one taken.

Mine seems unique enough to where I've never ran into someone with the same name, and *usually* can register this name on anything without having to change it up. But it does annoy me when I can't get it.

It bothers me a little but I will usually just add some numbers if my original is taken.

An old LAN buddy used the nick Ghostwheel. When Tribes 2 first came out he jumped in right away. After a couple of weeks another guy sent him a message in game demanding he give it up because it didn't belong to him. Was funny, you had to be there.

NO ONE in the history of gaming has ever used my name. Most people don't know what it means or how it's pronounced. I've literally had this gaming name 1996.

Mine seems unique enough to where I've never ran into someone with the same name, and *usually* can register this name on anything without having to change it up. But it does annoy me when I can't get it.

Ha. I used to have a co-worker we called Skizzy-B........we hated that guy...:p

Theres some guy out there with my exact real name who has a blog about his cancer. I have had lost family look for me and this other guy has so many links on google that it makes it impossible to find me (even on facebook).

back when I used to go by the name of "master bation" it would have bothered me, but as it happened I did not see anyone else using the name in those games.

I was in a game filled with Spy in MW2, thought it was kiinda fun.

It doesn't bother me. If my name isn't available I simply use another one. I've never run into my virtual doppleganger though.

Noone takes my name since it wouldn't be worth it. I just get a lot of people who assume I am either an illiterate fan of Narnia or an illiterate fan of seas in the old soviet bloc.

back in the 90's I played quakeworld and quake 2 as 'Neo'. Then that blasted Matrix film went and ruined it for me :p

To Commander FAT: I think I've seen you online before. I thought my name was pretty unique too. I really can't think of why someone would take my name, but you never know.

To Lloose: My real name is the same as a famous female marine biologist that worked w/ disney. Trying to google my name brings up multiple pages before any real link to me.

I've tried numeric alternatives, generally I use to go for 666 before my kids, but now that I game w/ them, I don't.

I guess I need to come up w/ a good alternate, but the name really IS my best handle, it has a history and a personal significance to me. Used to be the name of my band back in the day.

mine is never taken... when it was Arrows it was another story, I started using Arr911ws , Arr69ws or other variation to fit my mood. Then i stopped at Arr4ws since it was easier to read. There is no ''l33t'' talking attached to the signification of my name.... its just Arr4ws.

When I go to register my name and it says "already in use" I go "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!". And then I get some other name and move on.

I had the same problem - on one side I'm flattered but on the other it pisses me off because I have to modify my name to something else

On a side note, I was playing MW2 online a few days ago, and found myself on a server with someone who had the exact same name as me. Found it really odd, and mentioned it to the other player. The other player just kept responding to me, 'Are you talking to yourself', which I also found odd. I asked where the other player had come up with the name, and they said that they saw it in another game and liked it, (that was also probably me).

theres a program that will copy other players names and change theirs to match. COD MW is where I say it the most, im guessing MW2 is no different

btw it was the people hacking and botting who would do this

Back